Converting Video to DVD - Out of Synch Problem

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:35 am
With VCRs beginning to fade out of the picture, I would like to convert something like 10% of my many hundred of videos to DVD. Also, I am thinking of getting a camcorder. For this reason, I bought a Dazzle 150 video capture device. The hardware works fine, but it comes bundled with some capture/render software by Pinnacle that persistently produces DVDs in which the audio is frequently out of synch with the video. People are screaming about it all over the Pinnacle Web site. It was rumored that Ulead Video Studio 9 did better, so I downloaded a trial version, but I have just produced my first full length conversion from video to DVD and it goes out of synch before long. I am not doing anything fancy, just taking the single, unbroken video, adding a scene selection menu and reducing the sampling rate to fit the whole thing on one of today's 4.7 GB DVDs. On the manufacturers' Web sites, I see numerous proposed solutions that are usually very elaborate and usually don't work. Does anybody know a real solution to this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 869 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Derevon

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:23 am
I don't know about that particular piece of software, but does it encode the sound in a compressed format, or does it use uncompressed raw PCM format? Also, does the audio gradually go more and more out of sync or is it the same throughout all the "movie"?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:09 pm
Derevon wrote:
I don't know about that particular piece of software, but does it encode the sound in a compressed format, or does it use uncompressed raw PCM format? Also, does the audio gradually go more and more out of sync or is it the same throughout all the "movie"?

I don't know how the software encodes the sound. The audio goes more and more out of synch, or, at least, is in synch in the beginning.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:43 pm
Its a pretty common problem, and more likely due to your video capture device than to your DVD burning software. Without spending a buncha money for a higher-quality VCD, you might find some success through breaking your video into shorter segments and recording them in sequence, as opposed to recording the entire thing at once. Thats not a great solution, I know, but its free.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:34 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Its a pretty common problem, and more likely due to your video capture device than to your DVD burning software. Without spending a buncha money for a higher-quality VCD, you might find some success through breaking your video into shorter segments and recording them in sequence, as opposed to recording the entire thing at once. Thats not a great solution, I know, but its free.

Actually, it's in the rendering stage, not the capture stage, because the MPEG produced after capture is flawless.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:06 pm
The error-correction used in the MPEG conversion from analog video is a fairly frequent source of loss-of-audio-synch problems. The video portion appears fine, sure, but due to frame adding or subtraction during the MPEG conversion, the lemgth of the MPEG-encoded video no longer matches the audio - generally an AVI file or something similar - which has not undergone frame correction, as it isn't video. The longer the piece to be recorded, the greater the opportunity for, and likelihood of, audio vs video timing error.

Anyhow, one thing that sometimes helps a bit is to shut down everything else but your video capture device while importing video to your hard drive, then when you go to transfer it to optical media, do so from the saved file, not streaming from the source, and with nothing other than your video-burning software running. Sometimes it helps to have your burning software generate a full image of the video you want to copy, and then burn from that, not from the saved file.

Honest, Brandon, its a real common problem, and audio/video websites, message boards and forums have tons of articles and posts discussing it - have had for years.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
Thanks. My system is 3 GHz with a GB of RAM, and a fast disk too, so it ought to be able to keep up. The point is that if the product I produce has audio and video out of synch, then there's no point in doing it at all.
0 Replies