Coronavirus Diaries

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 05:20 pm
@Brandon9000,
This worries me too. I’d been putting off dental work due to cost. Wonder what I’ll do if it becomes an emergency.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:22 am
@Lash,
Since it's Palm Sunday today, and churches have long been offering worship services only online, the palm branches were distributed to households this morning.(Because there are no palm trees in our country, they are traditionally boxwood twigs instead)

I do hope, however, that the Easter fire next week will not be put into the mailbox as well Wink
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 04:51 am
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Sounds like she’s hinting that FEMA under Trump are the ones who stole Massachusetts’ shipment of PPE. Goddammit. It’s unbelievable. Why the **** is he stealing and stockpiling life-saving material?? For WHO? Who is ‘us’?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As you probably know, Walter, many examples of wide-scale refusal to self-isolate are being reported in the US. Is anything similar happening in Germany?
alex240101

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:24 am
@Lash,
People are getting stir crazy kept inside. The weather is breaking, a day of sixty degrees after a long winter has the majority of people disregarding the stay at home rule. Entire families are going to the stores for non essentials. It blows me away the ignorance people have for the seriousness of this time. The stores are not reacting quick enough to close non essential departments or sides of stores. Some have, and even limited the intake of customers at one time. In my state of Michigan, the statistics exemplify this. I stood my six feet away in a check out line from a lady who only had bath towels and a cutlery drawer in her shopping cart. More are doing this then less.
If you have an avocado but no tortilla chips, experiment with what you have, it may be the best dam thing you tasted.

Be safe healthy to everyone on able2know.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:50 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Is anything similar happening in Germany?
Legally, that could be classified as bodily harm or attempted bodily harm and therefore be punished with prison sentences of up to 5 years or fines of up to 25,000 €.

Until now, however, such is mainly and only punished by local municipality offices - costs e.g. from 500€ if you accept a visitor (300€ for the visitor) up to 2,500€ if you leave your home.
Someone in a neighbouring town had to pay there 1,000 Euros the local paper reported the other day.
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:04 am
@alex240101,
Hi Alex,

I know I'm getting stir crazy--how about you? Do you have a solution for it? I keep promising myself to go outside, take a walk, but I just don't do it. Stir crazy vs depression and an overload of wariness.

The stats are really bad in Michigan; I watch the numbers of 8 states every day--Michigan is one. Hoping you stay safe. It really irks me to see large families bringing their kids in stores. I definitely understand single moms with kids, but if two adults are in these large groups, I'm assassinating them in my mind--one adult could have stayed home and protected those kids--and decreased crowding in stores.

I will speak up for the old lady with bath towels. I store-hop on my shopping days, desperate to find certain items. Sometimes, when I draw a blank, I still pick up other items I need that are definitely considered non-essential. I am worried about paper towels right now. I have to make another run today. If I can't find them, I'll have to buy bathcloths to do my cleaning--and then throw them away.

Are you in the glove or baby seal part of Michigan?

Glad to see you.
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You guys don't play. Thanks for answering.
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:22 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/coronavirus-testing-delays.html

This should get your blood moving--if you haven't read it already. It puts some anecdotes on to the generalized understanding of our failure re covid19.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:38 am
@Lash,
Well, not everywhere it's the same, but generally not bad all compared to elsewhere.

Germany's devolved logic is helping it win the coronavirus race
Quote:
As the coronavirus crisis tests the resilience of democracies around the globe, Germany has gone from cursing its lead-footed, decentralised political system to wondering if federalism’s tortoise versus hare logic puts it in a better position to brave the pandemic than most.

Under German federalism – which has roots going back to the Holy Roman Empire but was entrenched after the Nazi era to weaken centralised rule – key policy areas, such as health, education and cultural affairs, fall under the jurisdiction of the country’s 16 states, or Länder.

At the start of the Covid-19 outbreak, such a highly devolved system of governance made the woman nominally in charge of the country look oddly powerless: even when Angela Merkel announced the first raft of social-distancing measures, she could only make recommendations that the federal states were free to implement or ignore.

As social-distancing measures came into effect, there were howls of frustration over how wildly the lockdowns varied between the states: in Berlin, for example, buying a book from a shop is still allowed but having a picnic in the park is not. In Baden-Württemberg, it’s the other way around.

Federalism is useful for creating a dynamic business environment between different regions, but it can make it hard for an entire country to move in sync.
[...]
A week and a half into the de facto lockdown, however, Germany is beginning to discover the upsides of a system which distributes, rather than centralises, power.

