Coronavirus Diaries

hightor

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 11:55 am
Americans Coping With the Coronavirus Are Clogging Toilets

Of course the idiots are flushing paper towels, wet wipes, sponges, rags, dirty clothes, and probably furniture down the toilet. So, on top of everything else, there'll be emergency calls to plumbers — who are in short supply in many areas.

The speed of recovery will be slow and the cost great.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 02:41 pm
@Wilso,
I like your sig line.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 04:11 pm
I had a more successful day out in the dystopia today. Scored an 8-pack of tp, 2 anti-bacterial handwashes. In 2 WalMarts, 1 Dollar Store and a Publix, nary a Clorox wipey, though.

Still, bagged major prey.

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 04:41 pm
@Lash,
the alcohol wipes at .70% are the best. Clorox wipes dont kill all BACTERIA because bacteria can nucleate.
Lash

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 05:05 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you. I’ll google brands.

I wish you’d go back to your Bay of Fundy thread, or start another one—just about what goes on at your homestead with your burros, your art, your musings, your science. I’m not exaggerating to point out that we’ve encountered here in the past 20 years brilliant, talented people... Your writer’s voice —coupled with your experiences and singular perspective —is, to me, the most interesting and comfortable. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks so. Have you ever thought about blogging or putting your life together in a book of sorts?

Anyway. Hahaha. No pressure.🙃
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 06:48 pm
Bernie Sanders
@BernieSanders
·
1m
Some of my Republican colleagues are calling for a $1,000, one-time check to Americans.

Really?

That'll last you two or three weeks. What happens after that?

We need to give every person in this country $2,000 a month for the duration of this crisis.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:07 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Aside from the knowledge that the old seem to be the most vulnerable for dying, what bothers me the most as well is the growing numbers of unemployed. Even if the government sends out several hundred dollars to most of us, an unemployed person with small children could use that up in a couple of days. Then what? He still needs groceries. Right now there may be food pantries and such, but when the need grows overwhelming -?

My opinion - (although I would love to have an additional $1k) - the money should instead be sent or provided to those that lost their jobs. I can work from home so at least it appears I will be pulling in a regular pay check.

Those that cannot work because they are say a server in a restaurant or a hair stylist - should get some sort of coverage.

Although I have seen that those being temporary unemployed due to stores closing - most of the larger companies area still paying their employees. Whole foods just sent out something saying they are increasing their employee salaries by $2 an hour.

It is more a concern of small businesses. The owners are losing money due to having to close or significant decreases in business.. many it will be difficult to not completely close their doors permanently forget about paying salaries for their employees. Those are the ones that are suffering.

My daughter just signed up for uber eats to do during lunch and early dinners seeing she lost her jobs at college.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:10 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

We need to give every person in this country $2,000 a month for the duration of this crisis.

And where do we get all this money? I think it make most sense to pay those that have lost jobs temporarily. Many like myself are working at home or have jobs that are still in process - amazon and walmart both have been advertising that they are hiring - they are both doing lots of deliveries and we need these deliveries now.

Just sending thousands of dollars every month to everyone does not make sense - help those that need the help.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:19 am
So got back from packing my daughter from college. It was crazy. Our timing though was great. I never made it so quickly driving before. Got there in less than 8 hours - well we stopped about 2 and half hours short of her college as I booked a hotel for two nights there. The thought was I drive the 8+ hours and we have that hotel for 2 nights. Next morning drive to her school the 2 and half hours - pack her up, bring stuff to storage.

Meet with her assistant coach, hold a virtual meeting with the athletic trainer and pack the car for the stuff she was bringing home, drive the 2 and half hours, sleep, get up and drive home.

We tried to minimize our "touches" - just made one stop each way so as to avoid as much contact as at all possible.

Fortunately she was living in a campus house - it is basically right next to the campus. Fortunate because in the other housing, dorms and apartments - they were only letting in 10 people at a time so there were hours of wait time. They only gave them 45 minutes to gather their stuff before they allowed the next 10 people. There would be no way we could have done that. It took us several hours to clear out her stuff.

