Mounting various pieces of metal on wall hanging

Wallart

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2020 01:26 am
I have been collecting a number of various industrial pieces of metal that I would like to glue and mount on a backdrop of some sort for the purpose of hanging it on the wall. I’ve been given some good ideas for types of glue (though I’m open to suggestions) to get them all very permanently to live together on one piece at various angles to one another including stacking some upon each other.

My question is this: what would be a proper mounting surface to keep it light as possible so it would actually hang properly on a standard wall. The weight of all the metal figures to be substantial. I don’t believe a typical canvas would be the proper backdrop as I don’t see these pieces gluing well to such a surface.

The amount of metal I have collected is numerous and I am envisioning this piece to be rather large. Any advice that anyone can give would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 644 • Replies: 2
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 07:56 am
@Wallart,
First things first: have you checked with your land lord?

What is the construction of the wall, ie: wallboard on studs or masonry, is it a curtain wall or load bearing?

What is the total weight of your scrap metal and what is the are you plan to mount it in?

If the individual pieces are over 10# or so, gluing might not be the way to go. Mounting on canvas would not be the optimum way as the if the glue lasts, the canvas under the strain will not, it will at least start to sag.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:37 am
I would mount your metal art piece on a 4 x 8 sheet of stained 1/2 or 3/4” plywood, then attach that to the wall, on the studs ( with permission) or just lay it against the wall. Or use metal pegboard or bed frame.

Steampunk artwork often uses this metal layering format. Your project sounds cool.

0 Replies