The Joys of Automobile Ownership

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
So, this month is a pain because last month I was in a minor car accident. No one was hurt, but there's over $600 in damage on my car.

Hence I need to (a) get body work done, (b) get the oil changed (usual 3,000 mile maintenance) and (c) get the car inspected.

Got any tales of woe re your baby? No judgments (you forgot to pour in <insert car liquid of choice>???? You bad, bad person!!!), no worries, just feel free to vent about the many joys of four-wheeled personal transportation ownership.

<hands over sets of fuzzy dice to everyone>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 10
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:24 pm
Oh yeah. Well, not really woe, exactly. My muffler blew a hole through itself and sounded like a muscle car all week. It actually hurt my ears at times.

So, I just brought it into the shop to have that fixed up. They also cleaned up my rear brake drums. I didn't even get an oil change, and it was over 300 bucks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:33 pm
Ai yi yi, funny how every repair is in the hundreds, unless it's in the thousands, eh?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:35 pm
I thought Hondas were supposed to be easy to own. I might go back to toyotas for my next car.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:40 am
Extra money is kind of defined as money you didn't know you had till you spent it on the most recent car failure.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:57 am
Well, instead of doing the 'long turn', I decided rently to make a U-turn on the street.

That street obviously was some millimeters too small and I touched really just a tiny bit the other sites kerbstone - which that tyre didn't like: 250 $ for a new one.

(3,000 miles maintainance sounds awful - we don't do such since more than 25 years any more. I've done 16,000 miles in half a year with my new car - the first maintainance is due at 18,641 miles (30,000 km) or one year.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
Oof, sorry 'bout the tire.

Well, they scare you here, but a big part of that is because the weather is so lousy most of the time. I've ended up being somewhat overly cautious about oil changes ever since I had a car's engine seize up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
Well, you get here the usual 2-years-guarantee with the above mentioned oil change period ... and since I paid 40 Euros more, I get one more year = 3 years altogether.
(That means, I have to change the oil every 30,000 kilometers or once a year in an authorised garage plus doing the normal checking stuff there. If something breaks - I'll get it without any charge, including the labour expenses, rental car etc.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
I resent the rapid depreciation. When you pay thousands for an object that object should retain value--at least in my world.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:04 am
My last service costed me 1200 pounds. The CAM belt had to be replaced, and the tracker rod had to be changed. The guy at the shop said that my clutch plates were to go next (soon) and the a/c is not functioning properly and the only way to get it fixed is to change the compressor.

I have decided to junk my car and get a new one.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:12 am
Gawd, that stinks, that's a major job right there.

Drove a car without a/c when I went to Law School. This was Delaware, so the summers were pretty hot, but it was either that or a new compressor, and I just didn't have the cash for it.
0 Replies