Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm
Why, Sumac?

Because Attack, Attack, Attack,

is all Republicans know how to do these days.

They think that if they discredit Wilson and Plame enough this whole thing will go away.

Unfortunately, this tactic just makes them look even more thuggish.

Now they claim a 'smear job' is being done on Rove. Of all things. Ridiculousness.

You can't get Republicans, including the ones on this board, to discuss what actually happened or the implications of senior staffers leaking to the press; no, they would rather focus on attacking and discrediting anyone who speaks badly about them.

Which is how this whole mess started, remember?

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm
The whole dam what? Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm
Sshhh, everyone. I want Tico to think about it and say something in his own words.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
Tico, I respect your own analysis a lot more than this stuff you're pasting -- you're much more careful and factual.

I'm going to try to collect pending issues, would appreciate help (from anyone.)

1.) Was Valerie Plame a covert agent at all?

This seems likely but hasn't been confirmed yet.

2.) If she was, had she been overseas in the 5 years before Novak's article?

It seems likely that she wasn't stationed overseas, but possible that a single trip abroad would suffice.

3.) If all of those are true -- if she was considered a covert agent at the time Novak's article was published -- did Rove break the law by confirming her status to at least Cooper?

This seems to be "yes," but still various elements that are a bit ambiguous.

4.) Does anything Plame or Wilson did have any bearing on the current investigation?

It seems like it doesn't outside of #1. If she outed herself, she wasn't covert.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:22 pm
sumac wrote:
Tico, it is possible to find published articles which reflect your point of view. And to cite them, or quote them in full. Fine.

My question to you is, why? Why do you want to believe this?

Easy .... I'm not a libbie Bush-hater.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:24 pm
Let me ask ALL of you something -- what do you think is accomplished by the party-based sniping? (Republicans are all ____, Democrats are all ____?) I think this subject is interesting, but I'm thoroughly bored of the sniping, from both sides.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:25 pm
That is not a logical statement, Tico. Or rational.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
Tico, I respect your own analysis a lot more than this stuff you're pasting -- you're much more careful and factual.

I'm going to try to collect pending issues, would appreciate help (from anyone.)

1.) Was Valerie Plame a covert agent at all?

This seems likely but hasn't been confirmed yet.

2.) If she was, had she been overseas in the 5 years before Novak's article?

It seems likely that she wasn't stationed overseas, but possible that a single trip abroad would suffice.

Good luck, soz. Good questions. I've been asking those questions, and you saw what responses I got.

-----

Incidentally, any reason the libbies don't criticize their own when they cut & paste? Just curious. It seems it only becomes a problem when they see articles posted that provide a different perspective than what they want to see.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:27 pm
sumac wrote:
That is not a logical statement, Tico. Or rational.

Hmmm .... perhaps it wasn't a good question? Why don't you try answering it yourself, and I'll see what a proper response looks like? Why do you believe the anti-Bush/anti-Rove rhetoric?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
Tico, the response to what?

There are raising questions, and then there is the manner in which they are raised.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:34 pm
Soz:
I don't think that #1 will likely be answered any time soon. Even if someone actually knows the answer, AND has the authority to know the answer, I can't see such an individual having anything to say right now. Not on Plame, or ANY OTHER CIA operative. The company doesn't go around and reveal anything of this nature.

Tico,
I know why I have my views. I just wanted to know what was driving your views.

And I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with which political party is where on the political landscape.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm
Here's a question for you, tico. Why are we spending all our time hashing over the intricate legality questions of this issue, instead of dealing with what we all know really motivated Rove to even be discussing Plame at all? Or are you so in denial that you actually don't think rove was targeting Wilson for saying Bush lied about the uranium?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:38 pm
I agree that we probably won't know this stuff for a while, if ever (hopefully ever!), just trying to narrow down the current issues/ elements.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:41 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
sumac wrote:
Tico, it is possible to find published articles which reflect your point of view. And to cite them, or quote them in full. Fine.

My question to you is, why? Why do you want to believe this?