Any way - what I noticed driving back home - the most other cars I saw (besides from the state I was driving in ) were from Canada! There were tons - what the heck are you Canadians doing?

And there were alot of RVs too. I did see other people with stuff packed in their cars - guessing they were doing what we were.

The other odd thing - at the hotel I was very surprised they were still providing that free breakfast - the one where you go up and take whatever you want. I did not partake. They also had out at the desk - the normal cold water and a bowl of apples. What the heck? I did not touch any of that.
Lash

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:26 am
@Linkat,
I’m so glad it worked out well for you guys! Whew!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:41 am
@Linkat,
They could not reliably know who is in dire need, a little need or not needy. Better to give too much than not enough. When they can have the most bloated open ended military budget imaginable, when they can pump billions at the drop of a hat to shore up corporations and nobody questions how to pay for any of it, I think rechanneling much of that money to the ones that actually own it, the public, is not outrageous.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:46 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They could not reliably know who is in dire need, a little need or not needy. Better to give too much than not enough. When they can have the most bloated open ended military budget imaginable, when they can pump billions at the drop of a hat to shore up corporations and nobody questions how to pay for any of it, I think rechanneling much of that money to the ones that actually own it, the public, is not outrageous.

I am not saying that - what I am saying is it makes much more sense to give more to those that are not working. Wouldn't it make more sense to give $2k a month to those not working than $1k a month to everyone?

This would not be much different than unemployment - the business would simply report who is temporarily unemployed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 08:02 am
And I'm just saying too many will fall through the cracks.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 09:54 am
Not sure if this should be here or in the Red Sox

https://youtu.be/sPLgsV_Ms3Q
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 10:39 am

Archie hates other people.
be more like Archie...

https://i.imgur.com/N05Qgd6.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 02:24 pm
Mass governors is closing all non-essential businesses.

Understandable but this means tomorrow our gym closes. We go to a smaller gym and the owner has been keeping it open by requiring any members to call and schedule the time (on the hour) of when they want to come in. It is limited to 20 people and they need to be spread out.

They are checked in each hour - with a 45 minute limit; giving the chance for those 20 to leave and then the next twenty to come in - and give them the chance to make sure things are cleaned well in between.

The issue we have is this helps my daughter's anxiety. She is bummed now no basketball (they have a basketball court inside) - she is like no more basketball and I worry about her getting depressed - I am hoping we can find a hoop to play at as they also shut down the outdoor courts. I think the middle school may have one so as long as no one else is using it I told her she could go.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 02:29 pm
@Linkat,
Yes, this is going to have mental health consequences. I think we are all feeling it. My daughter has been having trouble too.

The governor says that liquor stores and marijuana stores are "essential" and can stay open. At least there is something for the adults.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yes, this is going to have mental health consequences. I think we are all feeling it. My daughter has been having trouble too.

The governor says that liquor stores and marijuana stores are "essential" and can stay open. At least there is something for the adults.

Medical Marijuana not the recreational - I did laugh my butt off when I saw liquor stores being one of the essential businesses - that is more essential than getting fit. I think it is more essential to the pocketbook.

She does have a virtual sports training though so I am hoping at least that exercising will help with her. She started getting this anxiety after she had torn her ACL and could not play/work out except for PT - I am not sure if this caused her anxiety but it definitely contributed to it. Playing helps her feel better.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:16 pm
@Linkat,
I will tell you, buying a bottle of good Bourbon sure makes being stuck in the house a little easier. I don't drink much, but it is somewhere between nice to have and essential.

I don't know the difference between medical and recreational marijuana any more. Does it matter? I assume that if I walk into a medical marijuana store to buy something, they aren't going to ask any questions.

Actually, I have no idea. I don't use pot... but if there was ever a time to start Wink .
roger

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not even speculating on the final bill, but it's better than an even money bet that those of us already on social security will be exempt. It might even limited to those who are unemployed due to the virus.

On the other hand, it might really include everyone if the idea is to keep the economy somewhat working. If they offer it to me, I'll take it if only to make up for the inflation caused by the giveaway, itself.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:58:39