What resources should I use for comedy writing about American rural life and culture?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 10:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Have you seen Throw Momma From The Train?

You remind me of the woman who wanted to write a story set in a submarine.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 11:16 am
@izzythepush,
LOL.

I'm familiar with the movie. I never watched it all the way through.

I meant if I want to know something I can just look it up in books, magazines and other resources at my local library or simply go online. I can go online and do research by using online resources and by word-of-mouth.

Who has time and money to go live with other people for a year? I don't. I'm not preparing for a movie role.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 11:30 am
@izzythepush,
No one said anything about kids being stupid. Kids in this generation are more knowledgeable about certain things than kids in previous generations because they have the internet.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 11:38 am
@JGoldman10,
You can’t just look something up. In order to get a feel for a place you need to go there, walk the streets.

I know Amsterdam, I’ve been there a lot on holiday. The last time I went I took a notebook and started jotting things down, looking for places that would fit in with my plot. I imagined the protagonist walking the streets and how he would feel.

I needed to do that in order to make it real. Scooby Doo set one of its shows in Scotland with the worst Scottish accents ever, even worse than Groundskeeper Willie, and wrong place names. They went for an amalgam of Glasgow and Edinburgh but pronounced it American not Scottish or even English.

Scarborough is a popular holiday resort in Yorkshire. We pronounce it Scar brugh. Two syllables none of that borrow nonsense. That’s how place names ending borough are pronounced over here. All of them, no exceptions.

Now I know it’s only a kid’s show but it was clear the production team have never been to Scotland. It was terrible
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 11:40 am
@JGoldman10,
So kids who live in the country will know you know nothing about living in the country.

I’m giving good advice. Write about what you know. Set your story somewhere familiar with characters based on people around you.

It doesn’t have to be boring.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 12:54 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm aiming my cartoons and comics at all kids.

My family and I stayed in a hotel in West Virginia one year when my brother and I were kids. My parents wanted to move down there but that never happened. We visited some of the sites and scenes in West Virginia while we were down there. I recall going to a local diner down there.

I temporarily lived in a rural part of upstate NY before I moved to where I am now.

I've watched and listened to Jeff Foxworthy and Ray Stevens, and listened to clips from rural American radio shows on YouTube. I've seen stuff about American rural life on YouTube and on TV.

My ex-pastor is from Mississippi. He's talked about what things were like there.

I do have some idea of what rural American culture is like.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 01:30 pm
I thought Mamma's Family was kind of funny.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 03:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I thought Mama's Family was kinda funny.

The original had some mildly amusing momsnts.

When it came back a few years later, it had lost much of its energy.

Similar in ways to the shows I mentioned earlier in the thread, it is incredibly offensive, in oh so many ways.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 03:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't do anything.

Well then. There's the proof that he never plagiarizes!

Quote:
Write about what you know.

At this point, I'd be stunned if he wrote anything.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
I'm actually working on my cartoon/comic idea. I'm writing and developing story ideas and design and and developing characters. I actually thought about how I can make this idea work as a series.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 10:12 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm actually working on my cartoon/comic idea. I'm writing and developing story ideas and design and and developing characters. I actually thought about how I can make this idea work as a series.

I am doing something. I think this series idea is a lot better than the one I had about street fighters fighting crime.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 10:14 am
I am going to go back to doing research on hillbilly and redneck terminology.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 10:39 am
@JGoldman10,
You’ve done a lot of researching, you were researching when I first met you.

Are you sure you’re not looking for an excuse to put off doing something?

If you write about what you know you don’t have to do any research, you can just get on with it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 04:05 pm
@izzythepush,
“He can’t handle the truth“
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 05:25 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't have to justify anything to you or anyone else here. I am working on something.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 03:38 am
@JGoldman10,
You always have been “working on something.”

You’re right, you don’t have to justify ourself to anyone, but that doesn’t mean we have to swallow your bullshit.

If you want to lie to yourself, pretend you’re doing something instead of procrastinating, fair enough.

Don’t expect anyone else to believe it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 03:31 am
I learned something interesting. Hookworms made rednecks and hillbillies retarded by them being barefoot. This is how the stereotype of the dumb redneck and dumb hillbilly originated. Apparently hookworms are and were a problem in the shoeless American South.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:37 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I learned something interesting. Hookworms made rednecks and hillbillies retarded by them being barefoot. This is how the stereotype of the dumb redneck and dumb hillbilly originated. Apparently hookworms are and were a problem in the shoeless American South.

I know it's customary to go barefoot in certain parts of the U.S. when it's hot but why would rednecks and hillbillies willingly go barefoot if they knew hookworm exists?

That makes no sense.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:44 am
@JGoldman10,
Have you ever considered they couldn’t afford shoes?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 11:48 am
@izzythepush,
True. There was a lot of poverty in the American South.
0 Replies