Easy .... I'm not a libbie Bush-hater.

not easy, tico. not everything is about our illustrious leader.

it is about a political appointee that has shown ZERO respect for the people who have invested their lives in working for the good of the country. nobody comes between karl rove (and the rovettes) and what he wants. nobody.

self agrandizing puppeteers like rove think that the world is their personal plaything and that they have no moral accountability for their actions.

i really don't understand how any american can in good faith defend or excuse this kind of crap. "oh, it's just a li'l party planner. yada yada yada". so next time it's "just an agent dealing with canada, no biggie". and on and on.

it's about morals and ethics. or is that only important when it involves that dirty, dirty sex ?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:49 pm
DTOM posted:

Quote:
it's about morals and ethics. or is that only important when it involves that dirty, dirty sex ? "

I am wondering if, in a driven need to defend, one points the finger at the poor behavior of another. As if one thing has any logical relationship to the other.

But yes, you are right. We can also discuss this in terms of the driving force behind the behaviors (Rove vs. Clinton), and the consequence for the individual, the political culture, the nation, the view of this nation's government through the eyes of others in this world, the view of this nation's government (and its' most elite participants) in the eyes of our impressionable young. And on, and on, and on.

Consequences? Movitation?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:41 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
July 18, 2005, 11:23 a.m.
Valerie's No Victim
Plame put herself into a political place.

Let's cut through all the clutter: Almost two years ago, I wrote that Joe Wilson had himself to blame for the publicity surrounding his wife, Valerie Plame. I was wrong. Look to Valerie Plame herself.

Despite all the hype, it appears that Plame works a desk job at the CIA. That's an admirable and important line of work. But it doesn't make her a covert operative, and it didn't make her a covert operative when Bob Novak mentioned her in his July 14, 2003, column, or the five years preceding the column's publication, during which time she hadn't served overseas as a spy, either. And even if Plame had been a covert operative, as I read the statute, Karl Rove or anyone revealing her identity, would: 1) have had to secure the information from classified information; and 2) intended to use the information to expose her identity. There's no information on the public record to support this, either.

The New York Times now reports that a State Department memorandum identifying Plame was circulated on Air Force One and perhaps other places. Ex-Secretary of State Colin Powell was reportedly seen on the plane with the memo in his hand. (Of course, like so much the Times publishes, this had already been reported long ago by both the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.) Perhaps the document was classified. Who knows at this point? But if Plame wasn't a covert operative who met the five-year foreign-service requirement, identifying her based on the memo should be of no legal consequence. And there are other reasons to conclude that revealing Plame's identity would not be a crime. In a devastating piece about the media's unconscionable hypocrisy, Andy McCarthy explains that the same media that are speculating about Rove's guilt filed papers in federal court insisting that there can be no underlying crime as Plame's identity was already known thanks to revelations having nothing to do with Rove or anyone else at the White House.

At this point, I have to wonder: What, exactly, is being investigated? The Left acts as if it doesn't much care as long as someone in this administration is made to look like a criminal. The goal is to damage the president. Indeed, even before the investigation's end, Charles Schumer, Harry Reid, and Joe Wilson himself are demanding Rove's head. And to think it all started with Valerie Plame herself.

That's right. an assignment he desperately wanted: a trip to Niger to investigate a "crazy" report that Saddam Hussein sought yellowcake uranium from Niger (her word, according to the Senate Intelligence Committee, not mine). And she was dogged. She asked not once but twice (the second time in a memo) that her husband get the job. And there's more. The Senate Intelligence Committee investigation also found that a CIA "analyst's notes indicate that a meeting was 'apparently convened by [the former ambassador's] wife who had the idea to dispatch [him] to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger issues."First, the former ambassador described his findings to Committee staff as more directly related to Iraq and, specifically, as refuting both the possibility that Niger could have sold uranium to Iraq and that Iraq approached Niger to purchase uranium. The intelligence report described how the structure of Niger's uranium mines would make it difficult, if not impossible, for Niger to sell uranium to rogue nations, and noted that Nigerian officials denied knowledge of any deals to sell uranium to any rogue states, but did not refuse the possibility that Iraq had approached Niger to purchase uranium.

