Can morality be objective in a world without God?

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:16 pm
yes
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:17 pm
Yeah, our concept of truth and knowledge is dependent on a person. However, do you not see that a concept is a connection made based on something? And to what other things are truth and knowledge based on than reality itself. We require empirical and rational capabilities in order to know something. Empirical observations are gathered by "direct" interactions between our sensory receptors and stimuli in the environment. A reasoning of these empirical observations work, because it is real. Something that is not real can not work. Saying that we can fly will not make us fly.

True, that we can not imagine what reality would be like outside our senses, but then again, isn't this what our senses allow us to do? To interact with the environment and enable us to be aware of it? Looking at what matter really looks in appearance outside the senses is a fallacy, because there is no awareness of these shapes if we do not have senses. At least for now that's what I think is true, and it's assuming that a conscious supreme being does not exist.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:10 am
JLNobody wrote:
Quote:
Cryacuz, I also like your statement that "truth is the dualistic counterpart [of] reality. All STATEMENTS about reality are dualistic; but Reality is itself unitary/non-dualistic. But notice that in acknowledging this possibility you are also acknowledging a difference between truth and reality.

Yes, there is a difference. But what we consider to be true has a direct connection to what we consider to be real. If it's real then it's true. But the thing is that even though it is true, it is not neccecarily real.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:09 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Quote:
Cryacuz, I also like your statement that "truth is the dualistic counterpart [of] reality. All STATEMENTS about reality are dualistic; but Reality is itself unitary/non-dualistic. But notice that in acknowledging this possibility you are also acknowledging a difference between truth and reality.

Yes, there is a difference. But what we consider to be true has a direct connection to what we consider to be real. If it's real then it's true. But the thing is that even though it is true, it is not neccecarily real.

You are both confused about the nature of truth. If I say 'it is raining', and you look out of the window and see it is raining, then what is true is 'it is raining'.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 03:41 pm
There is the universal concept of raining that is expressed out of necessity in a determinate situation of raining. There is a thus such a duality: every idea has a plurality in its universal form and a singularity in its determinateness.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
John Jones, what is "true" is not the reality of raining but, as you indicate, the STATEMENT, "it is raining." You are agreeing with me--not that guy, Cyracuz.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 03:59 pm
Cryacuz, you say that "what we consider to be true has a direct connection to what we consider to be real. If it's real then it's true.
But the thing is that even though it is true, it is not neccecarily real."

I agree that there seems to be a need for a connection between real and true. But you say that something can be true but not real (???). Do you refer to a logically "valid" statement that is purely analytical and non-empirical" (i.e., conclusion follows premise)? Such statements are "true" by convention but not "real", i.e., having no necessary connection with empirical experience.
So, in that sense I understand your "it can be true but not real", but I don't understand "if it's real then it's true."
Ultimate Reality, if that's what you're referring to, is beyond the dichotomy, true and false.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:09 pm
Truth and Reality are exactly the same thing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:42 pm
Mere assertion is not enough; please tell us why you think that is so. If it is the truth, please try to enlighten us.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 05:28 am
"If it is real, then it is true."

This is simple. I say: "If I drop a stone it will fall", and the statement is true because the stone does indeed fall. If it is real it is true. To say that the stone would float on air is unrealistic, and therefore untrue.

I am sitting here thinking that the example is a bad one because it is flawed, when it dawns on me that it is not the example, but our perception that is flawed. The thing is that maybe someday science will make stones float. It would result in a need to rewrite volumes of written "truth".

I am tempted to leave it at the conclusion that truth is "the most accurate accounting of our experience, as recorded by ourselves". From there it is easy to see that truth is bound to change as perception does.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
Cryacuz, I see a significant difference between giving an "accurate account" and making a nomological (law-like) proposition about invariant relationships between variables. An account is a "description" of experience; the other is an "explanation".
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
JLNobody wrote:
John Jones, what is "true" is not the reality of raining but, as you indicate, the STATEMENT, "it is raining." You are agreeing with me--not that guy, Cyracuz.

I don't want to say that it is the statement that is true, for then any statement would do to fulfill our criterion of truth, or what passes for a statement. Let us not split words and meaning in this way but instead say that what is true is that 'it is raining'.

If now, you want to propose that 'it is raining' refers to the reality of whether it is raining or not, then I would say that it is not
necessary to invoke the 'reality' of 'it is raining'. The term 'reality' seems to me to be simply another way of saying something is true.

I have not looked in detail at the concept 'truth' here, and it is just as well as I think much accepted baggage needs to be thrown out concerning the notion, and this would not find favour with everyone.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:16 pm
John Jones, it seems so clear to me that "truth" is an evaluation we make of statements that meet certain criteria: logical consistency, canons of evidence, etc.. I grant that a truth proposition that has no connection with "reality" is not likely to meet ANY "truth critera" except, perhaps, those of theology (e.g., the criterion of faith). But I am not saying, of course, that all statements are, by virtue of being statements, true. You say that what is true is that "it is raining"; I say that what is true is the proposition that "it is raining." But that is only a statement of what what is happening at a trivial level. The term, "truth" is more applicable to an "as-if" statement such as: If certain conditions occur then it will rain. Truth is about prediction and control, not just the accuracy of trivial description. It is obvious that we do not resonate here because your perspective skews toward objectivism (materialism?) and mine toward subjectivism idealism. But I am not a 100% idealist. Both extremes are misguided, as far as I am concerned because they tend to depart from reality which is best characterized by statements of the middle range. Here you see that I am not in total disagreement with your position.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 02:17 am
JL Nobody

