You Can't be a Killer by Torturing a Cat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:03 am
Having read an article featuring a Chinese lad who reportedly made money by hawking video clips about this man's hankering for animal abuse-he is said to have skinned cats , someone posted a message on a website claiming that "murderers usually start by killing helpless animals."

I simply object to someone making a ludicrous statement like this. There are no grounds to think that one could end up becoming a killer after treating cats badly. Here's my reply to that person.

"Your contention that serial killers start by croaking animals doesn't withstand analysis. I have slain insects like ants and flies in the past; besides, I even put soap into the gob of a goldfish when I was still a kid. If that doesn't sound hideous, then let me tell you that I once saw one of my classmates throwing stones at a little dog; he was trying to push the poor dog into a hole. And I simply stood there watching him do this while laughing just like a flinty-hearted accomplice cheering on the perp. I don't remember what happened next; the dog may not have been killed. I admit it was an atrocious act, but that's no justification for suggesting that you run the risk of becoming a killer after torturing a dog or cat. It's apples and oranges. Consider this: you have never killed insects in your life?

I'm not trying to explain away such abhorrent acts. I just want to say that this conclusion is repugnant to the facts about some killers who actually behave like mild-mannered sorts in reality, say, they can be doting parents, complaisant colleagues, jovial husbands or doe-eyed wives, biddable friends, and even devout religious people who abide by holy principles.

For my money, people tend to do loopy things when they yield to their caprices or mood swings. And people also don't act like rational beings when they get a cob on something, say, a girl just can't act like a lady anymore when she espies her boyfriend and her own best friend-who's female-snogging. There is a related case in which a diffident girl just drugged her boyfriend after being told that he was dating another girl. It's plain that she wouldn't have done this if she hadn't been antagonized by his perfidy.

To be fair, the onus is on us to protect such poor cats while decrying animal abuse. And it would be foolish to vent your spleen on a poor cat when you get embittered by something. A better alternative would be to find another way to let off steam, such as playing online combat games or watching hilarious movies to lift your spirits. You could even simply cry like a kid when you feel sad or get stressed out; just never let your anguish build up in your heart and flare up like a volcano at length.

You are just making a rod for your own back when you go loco or go rogue just like the young man in this case. He is said to have been berated by his school. Some Chinese websites even report that he has been banished from his school."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 959 • Replies: 23
No top replies

hightor

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:13 am
@goldberg,
There have been studies showing that many psychopathic murderers also had histories of committing severe animal abuse. I don't mean stepping on insects or throwing stones at puppies either. I could link you to some accounts of murderers who were also known to have engaged in animal abuse but the subject sickens me and I'm not going to engage with it any further. But yes, someone who has no compunction about torturing a sentient being to death is less likely to be concerned about killing a human being.
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:18 am
@hightor,
I know, I know. I just think that it would be wrong to make generalizations like this. Do you think I could be a potential killer after hearing that I once killed goldfish and shrimp for fun? Speaking of animal rights, such animals should be treated equally.

Anyway, I think I have to say sorry to goldfish and shrimp.
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:22 am
@hightor,
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't want to check out such stuff as well.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:22 am
@goldberg,
Look, swatting flies and salting slugs is categorically different from some of the acts of animal abuse committed by the psychopaths I'm referring to.
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:28 am
@hightor,
Agreed. You wouldn't catch me doing this to a cat like this.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:32 am
@goldberg,
I wish I hadn't killed some ants. These ants weren't trying to bite me. I'm a baddie.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:09 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

I know, I know. I just think that it would be wrong to make generalizations like this. Do you think I could be a potential killer after hearing that I once killed goldfish and shrimp for fun? Speaking of animal rights, such animals should be treated equally.

Anyway, I think I have to say sorry to goldfish and shrimp.

How old were you then and how old are you now? When did you stop? You obviously by your comments now - do not do this now and sounds as if you did not do this as a young adult. You stopped because you realized this is cruel - sometimes young kids have not learned that - you grow up and you gain morals.

The difference being is typically a murderer in the making keeps progressing - say for instance it was you - you killed the goldfish and shrimp - then you move onto bigger game - a chipmunk, a rabbit, then bigger cats and dogs - then this does not satisfy you. You do not have morals - you enjoy killing

Yes some little kid that burnt ants with magnifying glasses is not likely to develop into a serial killer, but if this kid keeps killing and moves from insects to small animals and then pets -- then what do you think would be the next step?
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:09 am
@Linkat,
I'd argue that it has nothing to do one's age since we have lots of old geezers acting like vipers worldwide: they do something that's more terrible than killing cats; such cads do their utmost to besmirch other people's reputations while pretending to be debonair folks.

That being said, I'm sympathetic to your view that it's a matter of morality or one's upbringing. Plus, most learned people tend to refrain from doing this since they are repulsed by such depraved behavior-by which I mean they strive to be bright minds instead of uncouth souls.

