Golf:A sport or not?

cash3

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:02 pm
I would just like to know who out there believes golf is a sport and who is still stubburn enough to say it isn't.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 29
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:10 pm
Is
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:13 pm
I think it depends on how consistently you can drive your ball deep into the woods.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:12 pm
Sure. So's shuffleboard, but it hasn't quite made it to the olympics. Who could stand the tension?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:47 pm
Re: Golf:A sport or not?
cash3 wrote:
I would just like to know who out there believes golf is a sport and who is still stubburn enough to say it isn't.

Stubborn you say....

I'll then just say TECHNICALLY it's a sport.
0 Replies

cash3

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 03:28 pm
Ok thank you but why "UNTECHNICALLY" isn't it a sport?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:10 pm
It's because golf seems to be played by old school'n people, people who dress up casually and people who are rich and out of all 3 things there I hate all 3.

People here say cycling is a sport... okay that's fine a bicycle save $100 (depends where you live) and get your self one and peddle.

the marathon is a sport... all you need are ANY pair of shoes then you're good...

I'll say SOCCER/FOOTBALL (depends where you live) is a sport because all you need is a ball then kick around and you have yourself a a game.

Same with basketball all you need is a BALL, dribble it then you have yourself a sport... okay maybe a basketball net is a little expensive... when you don't have one MAKE one... then play the game...

Also with all these sports you drench, sweat and there's intense running/motion in all 3 of the examples I gave.... in golf NONE... you don't sweat unless if you're playing in the Sahara Desert and there's no intense running/motion involved because all you do is use a club (very EXPENSIVE by the way) and hit the ball to some stupid hole.... and they get special treatment for that... and they ride a caddie along the course... I mean what up wit that... at least if they ran to their holes or played speed golf then it might be a sport.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:49 am
i'd categorize swatting a golf ball 300 yards as an intense motion...
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:29 am
Golf involves an intense coordination between the body and the mind; if that's not sport, then I'd like to know what is, and to golf well is almost a spiritual excerise.

Playing 18 holes means walking 3 or 4 miles up and down hills, a good excerise regimen and the only excerise a lot of middle-aged men get. What is disgusting is young men riding around on electric carts.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:33 am
Golf involves an intense coordination between the body and the mind; if that's not sport, then I'd like to know what is. To golf well is akin to a spiritual excerise.

Playing 18 holes means walking 3 or 4 miles up and down hills, a good excerise regimen and the only excerise a lot of middle-aged men get. What is disgusting is young men riding around on electric carts.

I'll admit, though, that as a spectator sport, it fails in comparison to other sports.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:58 am
Main Entry: 2sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

Yeah...it is a sport.

Not "maybe it is a sport" or "it is a sport of a sort" or even "technically it is a sport."

It is a sport. PERIOD.

And it is my second favorite sport.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 12:01 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
I'll admit, though, that as a spectator sport, it fails in comparison to other sports.

... like horseshoes?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:

... like horseshoes?

... like ice skating?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:04 am
i was in the "not a sport" category until i played for the first time. considering every muscle in my back and right leg and right side hurt like hell the next day, i'd go for sport any day now! and anyone who says its easy to play 18 holes, man they are just wrong. i was a competitive swimmer for 14 years so i believed anything that didn't absolutely kill you when you were doing it (leaving you gasping for air, heaving, and down right lifeless) wasn't a sport. Golf may not getcha right away, but if you are conditioned for it, those muscles hurt the next day.

Sport it is...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:06 am
... like shopping all day at the mall?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:49 pm
Like walking all day in a shopping mall...
0 Replies

cash3

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Like walking all day in a shopping mall...

No, Not like walking all day in a shopping mall. There you walk on a flat surface a couple hundred yards carrying just your self. Golf you walk thousands of yards carrying or pulling al your clubs. Let us not forget that in that time you use many of your major muscles swinging the club. O and one more thing, there are definitely hills and no air conditioning.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:13 pm
... that's right. It's more like a walk in a park than in a mall.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
Okay Cash there are golf karts/buggys/whatever you call them that people ride to their holes and on that cart there is room for you to put your hitting sticks on that cart.

Now that's more like Playdiums go cart's just a little slower and less exciting.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:50 pm
Cash my bad it's more like walking in your backyard all day soaking in the sun with a knapsack (with nothing in it) on your back.
0 Replies