Adding Ceiling fan...

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 09:11 am
I'm trying to add a ceiling fan to my garage. There is a light near where I want to go, so I figured I could tie in to the wiring for the light, but the ceilings are 18' and the fan has a switch and I'm not 100% sure how to properly wire this. My thought is to tap in to the wiring of the light and split that...1 going back to the light, the other going to the ceiling fan switch. Then I'd run from the ceiling fan switch to the ceiling fan. Would that work? I was told by a friend I should NOT have a switch run off another switch, but he didn't explain why. I could also run the fan straight in to the breaker box as it's right in the area of the garage I'm working, but have never added a breaker before and not sure I feel comfortable doing that. Would the wiring scenario I mentioned work and be safe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 649 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 09:50 am
If the fan has a light on it, why not replace the light fixture with the fan?
macnmore

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 12:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Fan doesn't have a light or that's exactly what I would have done.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 01:10 pm
Either you would need to leave the fan switch on at all times and rely on the switch for the light to run it or not or else get a different feed to the fan.
macnmore

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 03:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks...that's kind of what I was thinking. The fan has 4 speeds so I'd hate to only utilize 1 by using the existing light switch...so I'll mostly likely look in to adding a new circuit for the fan.
0 Replies

tmemphiselec

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 12:18 am

I think electrician is really the best way to take care of any electrical job in your home and is pretty much guaranteed.
0 Replies

sanbernardelec

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 02:25 am
@macnmore,
There is a possibility of overloading especially when you are using a single circuit wire. Another issue is if the switch cannot carry the load of the fan and the light( I am referring to the resistance of the amperes). Much better if you run an independent wiring layout for the ceiling fan.
0 Replies