Dune, Desert Planet, Epic Space Opera

Thu 16 Apr, 2020 06:38 pm
Who else is excited for this, the second cinematic attempt at Frank Herbert's legendary series, Dune.?

Dune (2020) is slated for Dec. 2020 release.

Setanta

Thu 16 Apr, 2020 06:50 pm
Two parts makes a lot more sense. The first movie ran too long, and tried to cram too much information into what was actually a limited space. It only made sense to those who had already read the book.
chai2

Thu 16 Apr, 2020 08:44 pm
@Setanta,
My feelings exactly.

And that creepy little girl.
If you hadn't read the book, you totally wouldn't get her.
I read it and I still got weirded out.
Watch 2:03 onwards

tsarstepan

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:03 am
@chai2,
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:57 pm
@Setanta,
To me the story is far far far too complex to made any kind of sense to someone who had not read the books repeat read the books first.

A long cable network series could handle the material assuming they have good writers.
tsarstepan

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 10:10 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

To me the story is far far far too complex to made any kind of sense to someone who had not read the books repeat read the books first.

A long cable network series could handle the material assuming they have good writers.

HBO Max is making a spinoff series based on the Bene Gesserits.
'Dune: The Sisterhood' Showrunner to Exit HBO Max Series
0 Replies

engineer

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 10:14 am
@BillRM,
There was a three part miniseries on SyFy that I thought got decent reviews but I haven't seen it. Maybe something to stream (when I'm watching The Magicians, True Blood or Bat Woman, all pandemic finds for me.)
tsarstepan

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 10:26 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

There was a three part miniseries on SyFy that I thought got decent reviews but I haven't seen it. Maybe something to stream (when I'm watching The Magicians, True Blood or Bat Woman, all pandemic finds for me.)

The SyFy series has some divisive reviews. And the CGI is terrible and doesn't age very well (from the clips I've seen). I haven't seen the series.
oralloy

Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I didn't mind it (or the CGI). But I may be easy to please.

One thing I would suggest is getting the extended director's cut of the SyFy series. It is superior to the standard version.

SyFy did a Children of Dune series as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Two parts makes a lot more sense. The first movie ran too long, and tried to cram too much information into what was actually a limited space. It only made sense to those who had already read the book.

The fan edit Dune: Alternative Edition Redux takes the added scenes from the horrendous TV movie, deleted outtake scenes available as bonus features on DVDs, and bootleg deleted outtake scenes, and adds them all to the movie in the proper order.

The result is a three hour movie that is much more comprehensible.

I strongly recommend this fan edit for any Dune fan. It's a true masterpiece.

Trailer:
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:29 am
tsarstepan wrote:
Who else is excited for this, the second cinematic attempt at Frank Herbert's legendary series, Dune.?

I'm going to see it of course. But for me the best Dune will always be Spicediver's Alternative Version Redux fan edit.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 08:33 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Thu 17 Dec, 2020 02:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Since the movie has been pushed back (in theory) until Oct. 2021, this hopefully will scratch your Muad'Dib related itch.
tsarstepan

Tue 16 Nov, 2021 12:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
engineer

Tue 16 Nov, 2021 02:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Saw it, it was good, but it didn't wow me. You just can't do the same level of world building in a movie.
oralloy

Thu 18 Nov, 2021 12:56 am
@engineer,
It wowed me.

For one thing, I never believed the Baron Harkonen could be so menacing. It makes the previous portrayals look comical.

There was also good writing and good acting through and through. It was a wonderful movie.
engineer

Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:20 am
@oralloy,
I did like the casting in just about every role including the villians.
0 Replies