TIN FOIL HATS

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:34 pm
@farmerman,
If you are implying that anti-vaxxers are supported by good science....

... I disagree with you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 03:39 pm
Let's look at the facts.

1) There are zero reputable scientists supporting the claims of the anti-vaxxers.

2) There are plenty of reputable scientists who are questioning the wisdom of general mask use in public.

3) Reputable scientists are saying loudly that there is conclusive scientific evidence that social distancing significantly slows transmission of the virus and dramatically slows the progression of the epidemic.

4) As far as I know... there are zero reputable scientists stating there is conclusive evidence that mask use in the general public will significantly reduce transmission.

If you have a real example of that last one.... it would be relevant.

Setanta

Wed 27 May, 2020 04:08 pm
Hey, Farmer . . . Max trashes enough threads as it is. I ask you not to encourage him. This thread was intended to be fun.
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
Fun?

Without me here, these threads would be the left-wing version of a Klan rally. People in identical ideological robes talking about how everyone else is ruining America.

Maybe that is fun for some people. What would have happened had a "republican" wandered in?

Sure, I am crashing this exclusive party.... but now everyone can have fun.

edgarblythe

Wed 27 May, 2020 04:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Careful you don't begin to sound like orally. You're getting close.
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 05:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't have anything against Oralloy. I disagree with him quite often, but I agree with him at times and don't take anything personally.

I am not in your bubble... remember?

0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 May, 2020 05:11 pm
That will never happen with me . . . I got an IQ of 230 on a 200 point test. Plus, I wear a tin foil hat. Not aluminum foil, mind you, real, honest to Dog tin foil.
maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 05:31 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That will never happen with me . . . I got an IQ of 230 on a 200 point test. Plus, I wear a tin foil hat. Not aluminum foil, mind you, real, honest to Dog tin foil.

Does anyone actually think this is funny?

I get it. Setanta started this thread to mock people he sees as below him. But this is not even clever. (Does the fact that Oralloy isn't even here matter?)

It just seems mean.

edgarblythe

Wed 27 May, 2020 05:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Does trolling threads give you joy - Make you smugly grin as you trash thread after thread?
Region Philbis

Wed 27 May, 2020 05:54 pm

ready to venture outside...

https://i.imgur.com/Z6c88wf.jpg
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 27 May, 2020 06:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Does trolling threads give you joy - Make you smugly grin as you trash thread after thread?

This is a self-important insular group who wants to come together to publicly mock people who weren't invited.

Sure... it gives me joy to troll THIS nasty little thread.
hightor

Wed 27 May, 2020 06:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
As far as I know... there are zero reputable scientists stating there is conclusive evidence that mask use in the general public will significantly reduce transmission.

This coronavirus is new, so it can be assumed that any studies regarding the efficacy of wearing masks are based on no more than a few months of observation. It's doubtful if large-scale controlled studies resulting in conclusive evidence have even been done. Researchers continue to discover new things about this virus and we've already seen medicines hailed as miracle drugs one week and their use suddenly discontinued a few weeks later. So I doubt the final word on covid-19 and wearing masks in public has been proclaimed.

Masks also serve a social function. Most cloth masks don't seal effectively enough to prevent infection by the virus if it's present in sufficient quantity in the air that surrounds a healthy person. But that risk itself can be mitigated by other people wearing masks, that is, those people with the virus (who may not even know they're carrying the disease). By preventing corona-carrying droplets of breath from being propelled at someone's face and have the cough — or sneeze — or drunken boast — captured or deflected by a mask isn't a bad thing. The existence of asymptomatic covid carriers makes the use of a mask more appealing for people who may have been exposed. Wearing masks even if they only promote a general sense of a shared social undertaking may still serve a useful purpose in a national emergency.
maxdancona wrote:
The real way to stop the spread of the virus is social distancing.

In a way, masks are a form of social distancing, just on a more intimate scale.

The best hats are made of copper. In the shape of a pyramid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 27 May, 2020 06:57 pm
@maxdancona,
You have revealed all I need to know. Thanks.
0 Replies