The Deal With COPPA Regulations

JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 11:53 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. Can you just answer the question I posted about COPPA please?
Rebelofnj

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 11:57 am
@JGoldman10,
The answer is in the link in the first page of this thread.
JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 12:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I went on the first page. I went to that link you posted for The Verge. I still don't see a direct answer to my question.
Rebelofnj

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 12:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
It is in the article.

Besides, it is not like this is very important information, unless you plan to post videos in the next 12 months/2 years.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 12:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

I thought to avoid getting in trouble with COPPA people are indicating whether or not their stuff is kid-friendly or not.

Isn't this correct?

Rebel can you just please answer this? It's a simple yes-or-no question.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 02:36 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

"Reached by The Verge, Google confirmed that this new [child friendly labeling] system was the result of a landmark $170 million settlement YouTube reached with the Federal Trade Commission in September for allegedly violating children’s privacy. It’s the largest fine ever collected under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which forbids collecting data from children under the age of 13 without explicit consent from their parents.
In this case, the ruling means YouTube can’t employ its powerful ad-targeting system on anyone who might be under the age of 13 — a dire problem for a platform with so many young users."

"If the FTC does take action against channel owners, it’s likely to be both selective and heavy-handed. The FTC is a small agency and doesn’t

employ nearly enough staffers to tackle every COPPA failure that gets uploaded to YouTube. (Chairman Joe Simons has repeatedly called for more money to address the staff shortage.) With so much content uploaded to YouTube every day, the FTC is likely to focus on high-profile cases against popular channels."
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963459/youtube-google-coppa-ftc-fine-settlement-youtubers-new-rules

Honestly, you would be fine as your channel would be considered too small to get the noticed by the FTC. By the time your channel is big enough, you should be aware what content would be in violation.

YouTube and the FTC can barely stop people from breaking copyright law and posting copyrighted material on a daily basis.

So what are you saying? I don't have to concern myself with putting any disclaimers on my videos or under them on my channel on YouTube indicating whether or not my videos are for kids to comply with COPPA regulations until my channel gets big enough?
Rebelofnj

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
There is nothing saying about putting disclaimer on videos.

If you actually looked up other videos marked kid-friendly (by looking up known kid-friendly channels and not Ixapter's channel), you would see many do not have any disclaimer.

For example, here is a scene from Frozen II. Under the video, it says
"Watch the full “Show Yourself” sequence from Disney’s “Frozen 2” featuring the original song performed by Idina Menzel (voice of Elsa) and Evan Rachel Wood (voice of Queen Iduna), written by Academy Award® winners Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez.
🍂❄️
"Show Yourself"
Performed by Idina Menzel, Evan Rachel Wood
From Frozen 2 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)"

It also includes links to buy the soundtrack and surprisingly a link to the sheet music.

The channel DisneyMusicVEVO itself is not marked kid-friendly, but several of its videos are marked.

By the way, I only replied back just so I have an excuse to link a scene from Frozen
JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:14 pm
From https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963459/youtube-google-coppa-ftc-fine-settlement-youtubers-new-rules :

"In theory, YouTube has always been subject to COPPA, but those restrictions have taken on new urgency in the wake of the recent settlement with the FTC. Under the terms of the settlement, YouTube is required to 'develop, implement, and maintain a system for Channel Owners to designate whether their Content on the YouTube Service is directed to Children.' Under the system that YouTube rolled out on Tuesday, creators who strictly make children’s content can also have their entire channel designated as directed at children. Once a video is labeled as kids’ content, all personalized ads will be shut off, replaced with 'contextualized' advertising based on the video itself."
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you for responding. I told you I don't care about Frozen.
Rebelofnj

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
I know you don't care about Frozen.

Which is exactly why I linked to a scene from Frozen.
JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:19 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not talking about kid-friendly videos and channels on YouTube. I'm talking about the other ones.
JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:23 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I know you don't care about Frozen.

Which is exactly why I linked to a scene from Frozen.

What you posted makes no sense.
Rebelofnj

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
It makes perfect sense; I just wanted to mess with you.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
Other channels that cater to general audiences do not have to put up disclaimers related to COPPA.

If you had seen any video on YouTube posted by a major channel, you would know that.

Mature non-sexual content is still allowed though they may be age-gated, like this scene from Robocop, where the main character is gunned down in a gory fashion.

Like I said before, you are making COPPA a much bigger issue for yourself than it should be.
JGoldman10

Sat 6 Jun, 2020 03:57 pm
From https://privacy.commonsense.org/privacy-report/Dailymotion:

"Compliance

Dailymotion's policy indicates that children under the authorized age in their country of residence (“ Minors”) are not permitted to register with Dailymotion without the involvement and consent of a parent or legal guardian. If the user has an online account with Dailymotion, then their policy indicates that they will have the ability to review and update personal information online by logging into the user's account, and can also review and update personal information by contacting Dailymotion. COPPA is not discussed explicitly in the policy, but parental consent for a minor's account is required. FERPA is not mentioned, nor is school use of the product."
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 11:55 am
@Rebelofnj,
Stuff on YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe and other video-sharing sites, artist/writer community sites, social media sites and other online platforms needs to be age-gated. Stuff intended for mature viewers and listeners should not be easily accessible to minors.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:12 pm
Going by what I read about COPPA it only really seems to be an issue for content creators if what they are producing and showcasing online looks like and/or sound like it could appeal to kids - if there seems to be any ambiguity regarding who they are making their stuff for.

There are people who produce and showcase stuff that looks and/or sounds like it could appeal to kids when in actuality it's not intended for them.

I remember the video game Conker's Bad Fur Day sparked contraversy because parents erroneously thought and/or assumed it was a kids' game because it featured a cutesy-looking cartoon squirrel in it and on the packaging for the game.

I recall having a job in a department store years ago doing customer service in the electronics department. I was behind a counter and there were video games on display behind me. The Conker game was one of them. I remember some parents came up to me asked me if the Conker game was a kids'/family game. They wanted to know if it was okay for their kids to play, or something along those lines.

I remember for whatever reason parents erroneously thought and/or assumed the movie Sausage Party was a kids' movie.

This is ignorance on the parents' part. Not every cartoon, video game, etc. that looks and sounds cutesy is intended for kids. Parents shouldn't think and assume all cartoons, video games, etc. are harmless fun. Record, audio tape and CD covers have parental advisory labels on them for a reason. Parents need to monitor what entertainment their kids are and could be subjected to and do research on it. They need to do research on this stuff beforehand.
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:23 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I've seen the classic Robocop movies thank you. Not the crappy-looking one Michael Bay directed.
Rebelofnj

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
Michael Bay did not direct the 2014 Robocop nor was he involved with the film in any way.

He directed and/or produced 4 films in 2014, but not Robocop.
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 12:43 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Hi Rebel. You knew which movie I was talking about.
0 Replies