Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:01 pm
Well Nixon certainly has us all fooled with is "I am not a crook" speech. Even better was Reagan's defense re Iran/Contra with "I don't remember"
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:08 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Okay. After reading Kuvasz' exhaustive analysis here, I am going to disagree with Kuvasz and actually agree with Tico on one point only.

There is no legal ruling, yet, that Valerie Wilson was in fact a covert agent. Not yet.

There have only been rulings that reporters can be compelled to testify at a Grand Jury investigation because the investigator, Fitzgerald, has demonstrated that there is a good chance that the crime of revealing the identity of a covert agent has been committed.

I think the issue revolves around the following statement from the Appellate Court.
Appellate Court wrote:
On the record before us, there is at
least sufficient allegation to warrant grand jury inquiry that one
or both journalists received information concerning the identity
of a covert operative of the United States from government
employees acting in violation of the law by making the
disclosure.

The Appellate Court is not categorically saying that Valerie Wilson was a covert operative for sure, and there is sufficient evidence to proceed with an inquiry as to whether or not her identity was revealed illegally.

What the Appellate Court is saying is that there is enough evidence to proceed with an inquiry into the question of whether or not the crime of revealing illegally the identity of a covert agent has been committed.

There is nothing in the ruling which says that anybody charged with this crime, (if they are), is not free to argue that the crime has not been committed because the prosecutor cannot show that Valerie Wilson was actually covert in the first place.

The Appellate Division has only ruled, in my opinion, that Fitzgerald has presented enough evidence that Valerie Wilson was covert for the inquiry to go forward.

Are you guys living in the world of Null-A?

In response to Justice Department inquiries, viz., Fitzgerald's, CIA lawyers answered 11 questions, affirming that Plame's identity was classified, that whoever released it was not authorized to do so, and that the news media would not have been able to guess her identity without the leak. All together grounds for a criminal investigation.

The leak of the name is a violation of two laws that bar revealing the identities of covert operatives: the National Agents' Identity Act and the Unauthorized Release of Classified Information Act.

Have they stopped teaching Aristoletian logic in the universities?

Aristotelian logic is two-fold: (X) is either equal to (A) or (not A).

Plame's status (X) was either equal to (A) covert, or equal to (not A), not covert.

The courts rejected the merits of the claims made in the amicus brief that she was not covert. They rejected the claims that Plame's status (X) was equal to (not A).

What remains of the Court's rejection of the claim of (not A) is the fundamental assertion of (X) is equal to (A), that she was covert.

Or are you guys claiming that Aristole was wrong?

Or of course, maybe American jurisprudence has suddenly resorted to the application of the seven-valued logic of the Jains, called the Sapta-bhangi: a thing may be Syat asti; a thing may not be Syat nasti; a thing may or may not be Syat asti nasti; a thing may be inexpressible or indescribable Syat avaktavyah; maybe it is and is inexpressible Syat nasti ca avaktavyah; maybe it is, is not, and is inexpressible Syat asti ca nasti ca avaktavyah.

In that case, good luck in a court room.

The argument is being made that the federal courts have not spoken about the status of Plame's status as a covert agent. However, in the amicus brief before Hogan and the Apppellate Court review of Judge Hogan's decision, a claim was made that she was not covert at the time she was outed.

The Appellate Court did rule on this claim in reference to the claims outlined in the amicus brief. It ruled
Quote:
"We further conclude that other assignments of error raised by appellants are without merit. We therefore affirm the decision of the District Court."

Those "assignments of errors" included that Plame was not covert.

THE SYLLOGISM IS WRITTEN THUSLY:

1. (A) IS NOT = TO (NOT A).

COVERT IS NOT = TO NOT COVERT.

2. (X) IS = TO (A), OR = TO (NOT A), BUT CAN NOT, BY THE FIRST STATEMENT ABOVE, BE EQUAL TO BOTH.

HER STATUS WAS EQUAL TO COVERT OR EQUAL TO NOT COVERT.

3. THE COURT REJECTED ("AS WITHOUT MERIT") THE CLAIM OF THE AMICUS BRIEF THAT

(X) IS EQUAL TO (NOT A),

4. IPSO FACTO, (X) IS EQUAL TO (A),

viz.., Plame was a covert agent

If the amicus brief claims that Plame was not covert, and the Court concludes that such a claim is without merit, what else is the court saying but that Plame was covert?

It rejects the thesis that Plame was not covert. What remains, by analog logic can only be the affirmation of the antithesis, viz., the conclusion by the Court that she was covert.

If your claim to a court is the thesis that you are a jelly donut, and the court rejects that claim as "without merit", it is affirming the anthesis, viz., that you are not a jelly donut.

