What is the worst Star Wars movie you've seen?

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 10:13 am
Worst Star Wars Chapter?
What is the worst 'chapter'* of the Star Wars universe?

*Theatrically released films, television series, and made for tv movies. Excluding video games, documentaries, and fan films.

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 10:28 am
All of 'em . . . the whole concept sucks, ranchers versus sod-busters in a galaxy, far, far away.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 12:11 pm
I liked the first four releases but lost interest when the rest came along.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
The first four, really? From what I’ve heard the fourth one is the worst of the lot.

I don’t particularly like any of them, and I’m a real fan of science fiction.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 12:36 pm
Whenever I talk to Star Wars fans I like to say the only decent character is Jah Jah Binks.

It can be a lot of fun.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 12:40 pm
@izzythepush,
I never understood the hostility to that character. I've seen worse in lots of movies.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 12:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is the usual response.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 01:28 pm
I had already seen the film before I was aware of those reactions. They had enough goofy characters already so that I barely noticed. I guess it takes a true believer to get that into it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 03:28 pm
Star Wars seemed awfully cool when it came out in 1977. But, at the time I also thought that metal lunch boxes and electronic football (with little red leds and plastic buttons) were cool.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 04:31 pm
I'm not sure but I think I only watched the original one.

I really didn't get what all the fuss was about.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:06 pm
For whatever the reason, I never saw any of the Star Wars movies or t.v.shows. My closest viewing experience was a Christmas video made several years ago. Never did understand what the fascination of it was.

Not even sure who played Luke Skywalker and who played Han Solo or what an Ewok is.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:12 pm
@Sturgis,
What Christmas video are you talking about? If you're referring to The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)? That's way more than several years ago.

Kind of like saying, "I never ate at McDonald's. My closest experience was taking a bite of a Big Mac I found left out in the rain overnight, found on a Canal St. sidewalk.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was some gimicky thing, not an actual Star Wars movies product, just related. From what I can remember, George Lucas was somehow involved, possibly in judging.

Okay, here it is : Christmas Playing With Plastic Tauntauns
chai2

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Kind of like saying, "I never ate at McDonald's. My closest experience was taking a bite of a Big Mac I found left out in the rain overnight, found on a Canal St. sidewalk.

Well, I'm not getting the connection to saying it's like that.

Maybe more like I never ate at McDonalds but once at a friends house and a few people were it eating and someone cut off a bite and I ate it. Don't remember whose hamburger I tasted. It was ok I guess, but I'm not gonna go get more.

While I sorta know what the story was, good vs evil, I don't know why they were fighting.
I do know that I probably couldn't get a lot of the stuff because of how I, don't really know the word, maybe how I process visual things?

I'm not good at separating a lot of stuff in my brain. A good example I've done a number of times is looking in a tool drawer. Even if it's pretty neat.
If I realize I need a screw driver and pull open the drawer, my brain immediately zones out and I couldn't tell you what I was looking at. I have to actually ask myself "What does a screwdriver look like?" and then I will scan in a methodical way until I see what I know it looks like.
Same way at those "find a word" puzzles. I'm lucky if I can find a couple of 3 letter words, and it's just not something fun at all.

So, getting back to star wars. I do remember 2 things. The camera was panning what I know today was supposed to be a big space station, but all I could see was squiggled up metal.

Same thing when people where flying and fighting and all these lasers and how in the world are they doing this so fast and where do they know where they are going and I how long this part is going to go on.

I mean, honestly, I don't hold anything against the movie, or all the other movies that came after it. Just wasn't my thing.
chai2

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:57 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

It was some gimicky thing, not an actual Star Wars movies product, just related. From what I can remember, George Lucas was somehow involved, possibly in judging.

Okay, here it is : Christmas Playing With Plastic Tauntauns
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3PpRmcIJg[/youtube]

Wow.

That was dreadful.

Not like I watched more than a few seconds in the middle. Didn't need to.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 08:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Well, I'm not getting the connection to saying it's like that.

Maybe more like I never ate at McDonalds but once at a friends house and a few people were it eating and someone cut off a bite and I ate it. Don't remember whose hamburger I tasted. It was ok I guess, but I'm not gonna go get more.

I was specifically alluding to The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978). It was broadcasted once on television and never released for home video. Even George Lucas is embarrassed by its existence.

It's a whole different breed than the theatrically released films. That breed would be roadkill by the way.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 09:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
I didn't know there was a t.v. holiday special. Then again, parts of 1978 are kind of missing from my mind.

Odd thing is I recall January of 1979 when I took a train to Chicago. That was soon after the t.v. special that I don't remember.

By the way, Chicago was quite food that January and a blizzard trapped me there.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 12:23 am
@tsarstepan,
I've never seen any of them and don't plan to.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 01:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
2002's Attack of the Clones is by far the worst of the 9 films

The romance subplot between Anakin and Padme was poorly written. The dialogue overall was pretty bad, despite the efforts of the actors trying to make it work.

Not even the best actor can make this line work:
"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."
oralloy

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 06:59 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The prequels are dramatically improved if you watch a decent fan edit of them.
0 Replies