Definition of "human nature; is any alteration negative?

kuvasz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:41 pm
Is there a definition of "human nature" so mystical that alteration must by definition be negative?

Eugenics?

Genetic-gene manipulation?

Cyborg?

What happens when man and machine blesh?......(for Sturgeon fans).

RE: Francis Fukuyama's anti-biotech book, "Our Posthuman Future."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,045 • Replies: 17
No top replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:52 pm
Re: Definition of "human nature; is any alteration nega
Youch, Kuvasz, a heavy-duty question Exclamation But I think part of the answer lies right there in your signature: "There are many truths of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience has brought it home." Look at the Nazis and their attempts at eugenix, just for starters. And look at the Bed Of Procrustes of Communism. In both cases, misery, misery, misery.

Not an exhaustive reply, by any means; just my 2 Cents . :wink:
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:43 pm
I share your concern for the future my friend.

People are not objects, not some machines that you could shut down with little significance. Yet, those that can not see that a person is not just some carbon materials, bones, tissues, and fluids, think that they understand humanity, degenerating people into genes and atoms and electrons. Yet within this very make-up, within the very combination and interactions of matter, there arise the pattern, the spark, the soul, that is aware and conscious, knowing and seeing.

Like a doubtless fool the anti-humanists work, among their datas and beliefs, yet so unaware of what makes them think such, and so unaware of the missing data, the truth beyond their scientific datas, the understanding of what the conscious is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:01 am
Kuvasz, Any person with an artificial part in his body is a cyborg. It's not just sci-fi any longer.

That's my way of marking
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:03 pm
I wouldn't call them cyborg, I think a person would be a cybor if he has qires connected to his brain...

I think these artificial materials aren't bad things, it's just the eugenics thing I'm worried about.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:11 pm
Ray, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

My husband has a pace maker
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:17 pm
Cool link. So a cyborg is any mixture of organic and mechanical parts.
I guess my definition in the last post was a result of too many sci-fi movies.

It says here that in an extreme interpretation, clothing is viewed as a mechanical part. Surprised
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:27 pm
Hey, honey. Folks can twist definitions to suit the current mode.

Ray, it was good to see you on WA2K. Be a regular.
0 Replies

clear

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:34 pm
evolution happened the way it did for a reason. you're not saying that humans are better than other "species" simply any alteration on any species would seem negative to that species cause it isn't healthy for them especially if you look at evolution.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:22 pm
Thanks Letty, but I wouldn't know what to write...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:36 pm
Ray, write what you do best. I've seen what you have said. It's totally lucid, and that's an honest observation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:37 am
As I see it "human nature" is merely an extension of "nature", but still existing within it. The nature of humans is the nature of everything else.
0 Replies

4mrEd

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:18 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
The nature of humans is the nature of everything else.

So we are nothing but jellyfish? :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:44 am
Well, the nature of jellyfish is the nature of everything else.

Jellyfish share a great amount of DNA with humans. Some jelly creatures, I do not know their names, grow on the bottom of the sea. They look like pumping hearts, and have over 80% identical DNA with humans. Specifically, the genes that have to do with the heart.

Another thing. At an early stage of evolution, in the womb, we all have tails and gills. We looked more like fish than humans. Then genes kick in and gills become jaw and ear. We resemble lots of creatures before we come out looking like small humans. I don't know where I'm going with this except to say that everything is built after one single blueprint, so to speak.
0 Replies

4mrEd

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:48 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Well, the nature of jellyfish is the nature of everything else.

Jellyfish share a great amount of DNA with humans. Some jelly creatures, I do not know their names, grow on the bottom of the sea. They look like pumping hearts, and have over 80% identical DNA with humans. Specifically, the genes that have to do with the heart.

Another thing. At an early stage of evolution, in the womb, we all have tails and gills. We looked more like fish than humans. Then genes kick in and gills become jaw and ear. We resemble lots of creatures before we come out looking like small humans. I don't know where I'm going with this except to say that everything is built after one single blueprint, so to speak.

I see, so in your view, DNA is the be all and the end all of our nature?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:55 am
Re: Definition of "human nature; is any alteration nega
kuvasz wrote:
Is there a definition of "human nature" so mystical that alteration must by definition be negative?

Eugenics?

Genetic-gene manipulation?

Cyborg?

What happens when man and machine blesh?......(for Sturgeon fans).

RE: Francis Fukuyama's anti-biotech book, "Our Posthuman Future."

Well?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:12 am
4mrEd wrote:
Quote:
I see, so in your view, DNA is the be all and the end all of our nature?

No. It is just looking at things from one level, the genetic aspect of things. In all levels of existence, and in all levels it can be percieved we end at one conclusion. The whole of creation is a tower built stone on stone. The existence of the jellyfish is what enables our existence, so to speak. It is the same evolution.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:42 am
Kuvasz wrote:
Is there a definition of "human nature" so mystical that alteration must by definition be negative

Doc

You travel in such deep waters that I'm not really sure what you're getting at.
Are you suggesting that you think "human nature" CAN be altered?
0 Replies