TIN FOIL HATS

Setanta

Wed 27 May, 2020 11:12 am
I heard that tin foil hats will not only protect you from the virus, but from Republicans, too.

Discuss

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 11:22 am
@Setanta,
I have heard that face masks will protect people from the virus.

If you look at what scientists are actually saying... they say there "might" be a "small" effect in helping public health. And many reputable scientists are disputing even this. There is no scientific research to back the use of face masks as part of public health.

The face mask craze seems to be driven by the need for the public to feel they are in control. Some tin foil hats are accepted by the public.

PUNKEY

Wed 27 May, 2020 12:39 pm
@maxdancona,
What about the “spitters”? You know, those people who blurt out spit when talking to you?

I don’t know if there’s a god or not, but I go to church once in a while to hedge any bets.

I feel the same about masks. I will wear One when going to the store, etc - just in case.
Setanta

Wed 27 May, 2020 12:54 pm
@PUNKEY,
I think wearin' a tin foil hat protects ya from gods.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 12:55 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
I feel the same about masks. I will wear One when going to the store, etc - just in case.

That is the reason that people wear "tin foil hats". A mask is a tin foil hat that you wear on your face.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 27 May, 2020 01:12 pm
@Setanta,
The Tin foil hat is meant to protect you from electromagnetic fields, so the Man cant read your thoughts.
Although if you're wearing a tin foil hat you probably wont be having to many of them.

I don't think the hat could protect you from Republicans, I don't know if anything can at the moment.
Oh and seemingly it cant protect you from buzz killers either.

They say that if you stand in the centre of a crop circle wearing a tin foil hat
that you'll look like an awful eejit, that could be true.
Setanta

Wed 27 May, 2020 01:29 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Crop circles . . . oh come one, you don't think I'm gullible, do ya?
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 01:45 pm
I know this thread is meant to be silly... but even so it doesn't make sense.

You guys already have a perfectly good way to protect yourselves from Republicans (or any ideas that don't conform to your point of view).

If you have an ideological bubble, isn't a tin foil hat redundant?
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 27 May, 2020 01:48 pm
@Setanta,
If you're wearing a tin foil cowboy hat anythings possible.

Why a cowboy hat you ask, I just see you wearing one when you're out hunting Big Foot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 27 May, 2020 01:52 pm
I wear a lead skullcap beneath my tinfoil hat. That way nothing gets out, either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 27 May, 2020 02:29 pm
@maxdancona,
OOPS, wrong place, but I can till ay youre fulla bird turds maxy.Perhaps youve been n another planet.(Or as I suspect you are just interminably denying that such research has NOT gone on anywhere in the world)

Earth to max

RESEARCH ON MASKS HAS BEEN DONE
They incorporated MATHEMATICS so you seem to only trust math and not experimental results of discovery .
Using guinea pigs en Mass, the researchers found that rats upgradient with the virus in their URS, would shed active virus particles to Target isolated cages downgradient.

1 Upgradient infected rats with No masks infected 100% of downgradient rats (They used fans to blow air from up gradient to down gradient at various distances downgradient)

2 when upgradient rats were outfitted with masks, an 85% protection was noted in the downgradient rat groups >AND the shed virus was of a much low concentration .(Infection level is a function of particle density, That was demonstrated also in steps 2

3when both upgradient rats (all shedding virus) AND downgradient rats were outfitted with masks, the downgradient rats had a 95% protection and a lower density of virus particles in the individual rats of several groupings of masked downgradient "target" rats. I think it was Lancet that published it (John Campbell lited the paper site but I didnt copy it down.

I sorta thought that we were all past the days when "reputable doctors" testified that cigarrettes DID NOT cause cancer.
MAx, youre not an epidemiologist. Neither am I. I liked the way the research was done and ,if you can find John Campbell's (epidemiologist whose been posting comment on daily infection , recovery, reserch, etc etc.
He was also showing pictures of the swimming pool party taken in Mo. No social distancing so masks would not have been any use without determining aerosol annd droplet distance when face to face.

Russian roulette uses rules of chance too,

Remember max , a mask is your caring about others not yourself. A mask interferes with YOUR droplets , so both parties must wear em to be effective to all.

