A Chinese Student Gets Caught after Spiking a Girl's Drink

goldberg

Tue 14 Jul, 2020 06:51 pm
@RABEL222,
You could show that Chinese article to Chinese Americans and let them tell you what's it all about. Another option would be to find some Chinese students studying in America. Some Chinese Americans don't even speak Chinese; they only speak English
0 Replies

goldberg

Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:32 pm
@hingehead,
Could be. To my mind, it's worrisome that lots of Chinese girls simply set great store by the idea that money is everything, not true love. Other than that, they even belittle the perception that knowledge is power, thinking that being celebrities is a better choice. That's why the so-called 读书无用论-it means it's useless to read books in English-has gained contraction among the young in China.

The advent of TikTok or Youtube's knockoffs in China, say, Youku and Bibibi, simply gives them a chance to get famous quickly and make bumper financial gains. As a result, some Chinese youngsters would prefer to be online sales reps hawking beauty or skin-care products just like Li Jiaqi or 李佳琦 in Chinese, who has become the most popular beauty vlogger and salesman flogging lipsticks online, despite being a man. Local authorities in Shanghai even call him a special talent.

That's a departure from conventional wisdom in China and the long-held view that argues 万般皆下品,唯有读书高-it means reading books takes precedence over other things in English.

In my book, nefarious theories like 读书无用论 and the proliferation of materialism in China, if anything, are going to imperil China's efforts to restore its greatness.

Anyway, maybe it's time for me to sell lipsticks online as well if I want to be a special talent.

0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 14 Jul, 2020 10:13 pm
@hingehead,
Dang - I meant to say go to site in Chrome, which will ask if you want a translation from translate.google.com.
0 Replies

goldberg

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 05:39 am
@goldberg,
This student hasn't been taken into custody, according to the victim. Local police are said to be launching an investigation.

The victim told the press that she's not going to buy into the perp's assorted excuses. The perp had told the girl that it was just a prank.

"I'm so sorry. Just name your price. Please don't make a fuss about this anymore, " this student reportedly said this to the victim
goldberg

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 05:48 am
@goldberg,
I think University of Dayton hasn't been notified. Some Chinese students wrote yesterday that they were going to report this student. The victim would have been raped by him if someone hadn't found the student spiking her drink
goldberg

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 06:03 am
@goldberg,
What a pity that CNN and MSNBC won't be covering this scandal since the victim is not black.

You also wouldn't catch American feminists fulminating against the perp because this victim is not American. Welcome to this selfish world.

Duh.

RABEL222

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 12:38 pm
@goldberg,
Do you wear a face mask when you go out in public?
goldberg

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:26 pm
@RABEL222,
The answer is yesssssssss. I wouldn't buffalo Bari Weiss for speaking out against cancel culture to boot. It's galling that the New York Times has embraced tribalism.
goldberg

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:34 pm
@goldberg,
Andrew Sullivan , who once wrote for Time magazine and currently writes for New York Magazine, has resigned as well.

0 Replies

goldberg

Wed 15 Jul, 2020 09:39 pm
@goldberg,
This student has been arrested.
0 Replies