Second, the former ambassador said that he discussed with his CIA contacts which names and signatures should have appeared on any documentation of a legitimate uranium transaction. In fact, the intelligence report made no mention of the alleged Iraq-Niger uranium deal or signatures that should have appeared on any documentation of such a deal. The only mention of Iraq in the report pertained to the meeting between the Iraqi delegation and former [Niger] Prime Minister Mayaki.

Third, the former ambassador noted that his CIA contacts told him there were documents pertaining to the alleged Iraq-Niger uranium transaction and that the source of the information was the [blacked out] intelligence service." In fact, the CIA did not provide Wilson with "any information about the source or details of the original reporting as it would have required sharing classified information and noted that there were no 'documents' circulating ... at the time of the former ambassador's trip, only intelligence reports from [blacked out] intelligence regarding an alleged Iraq-Niger uranium deal. ...[N]one of the meeting participants recall telling the former ambassador the source of the report ..
Also, see Cliff May's excellent reporting about the Plame/Wilson/David Corn connections.

great googlie mooglies, again with Plame sending Wlson to Niger?

lets review the character assassination in this article.

Quote:
an assignment he desperately wanted: a trip to Niger to investigate a "crazy" report that Saddam Hussein sought yellowcake uranium from Niger (her word, according to the Senate Intelligence Committee, not mine). And she was dogged. She asked not once but twice (the second time in a memo) that her husband get the job. And there's more. The Senate Intelligence Committee investigation also found that a CIA "analyst's notes indicate that a meeting was 'apparently convened by [the former ambassador's] wife who had the idea to dispatch [him] to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger issues."

first, the article states their reference as the SSCCI report, and does not identify it as the roberts addendum sign by only 3 of eigthteen senators on the SSCI .

second, the only evidence cited in the Roberts addendum for the "Plame sent Wilson" meme is her hand written memo that does NOT point to any request for him to travel to Niger.

Quote:
"[my] husband has good relations with both the PM [prime minister] and the former Minister of Mines (not to mention lots of French contacts), both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity.''
[/b]

there is no identification anywhere in the SSCI report (or roberts addendum) that makes mention of Plame dogging CIA to give Wilson the assignment to Niger stated below.

Quote:
She asked not once but twice (the second time in a memo) that her husband get the job. And there's more. The Senate Intelligence Committee investigation also found that a CIA "analyst's notes indicate that a meeting was 'apparently convened by [the former ambassador's] wife who had the idea to dispatch [him] to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger issues."

the analyst in question was not in the room, nor in the chain of comand to know who decided to send Wilson to Niger.

the CIA has already come out and said this statement is false, and presumes was made for political reasons.

http://foi.missouri.edu/voicesdissent/columnistnames.html

reported that:

Quote:
"A senior intelligence officer confirmed that Plame was a Directorate of Operations undercover officer who worked 'alongside' the operations officers who asked her husband to travel to Niger. But he said she did not recommend her husband to undertake the Niger assignment. 'They [the officers who did ask Wilson to check the uranium story] were aware of who she was married to, which is not surprising,' he said. 'There are people elsewhere in government who are trying to make her look like she was the one who was cooking this up, for some reason,' he said. 'I can't figure out what it could be.' 'We paid his [Wilson's] airfare. But to go to Niger is not exactly a benefit. Most people you'd have to pay big bucks to go there,' the senior intelligence official said. Wilson said he was reimbursed only for expenses."

Next is the statement that the assignment was one [quote]she accomplished getting her husband, Joe Wilson, an assignment he desperately wanted: a trip to Niger[/quote]

Who the hell wants to go to Niger?

Let's All Take Our Next Vacation in NIGER!

Republican apologists that Mrs. Un-named person arranged for an all expense paid vacation for her hubby to the exotic African country of Niger courtesy of the CIA. In other words, they say ambassador Wilson's trip to Niger was nothing more than a boondoggle.

Boondoggle: [1] An unnecessary or wasteful project or activity.
[2] . . . work of little or no value done merely to look busy.

research into Niger, Land of Enchantment

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_986.html

Quote:
"U.S. citizens are advised to avoid street demonstrations and maintain security awareness at all times."

