0

The Deal With COPPA Regulations

JGoldman10

0  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Going by what I read about COPPA it only really seems to be an issue for content creators if what they are producing and showcasing online looks and/or sounds like it could appeal to kids - if there seems to be any ambiguity regarding who they are making their stuff for.

There are people who produce and showcase stuff that looks and/or sounds like it could appeal to kids when in actuality it's not intended for them.

I remember the video game Conker's Bad Fur Day sparked contraversy because parents erroneously thought and/or assumed it was a kids' game because it featured a cutesy-looking cartoon squirrel in it and on the packaging for the game.

I recall having a job in a department store years ago doing customer service in the electronics department. I was behind a counter and there were video games on display behind me. The Conker game was one of them. I remember some parents came up to me asked me if the Conker game was a kids'/family game. They wanted to know if it was okay for their kids to play, or something along those lines.

I remember for whatever reason parents erroneously thought and/or assumed the movie Sausage Party was a kids' movie.

This is ignorance on the parents' part. Not every cartoon, video game, etc. that looks and/or sounds cutesy is intended for kids. Parents shouldn't think and assume all cartoons, video games, etc. are harmless fun. Record, audio tape and CD covers have parental advisory labels on them for a reason. Parents need to monitor what entertainment their kids are and could be subjected to and do research on it. They need to do research on this stuff beforehand.

-FIXED.

JGoldman10

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:56 pm
I emailed Metacafe to ask them what are their policies regarding COPPA compliance and regulations. I've waiting for them to get back to me.
Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 01:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
Parents shouldn't think and assume all cartoons, video games, etc. are harmless fun.

It is not much of a problem as it was before, as most parents of young children today grew up playing video games. The kids that played games when Conker's Bad Fur Day was released in 2001 are now parents themselves.

Plus, there are parental controls on numerous devices and apps so that children don't access any mature content. Netflix and YouTube, for example, have accounts that only have kid-friendly content. It is not 100% guaranteed to stop curious children from going past the controls, but it works most of the time.

As an aside, they stopped making audio cassette tapes years ago. The last time there was a major cassette tape release was in 2014, when Disney released the soundtrack for The Guardians of the Galaxy on tape. I have the tape, but I haven't been able to play it due to not having a tape player.

Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 01:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
To repeat: YouTube is largely affected because they were fined by the FTC.

Many sites, including Metacafe, are already following COPPA for the last 20 years. More often than not, the sites just prohibits users under age 13 from making an account.

Plus, I very much doubt Metacafe has a sizable young audience that they would be forced to implement the same changes as YouTube. It is not even a popular website; it is ranked #18,561 in global web traffic vs YouTube being #2, but you keep insisting in using Metacafe.
JGoldman10

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 04:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I know that. You stated this early in the thread. I read articles about this.