The court does not have to say directly that you are not a jelly donut, all it has to do is affirm that your claim is without merit to say so.

That is exactly what the Court did, sans pastry.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:10 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
For any libbie who has ever said one negative word towards my occasional posting of a story I feel is important to a discussion .... I give you BBB, in her normal and usual manner, doing more of that than anyone else .... and of course, no chastizing to be heard from the left side of this thread.

One half a guffaw.

BBB and I have talked about this exact issue. My preference is for a short teaser paragraph or three. Her argument is that, increasingly, journals are archiving behind a pay-for-access barrier. Inclusion of full text allows coherence for those who come to a thread late and further, gives us all a complete record for future reference. Both are valid arguments.

I have taken you to task on this matter but moreso because your sources are almost exclusively (95%?) from two news sources (townhall and newsmax) which were established towards the specific end of forwarding one partisan viewpoint only. BBB casts a wider net than do you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:12 pm
NOT!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:12 pm
Quote:
Are you guys living in the world of Null-A?

Kuv...I wonder how many here will get that ancient reference?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:25 pm
OK right from the git-go Aritstotle was a fruitcake damn near as evil for western civialization as Plato.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:29 pm
blatham wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
For any libbie who has ever said one negative word towards my occasional posting of a story I feel is important to a discussion .... I give you BBB, in her normal and usual manner, doing more of that than anyone else .... and of course, no chastizing to be heard from the left side of this thread.

One half a guffaw.

BBB and I have talked about this exact issue. My preference is for a short teaser paragraph or three. Her argument is that, increasingly, journals are archiving behind a pay-for-access barrier. Inclusion of full text allows coherence for those who come to a thread late and further, gives us all a complete record for future reference. Both are valid arguments.

I have taken you to task on this matter but moreso because your sources are almost exclusively (95%?) from two news sources (townhall and newsmax) which were established towards the specific end of forwarding one partisan viewpoint only. BBB casts a wider net than do you.

This is new and important information.

Up until now, BBB's cut and paste practice drove me nuts. Now I see the wisdom of her ways.

Well done BBB.

Does this mean I need to re-examine her political views?

Naaah.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:42 pm
Now perhaps someone can provide a reasonable explanation for why it is necessary for posters to intrude on threads with "breaking news."

Presumably those who frequent A2K are quite inclined to use the web for news updates as well as opinion posting.

I concede BBB had a valid reason for her seemingly excessive "cut & paste," and so I am open to an explanation for why A2K Walter Cronkites must provide us with the latest headline.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:18 pm
Lash wrote:
NOT!

LOL Embarrassed
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:23 pm
Lash wrote:
They're HYSTERICAL to rid themselves of Rove--He kicks ass.

But, you know, they are going to have to come to the realization that the Democrat party is in official dealignment. It happens ever so often--the breaking down and realignment of political parties.

They are in an advanced state of collapse.

De-Roving the GOP (as if they could) can't save them.

This ain't about Rove. You will wish that this was just about one or two "political operatives." If it were, someone would have already turned. Fitzgerald's target is the POTUS.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:27 pm
And dragons and martians...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Quote:
I concede BBB had a valid reason for her seemingly excessive "cut & paste," and so I am open to an explanation for why A2K Walter Cronkites must provide us with the latest headline.

Uh. Topicality?

um... interest?

Er...hoping to save time because as soon as one posts w/o sufficient linkage, one is challenged to do so?

Joe(and it's a problem how?)Nation
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:31 pm
Lash wrote:

Bwahahahahahahahhahhhah

Tell me now so I can find the recipe, just how do you prefer your crow, Lash LaRue?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:33 pm
I've learned a lot from cut and pastes here (or links to breaking news), from both sides. (Or however many sides there are...)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:35 pm
Chrissee wrote:
Lash wrote:

Bwahahahahahahahhahhhah

Tell me now so I can find the recipe, just how do you prefer your crow, Lash LaRue?

Since you'll be the one eating, pick your own recipe, Chrissee Butts.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
Wanna put some dinero on it?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:46 pm
No, honor.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:51 pm
Your honor? That's not worth a whole lot if anything at all.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:53 pm
Damn, I love irony.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:54 pm
Well, that would certainly sum up the real problem with the Bush Administration - no honor. Whatever it takes to get elected, do it. Whatever it takes to hold on to power, do it. Whatever seems to fit their own ideological focus, whether it is taxes or judges, invading Iraq or failing to recognize world treatys on environment, they do it without compunction or adherence to honor, all while holding as dear their moral values followers. As long as their base is protected, honor can wait.

Joe(if anyone challenges us, their spouses will be fair game.)Nation
0 Replies