Coronavirus Diaries

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:46 am
@Lash,
I hesitate to make public my true feelings about it.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:50 am

Secular Talk
@KyleKulinski
·
7m
If Trump orders everything back to normal in 2 weeks the market will continue to plummet. So we'll have a crash AND a higher death rate. What the **** is wrong with these people?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:59 am
Rand Paul has exposed lots of his colleagues and staff to the virus. Still, congress refuses to shut the doors and do their business electronically.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:02 am
@edgarblythe,
LOL!!! I keep expecting armed men to bust through my door--and I'm not saying everything either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:08 am
Hamdia Ahmed
@hamdia_ahmed
·
1m
I feel like I am living in a third world country.

The fact that some people in the USA don’t have access to healthcare or medical testing right now is insane. This is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. I lived in a refugee camp & we had access to these things.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Secular Talk
@KyleKulinski
·
7m
If Trump orders everything back to normal in 2 weeks the market will continue to plummet. So we'll have a crash AND a higher death rate. What the **** is wrong with these people?

Oh! I wonder if he also has the lottery numbers from then?!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:20 am
In bad marriage coronavirus news, the Klob states she's not worried about having contracted the plague from her infected, hospitalized husband because she hasn't seen him in two weeks.

Gotta feel the love.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:25 am
Guys, be careful. Today, I've received two phishing calls. One said my car 'warranty' was dangerously close to lapsing... one, that I needed to protect my checking account.

With fear gripping the country, these calls / contacts will probably increase exponentially.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:37 am
@Lash,
Yes - be careful opening any email attachments. My company warned us today that there is alot of phishing and other things being sent in regards to COVID-19 including things like maps of affected areas, etc.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:50 am
@Setanta,
A typically long and windy response that says little, and has more to do with yourself than the subject to which your remarks were presumably addressed.

The question is how long a company can survive if all or a large majority of its revenue stream is cut off, and the productivity of what remains is significantly reduced by the ongoing constraints. A related issue is the extent to which a company can afford to retain its employees in such a situation.

I'm on the Boards of three corporations; one publicly traded; one a privately held S corp. and the third,and my own, which is an employee owned ESOP corporation. Revenues range from $3oo to $500 million/year. All three are consulting engineering & construction companies. My own is an environmental consulting and remediation company. Each does from 40% to 50% of it's work on fixed price, at risk, construction and remediation projects for mostly large private sector firms, the Federal government and various State & Local government agencies.

So far most of the private sector projects in all three companies are on hold, and the revenue streams winding down. New starts are rare. Federal environmental projects are continuing, though the complexity of getting reliable subcontractors, laboratory services, etc. has grown significantly. We now have most of our employees working at home. Field work on construction & remediation projects is becoming more difficult every day with issues ranging from local conditions and how to get the job done while maintaining 2 yds. separation adding new cost and complexity every day. We have excellent computer networks & software, but are already seeing lowered productivity on our consulting work, though we hope to mitigate that as we learn.

Basically ~ 20% of our revenue streams have stopped cold, putting all three companies in a loss position on ongoing operations. More cutoffs are expected as we continue. We expect to be able to sustain this without layoffs for a few months. However the operational obstacles are expected to grow as we continue the current constraints.

We can survive as long as our current assets & cash flow permit, though staff reductions become increasingly likely- something we don't want to do.

Overall we are fortunate in that the current environment permits the majority of our work to continue, though with a steady drain on current assets. Think of the industries that are even more affected from entertainment, to restaurants, retail sales, etc. All face far immediate losses of much larger fractions of revenue and all of the costs & complexities note above.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:56 am
@georgeob1,
In fact, oh father of long-winded, meaningless posts, the real question is why should tax payers bail out any corporation. Lining up to feed at the public trough, George?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
the real question is why should tax payers bail out any corporation.

And I will answer your real question:

1. Because by bailing out corporations, taxpayers can prevent layoffs. This may end up saving tax payers money in the long run.

2. Because some corporations, such as airlines, provide services essential to the economy. The cost of letting airlines go under are far greater than the cost of the bailout.

3. We want to avoid an even greater economic catastrophe.

It is pretty easy. If doing these bailouts is a net benefit to society as a whole, we should do them. This is particularly true if the alternative is an economic disaster. The rest of the partisan political rhetoric that Setanta et al are spewing is irrelevant.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Also, most tax payers work for those corporations. Gonna have a whole lot fewer taxpayers if they go under.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:21 pm
3/24/2020

In Spain, a doctor cries as he informs us that senior citizens are having their respirators removed to give to younger patients. He says the elders are anesthetized to help with the pain.

https://twitter.com/VertDuFerk/status/1242175982607282176?s=20

In other news, Trump says we need to get back to work by Easter.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:30 pm
All the goods sold, and all the services performed by corporations can and will quickly be sold or performed by someone else. at such time as there is a market for said goods or services, the use of which does not endanger citizens. There is no reason to pour billions into the corporate coffers now just because the wealthy are whining.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:35 pm
@Setanta,
Really.... small business are going to going to start buying and maintaining 737's. There are quite a few things that can't be practically done without a big corporation.

Setanta keeps getting sillier with each post.

[Now Max sits back to enjoy Setanta spewing insults in a fact-free temper tantrum of self-righteousness. I have popcorn if anyone wants.]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Guys, be careful. Today, I've received two phishing calls. One said my car 'warranty' was dangerously close to lapsing... one, that I needed to protect my checking account.

With fear gripping the country, these calls / contacts will probably increase exponentially.

I was already getting those kinds of emails all day long every day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:59 pm
The corporations deserve the amount of empathy we receive from them. Which is zilch.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 01:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The corporations deserve the amount of empathy we receive from them. Which is zilch.

Do you have any empathy for the people who work for these corporations and depend on these corporation to feed their families?

You extremists say you are for the workers, but you seem eager to screw the workers over to fight some political utopia.

There is a reason that a lot of workers, people who actually work with their hands for a living, voted for Trump. They were really voting against this type of political extremism.

You guys terrify many workers. You are threatening their jobs.

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 01:18 pm
Just got word.
My state is extending closure of schools to April 30.

Jesus Christ, I have to get OUT of this HOUSE. I should walk dogs for old people or something.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Coronavirus Diaries
  3. » Page 11
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 04:38:32