A question to anti-immiggration conservatives.

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 09:47 am
Would you be fine with Trump landmining most or the entire US/Mexico border in order to deter illegal immigration?

Trump Administration Loosens Obama-Era Restrictions On Land Mine Use
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,870 • Replies: 30
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 09:54 am
Good thing he doesn't have McArthur at his command or he might be considering nuclear power along the border.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 12:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nope.

Build a wall, kill the tunnels, open up legal immigration and make it affordable.
engineer

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 12:25 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm up with opening up immigration and making it affordable. I think there should be US offices in various Mexican cities that can quickly process immigration requests, set up ID's, and provide transportation to various places in the US. There would be no need for dangerous cross border crossings and no demand for illegal immigrants since there would be plenty of legal immigrants and there would be little incentive for employers to hire those without paperwork.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 12:29 pm
@engineer,
Yeah, but drugs are bad, mm'kay?
oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 12:29 pm
@engineer,
I too like the idea of making legal immigration easily accessible to people.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 12:32 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't think LSD and pot are all that bad. I've never tried either, but I'd vote in favor of legalization.

Crack and heroin on the other hand should remain illegal.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 12:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I don't think LSD and pot are all that bad. I've never tried either, but I'd vote in favor of legalization.

Crack and heroin on the other hand should remain illegal.

For the right type of people LSD is fun, for others not so much. Pot is fine, but I was referring to the **** that kills people. Meth, Heroin, Fentanyl...

Now, if they start bringing over insulin and anti-cancer pills, well, maybe I would rethink my stance.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 02:40 pm
@McGentrix,
Seems a bit of a non-sequitur, but sure. Of course reducing the number of desperate people who create easy conduits for trafficking would be a win there as well.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 10:35 pm
@engineer,
Well, I'm for legal immigration. We have a great place to live and I would want to live here too. All I ask is they do it legally and I think the US should be accessible.

The pipeline of illegal drugs and guns coming up from the South has to be stopped though.
roger

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 10:54 pm
@McGentrix,
I agree. I'm as conservative as ever, and am dead set against illegal immigration . The legal means should be much more accessible, quicker, and cheaper.

So far as land mines, that's not on my table at all.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 10:57 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Yeah, but drugs are bad, mm'kay?

Sure, drugs are bad (well, misuse of drugs and smuggling drugs is awful) but how about infants and toddlers being passed around like party favors??? Not a big deal????? Sure blame the parents.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
There aren't many "anti-immigration" conservatives. There are plenty who are anti-illegal immigration but those are two very distinct things despite what progressives want to push.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 04:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There aren't many "anti-immigration" conservatives. There are plenty who are anti-illegal immigration but those are two very distinct things despite what progressives want to push.

This is a ridiculous argument. Most Conservatives who are anti-illegal immigrant are absolutely anti-immigrant. That is why they are passing more laws supporting policies to block immigration.

Let's look at how ridiculous this argument is by putting it in terms that most conservatives would understand.

If someone says "I am not anti-gun I am just anti-illegal gun" and then supports policies and laws that further restrictions on guns... what would you say?

This is nonsense.
roger

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 04:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Doesn't that line of thinking lead to the idea that we could eliminate all crime by deleting all criminal law?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 04:31 pm
@roger,
Sorry we cross posted... my bad. Here is the part you missed.

Let's look at how ridiculous this argument is by putting it in terms that most conservatives would understand.

If someone says "I am not anti-gun I am just anti-illegal gun" and then supports policies and laws that further restrictions on guns... what would you say? It is a political slight of hand to avoid taking a position you are uncomfortable with.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 04:38 pm
@roger,
I have no problem defending that line of thinking.

I am anti-murder. I am anti-robbery. I am anti-vandalism. I have no problem owning up to the things that I oppose.

The line you are using is only needed when you are practicing political evasion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 04:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Most Conservatives who are anti-illegal immigrant are absolutely anti-immigrant.

Maybe most are, but I'm not.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 06:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is a ridiculous argument. Most Conservatives who are anti-illegal immigrant are absolutely anti-immigrant. That is why they are passing more laws supporting policies to block immigration.

If someone says "I am not anti-gun I am just anti-illegal gun" and then supports policies and laws that further restrictions on guns... what would you say?

This is nonsense.

Yes, everything you just wrote is nonsense.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 08:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix,

Trump has enacted or supported a great number policies that hurt legal immigrants. This includes revoking visas, raising fees, reducing legal refugee admissions, raising barriers to immigration including means tests. I have friends here legally on work visas whose lives have gotten considerably more difficult (to the point that that they are considering other countries).

Is there any way you can tell me that you personally support legal immigration especially in light of the current administration?
0 Replies