I'm not a shrink nor a sleuth, so I don't know much about serial killers, despite having read some crimes novels featuring tough-cookies and gangsters. And I find that some characters in these novels treat their beloved ones nicely, even though they bilk their clients and even put away their enemies without showing mercy; some of them even have cats or dogs.

goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:23 am
@Linkat,
Actually, I was trying to convey another message, which is you would agree that killing ants is wrong as killing cats if you are someone plumping for animal rights.
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:26 am
@Linkat,
Just a thought. No offence.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:38 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

I'd argue that it has nothing to do one's age since we have lots of old geezers acting like vipers worldwide: they do something that's more terrible than killing cats; such cads do their utmost to besmirch other people's reputations while pretending to be debonair folks.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by age - I was referring to the fact that as a very young child you do not fully understand/have learned all consequences - kids do dumb things but they learn from them. I was explaining the fact that as a young child you may cruelly torture a bug but that has on indication that you will develop into a murderer.

It meant no reference to what age you can be to be a murderer.
Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:48 am
@goldberg,
You have a major failure of judgment operating here. Ants, or even goldfish in a bowl, have no concept of you as a part of their lives. But cats and dogs are aware of you, they trust you and rely on you for the very wherewithal of their survival. This is as bad as tormenting or harming a child in your care. It is also the definition of sociopathic behavior. From the Mayo Clinic's definition of antisocial behavior:

Quote:
Hostility, significant irritability, agitation, aggression or violence. Lack of empathy for others and lack of remorse about harming others. Unnecessary risk-taking or dangerous behavior with no regard for the safety of self or others. Poor or abusive relationships

goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:48 am
@Linkat,
I see. You may be right. Ta.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:53 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

That being said, I'm sympathetic to your view that it's a matter of morality or one's upbringing. Plus, most learned people tend to refrain from doing this since they are repulsed by such depraved behavior-by which I mean they strive to be bright minds instead of uncouth souls.

I'm not a shrink nor a sleuth, so I don't know much about serial killers, despite having read some crimes novels featuring tough-cookies and gangsters. And I find that some characters in these novels treat their beloved ones nicely, even though they bilk their clients and even put away their enemies without showing mercy; some of them even have cats or dogs.

I am actually not saying that it is how you are brought up - if someone is a crazy enough to be a mass murderer it doesn't matter how you were brought up. What I am saying as a child doing something cruel - is because a child does not fully understand the repercussions - that they fully understand the harm of their act.

I have a personal experience. When my children were both very young - one was an infant about 6 months or so and my other daughter was 4, they were in their car seats in the back seat. The baby was crying and I was almost home.

When I got home, I took the baby out of the seat - her whole face had scratch marks going down her face and was bleeding. I looked at my 4 year old in horror! How could my toddler do something so cruel - I immediately called the doctor described what happened -- the doctor assured me the baby would be fine, just clean the cuts and they will heal quickly.

Then I asked what do I do about my 4 year old ? How could she do this? The doctor calmly explained as she could hear my 4 year old screaming and crying in the background - she is 4 years old, she probably heard the baby crying it was bothering her so she scratched the baby. A 4 year old does not understand the repercussions of her actions. They just react. They need to learn this - and it sounds like she understands now.

My daughter is 21 now she did not grow up harming animals or murdering others. Quite the opposite -

A crazy person does not have the same morals and does not learn and understand that this is cruel even with proper upbringing.
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:56 am
@Setanta,
Really? I have never heard of such things before today. Be frankly, I have never had a chance to get either a cat or a dog. Maybe I could get a cat or a dog one day after moving into a big house. Thanks for enlightening me.
goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:59 am
@Linkat,
Got it. I'm not married, so I don't have this kind of experience like you. You must be a perfect dad or mom for your kids. Good Luck to you.
Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:02 am
If you are really interested in this - here is a great read - I figured this is best resource as I am not psychiatrist either - I just like to read stuff

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/why-the-wild-things-are/201302/do-mass-killers-start-out-harming-pets

Just an excerpt of what we were talking about, but the entire article is very informative and not written like a science text:

Young children might pull the cat’s tail or yank the dog’s hair out of curiosity or mischief. These can be teachable moments for parents or other adults to build empathy by pointing out the animal’s feelings and needs. However, when a child of any age shows intentional cruelty toward animals that is repeated, severe and without remorse, this should be taken seriously. It is not only crucial to keep animals safe, but childhood animal abuse is linked to other forms of violence and psychopathology. A child who abuses animals requires immediate intervention and treatment. Animal abuse is often the first manifestation of serious emotional turmoil that may escalate into extreme violence, such as mass killing.
Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:04 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

Got it. I'm not married, so I don't have this kind of experience like you. You must be a perfect dad or mom for your kids. Good Luck to you.

Thanks -- far from perfect -- I was a hysterical mess when that happened. I thought I had a terror child. The doctor set me straight.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:06 am
@Linkat,
Thanks. I will check it out later.
0 Replies