Recommendation of One's Employer

gollum

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:28 pm
May an employer in the U.S. recommend to its employees which candidate to vote for in an American election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,340 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 04:33 pm
@gollum,
Yes.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 07:49 pm
@gollum,
Yes, but not require it or make employees feel pressured to discuss or debate.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
An employer suggesting you vote for a candidate of their choice is not putting pressure on said employee?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:02 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

May an employer in the U.S. recommend to its employees which candidate to vote for in an American election?

Your questions are often TOO vague and contextless. You really need to add context so one can answer in turn (allowing nuances to be addressed and covered).

May an employer in the U.S. recommend to its employees which candidate to vote for in an American election? Yes. There's the 1st Amendment after all. Should an employer in the U.S. recommend to its employees which candidate to vote for in an American election? Probably not (from an ethical/moral point of view). Can an employer in the U.S. force (and I suspect this is the question you may be implying but aren't asking because you always ask super vague questions and this is why you need to add context) to its employees which candidate to vote for in an American election? I'm pretty sure this is illegal (but I'm too lazy to do your research on the actual laws in the proverbial state or federal books).

Ask the question you want to be asked (and that should involve WHY you are asking a given question). That will help anyone tailor their answers to actually answer your threads.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:27 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

An employer suggesting you vote for a candidate of their choice is not putting pressure on said employee?

Of course not. How would they know who you voted for?
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 05:09 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan-

Thank you.

I saw a person wearing a cap stating Make America Great Again (i.e., Trump) and a company name. Prior to seeing that, I do not remember any company supporting a particular candidate, which led to my asking the question.

Notwithstanding how it came up, I was interested in the general issue, not confined to this one instance.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 10:14 am
@gollum,
At my job, it is pretty clear that people are anti-Trump. Several people have "Impeach" stickers displayed on their desks. When I started working there, someone awkwardly did a check to find out my politics. Fortunately I fit in just fine.

That wouldn't effect my vote though.
0 Replies