Atheists ruining my Vernal Equinox

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:54 am
Every religious season, it is the same. People will post threads like "Jews ruining my Passover" complaining about some specific religious festival. This inevitably leads to claims that since the Passover ritual borrows from older cultures it somehow lessens the religious/cultural meaning.

I find the historically dubious claims that Passover really stems from the goddess Poeassovertra to be especially silly.

The fact is, Spring has always been a deeply religious time of thanksgiving and rebirth and celebration. The people worshiping ancient goddesses weren't atheists. The activities of Spring in past cultures; making fertility dolls, dancing around polls or pouring wine in offering to lascivious deities were unquestionably religious activities.

The stories behind these earlier celebrations were not intrinsically different then the passover narrative, the resurrection story or any other religious story-- they are key parts of the rituals and the celebrations. It seems inappropriate that people who claim not to be religious would use one set of religious beliefs to attack another.

So why not just accept the celebration in all of its forms? Spring is a time of life, rebirth, renewal and cleansing that is familiar in any culture and any religion.

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:04 am
@ebrown p,
The celebration must involve copious amount of alcohol and cholesterol in order to be valid.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:47 am
This may not be the most idiotic rant i've ever read here, but it sure comes close.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:00 pm
@ebrown p,
It may even be that such thread titles are meant to be humourous.

Ooops I forgot. 2000 years, still a bit too soon to make jokes about the death of your friend, right?

Anyway, it's politically incorrect to expect to be allowed to celebrate the vernal equinox at this time of year, when for many, there's still six month to go.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:22 pm
@Eorl,
Nice try Eorl. I don't believe in Jesus. I don't believe in any deity. But, I am able to show a little respect to people who do since I understand I don't know everything.

There are good things about religion; there is community and comfort and self-examination.

And, there are bad things about religion too including a narrow view that your point of view represents some unquestionable absolute truth. This leads to a sense of superiority and a self-righteous need to disparage other religions.

The problem with Atheism is that it takes all of the bad parts of religion (the smug belief they alone are right) while leaving out the good parts of religion.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:42 pm
Vernerial equinox?
Is that some sexually transmitted disease you get from horses and cows?
Eorl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 12:54 am
@dadpad,
Nah, isn't that Mad Cowbotherers Disease?
dadpad

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:16 am
@Eorl,
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:25 am
@ebrown p,
I am walking strait into the lion´s cave to tell you I agree with you.
One can be humorous about religion, but as a rule it is just made fun of and/or attacked . One should respect people´s ideas just as much as within politics, which of course still allows humour, satire or irony.
But it seems very difficult on internet - contrary to real life.
It is so easy to use some pagan religon, which you probably know very little about to attack especially Christian denominations, which you probably don´t know too much about anyway.
aidan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:40 am
@saab,
Like Daniel - hey- maybe that's what we were supposed to get from that story.
This is what my friend wished all her friends yesterday:
Covered all the bases without ridiculing anyone's core beliefs...what a rarity:
Quote:
Rebirth, Resurrection, Spring, being Passed Over and Alive....whatever form you choose, celebrate a glorious Eostre day.

(Her heart lies with Eostre - but she lets me have my rebirth, resurrection, spring, and passover tinged Easter- and doesn't begrudge me a second of it).

I went out to dinner with another friend of mine who was ordained only last year at the age of 63, after a long career as a teacher. And as were eating I said, 'It must be so difficult wearing your belief outwardly (she's Anglican so wears the collar they wear) and she asked, 'What do you mean?'

And I said, 'You make yourself an obvious target for so much scorn and derision...on more occasions that I can number - but only on the internet- when certain types of people find out that I believe in God - even the amorphous concept of God that I have - I'm ridiculed and told that I believe in fairy tales and I'm stupid...etc., etc.. and she said,
'Oh well that's the nature of the internet and those sorts of people. They very seldom walk up to anyone on the street or in a church and say those sorts of things to someone like me.'

And I thought - 'What an unproductive and round about way to achieve your purpose if you wish the demise of the church and religious belief- these people aren't even attacking the source.'

I was literally very surprised. I figured she must hear this **** all the time. Apparently not.
URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-3954541
aidan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:18 am
@aidan,
Nothing could ruin my Easter day - it was the first sunny day after a month of grey, rainy days. This is what I saw (after I went to church and ate at the restaurant my son works at - he was incredibly nice to his sister) when my daughter, my dog and I went to the Jurassic coast in Dorset to hunt for fossils. I'm more convinced than ever there's a God now- love, beauty and sunshine all on the same day - I have to have someone to thank for it.
(Coincidentally - I also watched the movie Creation about Charles Darwin and his daughter's death...- not a very good film, but an interesting take on the subject).
Happy Easter Monday everyone.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_5178.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_5157.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_5139.jpg
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:24 am
@aidan,
The Lutheran priests - as we still call the them in Scandinavia - in Sweden also wear a clergical collar. I have not heard of them being attacked either because of that.

I like what your friend did - respecting others and showing openly her own belief.
aidan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:27 am
@saab,
Me too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:57 am
@ebrown p,
Yet another thread whining about someone else's whining. Then we get people whining that you're whining about whining.

What a whine-fest.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:33 am
@DrewDad,
Ummm .... so you come here to whine about my whining about someone else's whining...
djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:36 am
@ebrown p,
not a big fan of whine, got any beer?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:52 am
@ebrown p,
Yes. I'm a fan of recursion.

And if you take it meta enough, it becomes ironic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:40 am
Brown is not a consumer of irony. I suspect that he is unaware that he is personally guilty with regard to atheists of everything he alleges them to be guilty of with regard to the religionists.

That's not a whine, though, or even a complaint. I don't expect any better of Brown. I also don't expect any better of DD than that he w0uld show up to sneer at all and sundry.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I also don't expect any better of DD than that he w0uld show up to sneer at all and sundry.

Speaking of not getting irony....

You do understand that you are engaging in the very behavior of which you are accusing me, right?

Go eat a bran muffin, Set, and come back here when you're feeling better.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:48 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I suspect that he is unaware that he is personally guilty with regard to atheists of everything he alleges them to be guilty of with regard to the religionists.

I am perfectly aware of this. The point is that there is no difference between Atheists and any other sort of religionists when it comes to an unquestioning belief in some absolute truth or disdain for people who haven't seen the light.

Quote:
Brown is not a consumer of irony. ... I don't expect any better of Brown. I also don't expect any better of DD than that he w0uld show up to sneer at all and sundry.

I understand irony when I see it.