Following Kant, I think there are two kinds of criteria to establish the truth of a statement.
In the case of an analytical proposition, the proposition is true if it follows the initial premises: example, "a triangle has three angles". In this case you don't need your senses to establish the truth of the statement, because truth, here, depends on the logical coherence.
But in the case of a synthetic proposition, the criteria for establishing if it is true or not, depends on our senses. The statement: it is raining depends on the fact that you see or feel the rain outdoors. And the statement: it will be raining tomorrow depends on a theory and a testing experience (prediction and testing).
As you said, there is no possible truth in the fact that it is raining. If I don't see, feel or even hear the rain, I will never know if it is raining (unless someone tells me that it is raining and I accept his statement).

We talk about truth because saying "it is raining" is not the same thing as to be raining. The first is a statement, based in concepts. The second, a sensorial experience. It is the adjustment of the two that we call truth.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:29 am
JLNobody wrote:
Quote:
An account is a "description" of experience; the other is an "explanation".

I am sorry, but I fail to see the difference, apart from the one in the listeners perception. An explanation is even more reliant on perspective, and therefore less likely to be true.

I do not fully understand the word "invariant". I take it to mean "not variable", or fixed. Is that correct?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:21 am
JLNobody wrote:
John Jones, it seems so clear to me that "truth" is an evaluation we make of statements that meet certain criteria: logical consistency, canons of evidence, etc.. I grant that a truth proposition that has no connection with "reality" is not likely to meet ANY "truth critera" except, perhaps, those of theology (e.g., the criterion of faith). But I am not saying, of course, that all statements are, by virtue of being statements, true. You say that what is true is that "it is raining"; I say that what is true is the proposition that "it is raining." But that is only a statement of what what is happening at a trivial level. The term, "truth" is more applicable to an "as-if" statement such as: If certain conditions occur then it will rain. Truth is about prediction and control, not just the accuracy of trivial description. It is obvious that we do not resonate here because your perspective skews toward objectivism (materialism?) and mine toward subjectivism idealism. But I am not a 100% idealist. Both extremes are misguided, as far as I am concerned because they tend to depart from reality which is best characterized by statements of the middle range. Here you see that I am not in total disagreement with your position.

I apologise in advance for what I now write. It is compressed but only apparantly difficult, rushed and written in one sitting. It is original material. It is the only way I can see of getting an overview of the issues we are discussing.

Logical propositions assume the particular case but do not portray the particular case or convey meaning. For example, the proposition 'the cat sat on the mat' could be a password between spies as a particular case. A logical proposition references a set of 'the cat sat on the mat' statements, but cannot say what their meanings are. These statements are not like the statements that are used when we talk about the particular case, even though they look exactly the same. Now in order for logical propositions to make sense of their statements they have to invoke a tool. The tool is called truth and falsehood. Truth pertains to a mapping and matching of the particular case to a proposition, and falsehood where there is no match. This technique has been in use for as long as there have been logical propositions, but its flaws soon become evident, if we are prepared to acknowledge them. The problem is that it is not clear what it is we are matching. For example, we might say that 'truth pertains to statements'. But now we cannot define a statement without stripping it of its sense, which also points to or defines a statement of logic. However, we ignore this difficulty that could otherwise show us the peculiar status of a statement of logic. So truth is of no use to us, unless we wish to compare the particular case with statements of logic. And I repeat, even though the statements of propositional logic and the particular case may look the same they are quite different. We need not use this tool called truth, that belongs to the pecular world of logical propositions.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:23 pm
val wrote:
JL Nobody

We talk about truth because saying "it is raining" is not the same thing as to be raining. The first is a statement, based in concepts. The second, a sensorial experience. It is the adjustment of the two that we call truth.

I only wish to comment on the above. I think you mis-portray the statements in question. When you say 'saying "it is raining" is not the same as "it is raining", you ought to say:
The statement "saying it is raining" is not the same as the statement "it is raining". And then it is plainly evident.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
Val, I tend to describe correct (purely logical) analytical statements as VALID statements; I tend to describe correct (empirically falsifiable) synthetic statements as TRUE statements. But I do agree with what you have said here. See?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:12 pm
Yes, Cryacuz, that is what I mean by "invariant". Things that co-occur of necessity, always and everywhere: in a law-like manner.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:21 am
John Jones

Quote:
I only wish to comment on the above. I think you mis-portray the statements in question. When you say 'saying "it is raining" is not the same as "it is raining", you ought to say:
The statement "saying it is raining" is not the same as the statement "it is raining". And then it is plainly evident.

Sorry, but I didn't say exactly that. I said that the statement "it's raining" is not the same thing as "to be raining". The first has to do with language. Imagine that I don't know what rain is. But I know that "rain" is something that usually occurs in Winter. I know it is January. So, I say: it is raining. Or: probably it is raining.

But, "to be raining", although expressed in words, refers to a different situation, a situation of experience. It is a fact, as I understand facts: a sensorial experience. "To be raining" is an expression that describes an event external to me, but not external to my experience. On the other hand the statement "it's raining" is a proposition about that fact: and here, and only here, can we speak about truth.
0 Replies