Malaria is prevalent in Niger. Plasmodium falciparum malaria, the serious and sometimes fatal strain in Niger, is resistant to the anti-malarial drug chloroquine. Because travelers to Niger are at high risk for contracting malaria, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises that travelers should take one of the following antimalarial drugs: mefloquine (Lariam -tm), doxycycline, or atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone -tm). The CDC has determined that a traveler who is on an appropriate antimalarial drug has a greatly reduced chance of contracting the disease. Other personal protective measures, such as the use of insect repellents, also help to reduce malaria risk.

. . . Tap water is unsafe to drink throughout Niger and should be avoided. Bottled water and beverages are safe, although visitors should be aware that many restaurants and hotels serve tap water. Ice made from tap water is also unsafe to consume.

Information on vaccinations and other health precautions, such as safe food and water precautions and insect-bite protection, may be obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's hotline for international travelers at 1-877-FYI-TRIP (877-394-8747); fax: 1-888-CDC-FAXX (1-888-232-3299), or via CDC's Internet site at http://www.cdc.gov/travel.

Crime is at a critical level due primarily to the amount of thefts, robberies, and residential break-ins, and because of attempts of bribery and extortion aimed at foreigners by law enforcement authorities. Thefts and petty crimes are common day or night. However, armed attacks are normally committed at night by groups of two to four persons, with one assailant confronting the victim with a knife while the others provide surveillance or a show of force. Tourists should not walk alone around the Gaweye Hotel, National Museum, and on or near the Kennedy Bridge at any time, or the Petit Marche after dark. These areas are especially prone to muggings and should be avoided. Walking at night is not recommended as streetlights are scarce and criminals have the protection of darkness to commit their crimes. Recent criminal incidents in Niger have included carjackings, home invasions, and muggings. In December 2000, an American was killed in a carjacking incident in Niamey, and another American was gravely wounded in a carjacking incident outside of Niamey in 2004.

In August 2004, an attack against 2 buses on the Agadez-Arlit road left 3 dead and numerous persons wounded. Due to continued sporadic incidents of violence and banditry and other security concerns, the Department of State urges U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Niger to exercise caution when traveling within the northern and eastern parts of the country, especially along the borders of Mali, Libya, Algeria and Chad. Given the insecurity along these border regions, the Department of State recommends that American citizens in Niger avoid traveling overland to Algeria and Libya.

In previous attacks, groups of foreign travelers, including Americans, have been robbed of vehicles, cash and belongings. The government of Niger is taking steps to address crime/banditry but operates under severe resource constraints.

Use caution and common sense at all times to avoid thieves and pickpockets.

Go to sunny Niger and party like it's 1899.

Wilson "wanted" to go to Niger?

what the fu*k is wrong with you people?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
hi sumac. actually i hate to ever bring clinton into this stuff. his admin ended half a decade ago, so there's not much relevance. in this case, it was just the most convenient referrence.

i just find it fascinating when people who have spent years stomping around shrieking about morals and ethics are so quick to defend, excuse or ignore what is really freakin' crap behavior by any standard in the name of party loyalty.

i would feel the same way if it was any other administration people care to think up. past a certain point, some things are just reprehensible, legally criminal or not.

(and this comment is NOT directed personally at tico, i think most of the time he's simply enjoying a little mental jousting..)
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:56 pm
I agree with you, Tico. I also hate to enter Clinton's name into this because it is irrelevant, as you pointed out.

Mental jousting? Tongue in cheek? We could wish.

But, true believer (however difficult) might be closer to the mark.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:57 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Go to sunny Niger and party like it's 1899.

Wilson "wanted" to go to Niger?

what the fu*k is wrong with you people?

Laughing Laughing

ya can just hear that english guy from "lifestyles", right?

"some people love the riviera, but when former ambassador joseph wilson wants to shake his booty, he heads for the indulgent luxery of niger...where the party never stops and the rivers run with champagne".

frickin' delusional, that's what.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:00 pm
Party on....party on. Are we having fun yet?
0 Replies