How quickly do you quit TV shows before giving up on them?

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 11:34 pm
How quickly do you quit TV shows before giving up on them? Barring watching the worst TV pilot you have ever seen and the series has a premise that you find intriguing, and/or the talent you admire (actors, showrunners, etc...), do you have the persistence and the patience to keep watching a television series that at the beginning ultimately DOES NOT satisfy whatever tv watching guidelines you have which you use to determine which show is watchable and/or enjoyable enough to continue watching?

For me? I try to give television series at least 3 episodes before ditching them entirely, rarely ever going back to give them a second chance. And like books, I never finish television series I which bore, annoy the hell out of me, frustrate me due to various conditions like acting, characters (specifically the protagonists), and writing. I cannot say how faithful I am to the 3 episode rule. But I try.

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 04:55 am
@tsarstepan,
I usually look in for 2 episodes. I recall I hated the Seinfeld Chronicles before it got a bit of overhauling with the rising theme of group insensitivity, then it got good. I like "Its always Sunny in Philadelphia" for almost its entire first season, Then It got downright man spirited and I tunes out.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:00 am
If a show doesn't grab me in an episode or two I am out. I'm equally judgemental about movies.
farmerman

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I lost interest in "Big Bang" early because it was more or less a nasty celebration of a clueless Asperger's syndrome sufferer who had not received any training and who lacks tact , social skills and creativity.
Now this is just my opinion and there will be no Q&A
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:26 am
@farmerman,
I rarely watched any of it. The other characters were not exactly petunias either. I gave Young Sheldon a chance but gave up on it too.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,
1. I generally make the decision to (initially) watch a tv show because of a tv trailer or a commercial I saw.

2. Sometimes, all I need to see is one episode to not want to watch it anymore.

3, Mostly, I think it probably takes me three episodes to determine that I don't want to watch it anymore.

4. If I discover that I really like a show a lot, I will watch (every) episode for years or until the show is no longer on the air.

5. There are also shows that I might think are just okay.
The shows that I think are just okay, I don't watch every episode.
The just okay shows I can watch sometimes while missing many episodes along the way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 12:34 pm
When Seinfeld was new I made it a point to catch every episode on first showing. It's the last one I obsessed over. I've been liking Bob/Abishola, but the last episode of it so far went off track. I'm hoping the new season can atone for that. I don't have cable. The last series I followed on Netflix was The Good Place. Never saw the final season.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 04:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
After I watch the pilots show, I make upmy mind. It doesn’t impress me then I rarely go back to check if things improved or if I was hasty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 05:40 pm
I skipped the first season of All in the Family because I thought the scripts were awful. But I gave it a chance, second season and it became a favorite, all the way up until they ruined the characters of Mike and Gloria and screwed up the last season.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had to give up on Ramy midway through the first episode. Well acted and professionally shot. The religious family is intolerable.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 11:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
After watching this, I don't feel so bad when I give up on an entire series after a single episode.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 04:16 am
I gave up on King Gary after one episode. I was looking forward to it because I really liked Tom Davis in Plebs and Murder in Successville, but this didn’t go anywhere and it wasn’t funny.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 04:37 pm
@izzythepush,
I can't say that I've heard of it or that person in question. But life's too short to spend on crappy TV.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2021 07:13 pm
Mame

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2021 07:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't watch a lot (if any, actually) of tv (mainly I tape documentaries and whatnot), and one of the reasons is that I really liked "Lost", "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy" until the storylines got too bizarre. No sense of reality at all. Just like "Who Shot JR". Oh, it's all a dream. C'mon. So now i don't watch any of that stuff, or anything with 'celebs' (and I'm including the idiot nobody Kardashiians). I'm more into science, nature, ancestry and things like that.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 12:05 am
@Mame,
Just what are the Kardashiians famous for? Besides being famous, I mean.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 12:20 am
@roger,
That's it, kinda like Paris Hilton.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 12:47 am
@roger,
Shitting in a bin bag.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 01:45 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not sure what that means, but I bet it's accruate.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 02:30 am
@roger,
There’s a famous picture of her with her massive arse coming out of a big plastic bag. We call those bin bags over here.
0 Replies