Trumps insistance of NOT wearing a mask is the peak of uncaring during this times
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 02:50 pm
@farmerman,
That's nice Farmerman. You can use Google to pick out news articles that support your pre-existing beliefs.

https://business.blogthinkbig.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/12/confirmacionbias1.png?resize=640%2C360
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 27 May, 2020 02:50 pm
@farmerman,
SO max, do you accept that masks help in lowering risks to infection while inside an isolation distance (nd isolation distances are variable ? If you do, just ignore my above admonishment. If you dont, I hope you dont infect someone because of a rather cavalier attitude regarding the value of others health and lives.

Im unable to find anything funny about this plague. My sister in law (my wifes younger sister) is an ER physician in Allentown and is among the first line people involved with the latest admissions of covid patients, many of whom have been infected by asymptomatic shedders of virus. We are all biting our nails and having to live a life without contact of some of our relatives because they are "in harms way". Harm that can reach out with invisibl arms.

So many normal family functions are being put on hold for an unknown length of time and every one is hoping for the best for all of us plus friends and nighbors.

Weve cut off most pf our dealings with the AMish because of their beliefs in " Fellowship of the Ordnung". They dont wear masks, they dont do distancing and they have again begun to hold their normal bi weekly church services and sunay group meals and "get togethers". There hs been an infection spike in the Amish since Easter.

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 02:56 pm
@farmerman,
The real way to stop the spread of the virus is social distancing. There is no scientific disagreement that effective social distancing significantly limits the spread of the disease in real the real world (outside of set up laboratory situations).

The problem is.... social distancing has serious social distancing has real costs. Society is going to have to be honest about the trade off. We can't keep our economies and social structures shut down indefinitely. This means that Americans are going to have to handle the difficult task of how to balance risks.

We don't like to have honest discussions about risks. The mask thing is a cheat. That way no one has to admit that people are going to die.

This is the same reason that we can't have a honest discussion about medical rationing. We are doing medical rationing based on wealth (poor people get less care than wealthy people). To fix this... someone needs to tell rich people that spending $2 million for something that will at most give them a few more months isn't worth it.

The inability to face difficult facts leads to irrationality. Face masks are a part of this.

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:00 pm
@maxdancona,
What will happen is that we will open up businesses and make people wear masks. The number of covid deaths may go up. If it does, the fact that people were wearing masks will make everyone feel better about themselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:12 pm
@maxdancona,
We have a few anti mask wearing anti vaxxers . Probably not as many as you guys. You dont have any Hutterites out there do you? They seem to cluster in N Dakota and have their "Vatican" in Montana
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
I am going to bet there are pro-mask wearing anti-vaxxers.

What was your point?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
There seem to be two differing standards on what makes good science.

- One side says that good science is peer-reviewed, reproducible and widely accepted by scientific institutions.

- The other side good science is anything published anywhere that supports my pre-existing believes.

I fall in the first camp.
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:28 pm
@farmerman,
God Damn!, Farmerman. I googled the study the study with the hamsters.

Quote:
In their experiment, partitions made of surgical masks were set up between cages in an isolated facility, with an infected hamster on one side, and three healthy hamsters on the other. A fan was then placed in between to make sure the virus would “transmit” between cages.

In our hamster experiment, it shows very clearly that if infected hamsters or humans – especially asymptomatic or symptomatic ones – put on masks, they actually protect other people. That’s the strongest result we showed here

That is ridiculous. I doubt that would pass peer review... even if you were on the panel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:28 pm
@maxdancona,
actually, you are the sitting poster boy of your second. You DO realize that science also tried to move forward.
Look at the HCQ reserch. ALmost all research facilities on the planet have now ceased any research about the bogus claims made by China arly in the covid era.

I doubt there are many, if any mask waring anti Vaxxers, both are suppoted by objective peer reviewed science. Youve been touting how masks are of little value since day one, you apparently havent read any thing new or have forgotten to look at the dates on the stuff you rely upon.
You hve some of the science methodologies of folks who rely exclusively on Newton or even Darwin.
Im not gonna get anywhere with you so b'bye.