The country suddenly finds itself being held up as the model to be emulated for its high rates of testing – seen by many as the only strategy for being able to navigate a route out of lockdown measures.

German public health services are provided not by one central authority but by approximately 400 public health offices, run by municipality and rural district administrations.

Such an environment allows for a variety of laboratories – some attached to universities or hospitals, others privately run, medium-sized businesses – which act largely autonomously of central control.

“I don’t have to wait to get a call from the health minister before I can go ahead with a test,” said Matthias Orth, of the Institute of Laboratory Medicine at Stuttgart’s Marienhospital.

Some private labs started offering tests for the Covid-19 virus long before statutory health insurers were offering to pay for the tests, giving Germany a head start. Now around 250 laboratories are carrying out between 300,000 and 500,000 tests for Covid-19 every week.

Not bad for a lead-footed tortoise.
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Wow. My son and I just had this same conversation. He's been agitating for de-centralization for years. I hope others in the US are paying attention to who's succeeding and how. Unfortunately, I think education in the US/Germany also plays a role.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 10:07 am
@Lash,
I reside lower part of thumb. I commute to the worse part.
Start saving your socks that get holes in them.
Still trying to see the seal. Thank you for that.
Keeping ones mind clean and busy is healthy. Time on hand. Painting, building, or a kid flying their first kite. I get it. Nevertheless, small sacrifice to wait until green light is given.
And it is nice to meet you Lash or re acquaint, I can not recall.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:26 am
@Brandon9000,
My dentist did as well, but they did say they will take care of emergencies. I would imagine most dentist would.
Linkat

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:33 am
So last night I had a dream. I went to the grocery store to get food. I went to the front of the store to ask a question and it was filled with people waiting in line to the point I somehow got in the middle and couldn’t move because it was so packed.

I start yelling social distancing.... social distancing and shoved people away to get out of the crowd.

I would never have had that dream a month ago.

Oh tried Whole Foods amazon prime ordering online and deliver to your car... was such a great experience I will probably do again even with the higher cost.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:41 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
My dentist did as well, but they did say they will take care of emergencies. I would imagine most dentist would.
Here, dentist's like any other doctor's practises are open, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists should be able to continue treating patients if there is evidence of medical necessity. And health-oriented handicraft services (hearing aid acousticians, opticians, orthopaedic shoemakers etc.) can also continue to be used.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 12:14 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

They said to call if you have an infection, but that even in that case, they cannot get into the building. That doesn't sound like an offer to take care of emergencies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 03:57 pm
The federal government is outbidding states for nurses’, medical workers’ PPEs. Kentucky reports losing orders for masks to federal government.

https://wfpl.org/federal-government-outbids-kentucky-for-medical-equipment-amid-shortage/?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR1udzSWQvUG1RrCItKNFsVWFOyh6jqRQ7zf_w-o379DvIgeq6ii0-DmmaM&fbclid=IwAR2LDKcgNK2Znp9xmg6c9SAuQJhVvZbyVbLXNGtuYZo45GIeznQ64qWnxfw

Excerpt:

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear says his administration is doing everything it can to prepare hospitals to be inundated with cases of COVID-19, but nearly every time the state has placed an order for medical protective gear, the federal government has prevented its transfer.

Kentucky is scaling up the number of hospital beds, enlisting state manufacturers to make protective equipment and doing its best to acquire supplies for medical workers amid a critical shortage.

State officials have also requested additional gloves, masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) from the Strategic National Stockpile, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and through private contracts.

But in most cases, Beshear said the federal government got it first.

“Our biggest problem is that just about every single order that we have out there for PPE, we get a call right when it’s supposed to be shipped and it’s typically the federal government has bought it,” Beshear said during a Saturday press conference. “It’s very hard to buy things when the federal government is there and anytime they want to buy it, they get it first.”
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 04:36 pm
The worst of America—3rd in the Series

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-24/medical-masks-auctioned-for-huge-markup-while-hospitals-run-out?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&utm_content=business&utm_source=twitter&fbclid=IwAR1roYYA8DNYbumHv5glcsMwTvg6Fz5S1lP3kutee1WDFxXK4LtN1HuOzgw

More Than 750,000 Masks Auctioned for Huge Markup While Hospitals Run Out
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:29 pm
@Lash,
Theres no longer any leadership. Congress should invoke the 25th

1. Forums
  2. » Coronavirus Diaries
  3. » Page 20
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 11:03:34