2

How quickly do you quit TV shows before giving up on them?

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 11:34 pm
How quickly do you quit TV shows before giving up on them? Barring watching the worst TV pilot you have ever seen and the series has a premise that you find intriguing, and/or the talent you admire (actors, showrunners, etc...), do you have the persistence and the patience to keep watching a television series that at the beginning ultimately DOES NOT satisfy whatever tv watching guidelines you have which you use to determine which show is watchable and/or enjoyable enough to continue watching?

For me? I try to give television series at least 3 episodes before ditching them entirely, rarely ever going back to give them a second chance. And like books, I never finish television series I which bore, annoy the hell out of me, frustrate me due to various conditions like acting, characters (specifically the protagonists), and writing. I cannot say how faithful I am to the 3 episode rule. But I try.

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 04:55 am
I usually look in for 2 episodes. I recall I hated the Seinfeld Chronicles before it got a bit of overhauling with the rising theme of group insensitivity, then it got good. I like "Its always Sunny in Philadelphia" for almost its entire first season, Then It got downright man spirited and I tunes out.

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:00 am
If a show doesn't grab me in an episode or two I am out. I'm equally judgemental about movies.

3  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I lost interest in "Big Bang" early because it was more or less a nasty celebration of a clueless Asperger's syndrome sufferer who had not received any training and who lacks tact , social skills and creativity.
Now this is just my opinion and there will be no Q&A

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:26 am
I rarely watched any of it. The other characters were not exactly petunias either. I gave Young Sheldon a chance but gave up on it too.

Real Music

2  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 11:44 am
1. I generally make the decision to (initially) watch a tv show because of a tv trailer or a commercial I saw.

2. Sometimes, all I need to see is one episode to not want to watch it anymore.

3, Mostly, I think it probably takes me three episodes to determine that I don't want to watch it anymore.

4. If I discover that I really like a show a lot, I will watch (every) episode for years or until the show is no longer on the air.

5. There are also shows that I might think are just okay.
The shows that I think are just okay, I don't watch every episode.
The just okay shows I can watch sometimes while missing many episodes along the way.

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 12:34 pm
When Seinfeld was new I made it a point to catch every episode on first showing. It's the last one I obsessed over. I've been liking Bob/Abishola, but the last episode of it so far went off track. I'm hoping the new season can atone for that. I don't have cable. The last series I followed on Netflix was The Good Place. Never saw the final season.

Ragman

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 04:59 pm
After I watch the pilots show, I make upmy mind. It doesn’t impress me then I rarely go back to check if things improved or if I was hasty.

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 05:40 pm
I skipped the first season of All in the Family because I thought the scripts were awful. But I gave it a chance, second season and it became a favorite, all the way up until they ruined the characters of Mike and Gloria and screwed up the last season.

1  
Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had to give up on Ramy midway through the first episode. Well acted and professionally shot. The religious family is intolerable.

2. » How quickly do you quit TV shows before giving up on them?