sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:02 am
I have been really impressed with this show. Sozlet loves it, first I just kept an eye on it to make sure it was suitable (it does get a bit violent), but then I got sucked in, myself. The writing and character development is stupendous for this kind of show, and the animation and general aesthetic is really impressive as well. I just read somewhere that they spend a million dollars an episode, wouldn't surprise me.

Just watched "The Storm", the episode that gives the backstory -- the Zuko part was a bit trite, but the Aang part was really interesting and psychologically complex. The character development of Aang especially is probably my favorite part of the show. The general framework/ mythology of it is quite strong, too, with lots of references. (For example, Aang is ID'ed as the avatar by the four toys he chooses out of thousands, toys that belonged to previous avatars -- isn't that and element of how the Dalai Lama is ID'ed, too?)

Anyway, anyone else watching? What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,394 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
Nobody watches it?

Did anyone see the end of "The Great Divide" episode? I saw only the first half, and haven't found a recap for the whole thing anywhere. It impressed me as showing Aang displaying newfound leadership skills -- he has to practice waterbending and earthbending and the rest, but he also has to practice leadership skills.

Anyway, I only watched up until the messy tribe (the one Sokka was with) started to talk about why they didn't like the neat tribe (the one Katara was with.) Curious about what happened after that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:51 am
Holy guacamole! 500 views?

I'll keep nattering on in the hopes that one of these viewers will join the conversation...

I saw the second half of "The Great Divide" and it was about what I expected, pretty good. In that one, Aang's airbending skills are not what saves the day, it's his creativity/ leadership skills. (Getting the tribes to work together, riding the canyon crawlers out of the divide, and the final revision of history -- heh.)

By the way the use of graphic styles was interesting in this one -- the neat tribe's version, the messy tribe's version, and Aang's cute li'l 8-year-old's version.

Still haven't seen the last episode, hope I can catch it sometime.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:45 am
I've seen it a handful of times, but only because my little sister watches the show. I must admit that I'm impressed with the animation, which is infinitely better than the anime I watched when I was younger (anybody remember and regret Dragonball Z?). The plot is good, too, but from what I've seen there's better anime out there, like Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Ghost in the Shell.

Of course, those are all on late at night...but I'm a night owl anyway.
0 Replies