The Deal With COPPA Regulations

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Going by what I read about COPPA it only really seems to be an issue for content creators if what they are producing and showcasing online looks and/or sounds like it could appeal to kids - if there seems to be any ambiguity regarding who they are making their stuff for.

There are people who produce and showcase stuff that looks and/or sounds like it could appeal to kids when in actuality it's not intended for them.

I remember the video game Conker's Bad Fur Day sparked contraversy because parents erroneously thought and/or assumed it was a kids' game because it featured a cutesy-looking cartoon squirrel in it and on the packaging for the game.

I recall having a job in a department store years ago doing customer service in the electronics department. I was behind a counter and there were video games on display behind me. The Conker game was one of them. I remember some parents came up to me asked me if the Conker game was a kids'/family game. They wanted to know if it was okay for their kids to play, or something along those lines.

I remember for whatever reason parents erroneously thought and/or assumed the movie Sausage Party was a kids' movie.

This is ignorance on the parents' part. Not every cartoon, video game, etc. that looks and/or sounds cutesy is intended for kids. Parents shouldn't think and assume all cartoons, video games, etc. are harmless fun. Record, audio tape and CD covers have parental advisory labels on them for a reason. Parents need to monitor what entertainment their kids are and could be subjected to and do research on it. They need to do research on this stuff beforehand.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:56 pm
I emailed Metacafe to ask them what are their policies regarding COPPA compliance and regulations. I've waiting for them to get back to me.
Rebelofnj

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 01:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Parents shouldn't think and assume all cartoons, video games, etc. are harmless fun.

It is not much of a problem as it was before, as most parents of young children today grew up playing video games. The kids that played games when Conker's Bad Fur Day was released in 2001 are now parents themselves.

Plus, there are parental controls on numerous devices and apps so that children don't access any mature content. Netflix and YouTube, for example, have accounts that only have kid-friendly content. It is not 100% guaranteed to stop curious children from going past the controls, but it works most of the time.

As an aside, they stopped making audio cassette tapes years ago. The last time there was a major cassette tape release was in 2014, when Disney released the soundtrack for The Guardians of the Galaxy on tape. I have the tape, but I haven't been able to play it due to not having a tape player.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 01:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
To repeat: YouTube is largely affected because they were fined by the FTC.

Many sites, including Metacafe, are already following COPPA for the last 20 years. More often than not, the sites just prohibits users under age 13 from making an account.

Plus, I very much doubt Metacafe has a sizable young audience that they would be forced to implement the same changes as YouTube. It is not even a popular website; it is ranked #18,561 in global web traffic vs YouTube being #2, but you keep insisting in using Metacafe.
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 04:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

To repeat: YouTube is largely affected because they were fined by the FTC.

I know that. You stated this early in the thread. I read articles about this.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 12:52 am
Hi. I am not so concerned about COPPA regulations on YouTube and on other video sharing sites, social media sites and other types of online platforms.

I discovered this video recently:

JGoldman10

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 01:20 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I am not so concerned about COPPA regulations on YouTube and on other video sharing sites, social media sites and other types of online platforms.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTGufMkHfZI[/youtube]

If I am doing G-rated stuff I don't have to be concerned about COPPA. I'm not doing anything that goes beyond a PG-rating.
Rebelofnj

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 07:01 am
@JGoldman10,
I honestly do not care what you do at this point. Either make whatever it is you want to make or not.
JGoldman10

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:53 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Good, and I really don't care what you think about me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 05:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

If I am doing G-rated stuff I don't have to be concerned about COPPA. I'm not doing anything that goes beyond a PG-rating.

Then you clearly don't understand the nature of the complaints against YouTube and COPPA enforcement. What?! You never heard of YouTube creators being falsely charged with violations that aren't in fact violating policies the charges claim in the first place? You don't understand the concept of false positive?

I'm not surprised that would be the case. That you really don't have a good grasp on these restrictions and how they hurt content creators who aren't even violating YouTube's COPPA policies in the first place.

If you're not concerned about them, then why bring them up in your latest post? Why write the initial thread at all?
JGoldman10

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 08:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hello Tsar. If I am clearly going to indicate that the toons and comics I am going to produce and showcase and monetize online are meant for kids in order to comply with COPPA regulations then what's the problem?

Since you started a thread about YouTube and COPPA did you look at the video in the last post of your thread which I left for you?:

https://able2know.org/topic/541259-1#post-7137255
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 02:25 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Going by what the guy said in the video it seems like people should be more concerned about dealing with YouTube's algorithm than dealing with COPPA regulations.
izzythepush

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:22 am
@JGoldman10,
You should be concerned I wouldn’t want my children watching something with an extreme religious point of view.

Anything that tries to brainwash children must be opposed.

I would complain and take legal action if necessary.
JGoldman10

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:26 am
@izzythepush,
Lol. I am interested in entertaining the kids and making money. If I do decide to make Christian cartoons and comics for kids then what's the problem? What's it to you?

I'm interested in entertaining Americans. I haven't really thought about entertaining any foreign markets.
izzythepush

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:30 am
@JGoldman10,
Don’t be ridiculous.

You want to impose your religion on innocent children.

Children need to be protected from such material.
JGoldman10

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:31 am
@izzythepush,
Don't think for me. You've never heard or seen any of the cartoons they have on Christian TV?
izzythepush

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 04:52 am
@JGoldman10,
I don’t watch such channels.

They’re all run by snake oil salesmen after your money.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Kids and young people need to hear the Gospel message.
JGoldman10

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Lol. I am interested in entertaining the kids and making money. If I do decide to make Christian cartoons and comics for kids then what's the problem? What's it to you?

I'm interested in entertaining Americans. I haven't really thought about entertaining any foreign markets.

Of course you can make a lot more money if you reach out to foreigners but I don't know specifically what that entails.

I know if you showcase and monetize stuff on YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe and other video sharing sites and on social media sites and other types of online platforms, especially the major ones, foreigners can be exposed to it.

It's not just Americans who use these things.
izzythepush

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 04:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
No they don’t.
0 Replies