Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:40 am
If, for some bizarre reason, you were find yourself on Death Row,what would your last meal be?

Mine is my mums coronation chicken, oven crunchies, potato salad, sausages,coleslaw, coke and blackcherry cheescake.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,309 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:11 am
Re: Last meal
material girl wrote:
coronation chicken, oven crunchies, .
- Please translate for those of us who do not speak British.

My order would consist of southern fried chicken, a side of BBQ ribs, blackened string beans, unsweeted iced tea with lemon, and the following macaroni and cheese recipe,:

The Best Macaroni & Cheese

1 Stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), plus a little more to butter a dish
6 slices good quality white bread (ripped into 1/2' pieces or so)
5 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (I know it is expensive, but it tastes fantastic)
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
1 pound macaroni (elbows or shells)
Salt to cook macaroni

Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Butter a 3- quart casserole dish.
Place bread pieces in a bowl - melt 2 tablespoons of butter and pour over the bread.

Warm the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. In a separate, larger saucepan melt remaining butter. When butter bubbles (careful not to burn) add flour and whisk for about a minute. Continue whisking and add a little of the hot milk - keep adding the milk slowly to keep the mixture smooth. In about 8-10 minutes the mixture will bubble and thicken, Remove pan from heat.

Stir in nutmeg, black pepper and cayenne. Add 3 cups of the grated cheddar cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the Gruyere and the 1/2 cup of Romano. Stir into a mixture. Keep warm, but not hot.

Prepare the macaroni by bringing salted water in a large pot to a boil. Cook the macaroni for just under 4 minutes, you want it underdone. Transfer the macaroni to a colander and rinse under cool water, drain well. Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce you made.
Pour the cheese/macaroni mixture into the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and put the bread crumbs on top of that. Bake until the top is a golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool for about 5 minutes before serving. This recipe can be halved, but leftovers can also be frozen.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:48 am
This thread - "Last Suppers" - was about A2Ker's reactions to photographs based on actual last meal requests on death row:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26248&highlight=
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:25 am
Oven crunchies are little bits of potato in the shape of a drinks can, basically chips, or fries.See, I speak American.
Coronation chicken is chicken in mayo which has been mixed with curry powder(i thnk) with slices of apple and banana added.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:20 am
material girl wrote:
Oven crunchies are little bits of potato in the shape of a drinks can, basically chips, or fries.See, I speak American.

Actually, the American term for that is "tater tots". Really.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
American chips are, I believe, British potato crisps -- very thin round (if not broken) slices of potato, fried crisp throughout and salted/flavored. Fries are long thin square pieces of potato, deep fried golden on the outside but still soft inside.

Steak fries are long thin potato wedges, usually skin on, that are fried. The outside is crispy but the inside, being there's mor of it, is more like a baked potato.

And by the way, your last meal doesn't sound bad at all, MG!
0 Replies

gettingbetter

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:34 pm
I would order the best/biggest steak they had to offer Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:36 pm
I like prime rib
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:58 pm
Steak, lobster, potatoes, onion rings, a nice red wine and a cherry pie for dessert. <high cholesterol but who cares?>
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:29 am
Clearly it would depend on the day.
Certain days a good hearty chicken pot pie, with a nice hefty crust, other times I would substitute a beef pot pie. Prefer it to have a high amount of calories, carrots, lots of well diced potatos, a good number of pearl onions and other delightful interiors including of course beef or chicken...as stated depending upon the day.
Putting the pot pies aside for a moment, if I were heading off to death on a Monday morning then I would prefer a good prime rib and a couple of good sized baked potatos with sour cream and butter and the potato skins good and crispy. Why such a different meal plan for Sunday night into Monday morning? Who says it's different? You'll notice all these plans include potatos.

Follow any of these meals with Death Chocolate Cake (gee how appropriate).
0 Replies