The Learning Channel's -- "What not to wear"

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 01:24 pm
A friend called me the other night to distract me about the war I think, and asked me if I had ever seen the show, "What not to wear" on The Learning Channel. I finally found it on the new cable system, and turned it on, and I couldn't believe what a mean premise the show has.

Friends and family nominate someone as being a fashion victim and or bad dresser and these two "fashion" experts come in and go through their closet. The person tries on the clothes and they tell them what is wrong with the outfits, how bad they look etc. Then the person gets their "advice" and some serious cash $5,000 to go shopping, sometimes alone, sometimes with the experts.

The woman I saw looked very distressed, especially when the male fashion expert (Wayne?), told her she had chicken fat and was popping out of a strapless dress.

It was a bit over the top and very pretentious, none of the fun spirit of some of the other shows such as "Fashion Emergency" on E and Style, were people willing volunteers, and even though were being made over -- the critiques were done with humor, etc.

What I didn't get were the experts on this TLC show, especially this guy Wayne, he had long, straggley hair which looked like 80's MTV heavy metal video hair and was wearing a rugby striped polo shirt which wasn't that flattering either. Stripes vs. the TV camera is usually a huge, no no anyway, especially on low rent cable shows.

And I was surprised that TLC would run a show like this at all, I guess they need filler.

Has anyone ever seen it? What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,884 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 01:38 pm
Edithdoll -
I admit, I have been enjoying the show What Not To Wear, but I don't watch anything on the learning channel, mine is on BBC America. It has two women who say they are not your best friends, but actually seem kind and quite funny... they also give good advice about what not to wear. The nominated person gets to decide if she wants to participate... and is enticed with a check for two thousand pounds. I wonder if these shows are the same, or if one is British and one American?
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
I don't know, we have BBC America too but I think I saw the American version, which runs on TLC, this wouldn't be the first time a lot of these shows were British first, and then they made an American verision, for example, "Changing rooms" and then "Trading Spaces."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 01:58 pm
Right... but usually not the same name. I adore Changing Rooms. I thought I'd seen Trading Spaces, I have seen a similar American decorating show, but there was no trading... it was just fixing up a room in one person's home and unfortunately, I did not catch the show title. It was not the same as the contest between the two designers, which is what I like to see. Since I've seen every C.R. episode three or four times, I just pop in and pop out between chores... its the way I "watch" TV anyway.

There is also a show, new this season on BBC, about two teams given 200 pounds and an hour to search through an antique market... then a week later their findings are auctioned off. The team who makes the most (or loses the least!) wins. Great fun. Haven't seen the "merican version of this, yet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
What not to Wear does seem a bit horrifying for the poor individual in the spotlight. I saw the same one with the poor girl just torn apart at all moments, and thought that perhaps since her personality allowed it, it was okay...it turned out okay in the end, she did need the help.
I dont like that they tape people secretly for two weeks both inside and outside their own home...there were some things I dont think should have been shared with the viewing public...poor gal.

Piff...Ive seen the antiques show..cant remember the name, but it is funny and interesting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 04:42 pm
i love 'em all. i think the what not to wear show started as a Dame Edna segment originally. They sent cameras in to film people's closets/cupboards etc, then brought them in on some pretence and said 'what would we find if we looked in your ... ' . It was evil, and totally addictive.
0 Replies