Why are anti-gunners so afraid to admit they just want all guns banned and confiscated?

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 12:22 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Selective fire rilfes are semiautomatic weapons, among other things. There is nothing dishonest about that.

Sure there is. You claimed that the military uses semiautomatic rifles. When it is pointed out to you that the military uses only select-fire rifles, you reached into your little bag of tricks and pulled out another false claim. This time you tried to claim that, because the select-fire rifle that the military uses has a semiautomatic setting, that means that the military does use semiautomatic weapons, and you're off the hook for making a false claim again.

Truth is, the military does not use semiautomatic rifles because they are not effective enough for their purposes. So yeah, you were dishonest.

In regard to exclusively semiautomatic rifles, you're correct. Truth is, I didn't say the military uses exclusively semiautomatic rifles. I said semiautomatic mode is one of the selective fire options. There is no dishonesty in that.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
The military likes the additional firing options on the rifles they issue.

Yeah, they like the select-fire rifles because semiautomatic rifles are not adequate for their purposes.

Yep.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
It's about the rifles, not their individual features.

No. You've clearly stated that it's the individual features, both alone and in combination that makes the rifle especially dangerous. And as long as you deny your own words, I will happily remind you of what you said until it sticks.

Where did I say that, exactly?

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
What everyone sees, gun nuts notwithstanding, is that the contradiction is in your own head, muddled as it is with your inability to see the rifle for its features in your psychotic possessory obsession with these rifles.

Well let's take an honest look at what's happening here. You think that I'm obsessed with the AR-15 because I'm challenging your false obsessive claims that it is an especially dangerous rifle by virtue of its pistol-grip and or flash suppressor, etc. And yet you have nothing but your hysteria to prove your claims. That's what everyone sees.

In all honesty, what's hysterical is your obsessive deduction that an AR-15 is reducible to its pistol grip and flash suppressor and other features, and your conflation of that deduction with my position on assault weapons. Your psychosis is exposed for all to see.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 12:40 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
You don't have to own one to be obsessed with them.

Yes, your continual hysteria surrounding them certainly proves that claim.

Says the gun psycho with the endless tail chasing about pistol grips on an AR-15.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, own a gun for home protection, but AR-15's shouldn't be an option.

Yes, everyone knows how you feel about flash suppressors and pistol-grips, and how you have nothing real to base those feelings on.

As real as the reason and logic you claim to use in your actually unreasonable and illogical conclusion that lack of proof is proof of falsehood.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
You've gone further and claimed that it is untrue based on your appeal to what you regard as rasoning and logic.

No. You're not paying attention again. I've claimed that your claim is untrue based on the fact that you have nothing but your hysteria concerning pistol-grips and flash suppressors to show that your claim is true. And you back up that hysteria with a declaration that you could prove it, but choose not to.

Yes. That you can't keep up with your own psychotically muddled thoughts is your problem. Seek help.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Better yet, go back and read my response to this endless questin of yours.

It's nowhere to be found.

So, now the endless pages of my responses to this endless question of yours have all of a sudden disappeard? Seek help.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
It is circularity when, after I had already pointed that out to you, you restate what I had already pointed out to you.

You have not explained how a pistol-grip alone or in combination with a bayonet-mount makes a rifle especially dangerous.

This obesssion with your staw man argument is psychotic. Seek help.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 12:43 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Selective fire rilfes are semiautomatic weapons, among other things.

No they aren't. Semi-automatic weapons do not have a selective fire option.

Yes they are.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
It's about the rifles, not their individual features.

Trying to outlaw rifles because of individual features, is about individual features.

That's true. That's why it's all about the rifles, not their individual features, though.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 12:51 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
No it doesn't.

Wrong. "Semi-automatic" in the English language means semi-auto-only.

No it doesn't.

And "especially dangerous" in the English language means substantially more dangerous than normal. It doesn't mean more effective at it's intended purpose.
[/quote]
The two definitions aren't incongruent.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 01:00 am
If a full automatic weapon can be described as semi auto, then any semi auto could also be called a single shot weapon. It isn't really descriptive, but just as accurate.
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 09:05 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Whether through conscious deception or unconscious incomprehension, you've taken my words and defenstrated them and replaced them with your straw man argument.

No. It was through my conscious recognition of your very own words that I found that you have contradicted yourself and refuse to admit it. You claimed that it is those features make a rifle especially dangerous. Then you turned around and told me to forget about those features, and focus on the rifle instead. You still pretend that you don't see how your claim that it is those features that make a rifle especially dangerous flies in the face of your comment that those features should not be looked at. In other words, you claim that, though it's the features that make the rifle especially dangerous, I should focus on the rifle, and not on the features that make it dangerous.
Quote:
What I propose we do about alcohol in regard to drunk drivers is ban its purchase by, and criminalize its supplying of, those convicted of the crime.

Yeah, and I propose following that reasoning regarding murderers. Lock them up.
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 09:39 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Truth is, I didn't say the military uses exclusively semiautomatic rifles. I said semiautomatic mode is one of the selective fire options. There is no dishonesty in that.

I claimed that semiautomatic rifles are not used by the military. You counterclaimed that they are. I asked you to prove it. Having realized too late that the military does not use semiautomatic rifles, you decided to make the claim that if select-fire rifles have a semiautomatic setting, then you can call a select-fire rifle a semiautomatic rifle. But that's just you being dishonest. The difference between the rifles used by the military and civilian rifles is select-fire.
Quote:

First tell me that you don't recall saying that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. Then tell me that you don't recall saying that it's also the combination of features that make a rifle dangerous. Then tell me that you don't recall me asking you to prove that claim. And then tell me that you don't recall failing to prove those claims, but that you could if you wanted to. Everyone, and their brother, knows that that's exactly what you've said. A better question would be: when have you not said that.
Quote:
what's hysterical is your obsessive deduction that an AR-15 is reducible to its pistol grip and flash suppressor and other features

No. It is literally true that you have said that the pistol-grip alone, and in combination with other features, make a rifle especially dangerous. And it is literally true that you have failed to support that claim. And it is literally true that, despite being shown repeatedly that you have provided nothing to prove your claim, you hysterically repeat it over and over again as if you believe that doing so will prove something. But the only thing you're proving is the extent to which denial can affect the perception of an individual obsessed with something.
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 10:00 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Says the gun psycho with the endless tail chasing about pistol grips on an AR-15.

I don't own an AR-15. I don't want an AR-15. You don't like having your failed claims exposed for what they are. And your reaction to that is to try to paint the one who has exposed you as a gun psycho. But everything you've posted is a self-portrait of a hysterical man obsessed with the features on a rifle that he calls especially dangerous, but cannot for the life of him show that to be true.
Quote:
As real as the reason and logic you claim to use in your actually unreasonable and illogical conclusion that lack of proof is proof of falsehood.

When you are attempting to make a case for banning something, then you'd better have something more than a complete lack of proof as justification for your claims. Otherwise, you're just another hysterical guy obsessed with a semiautomatic rifle because it looks scary.
Quote:
So, now the endless pages of my responses to this endless question of yours have all of a sudden disappeard?

You believe that you have explained how a pistol-grip alone, or in combination with a flash suppressor or bayonet-mount, etc., makes a rifle especially dangerous. However, I would cite your inability to produce that explanation as proof that you don't have one.
engineer

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 02:20 pm
@McGentrix,
Without addressing the pages of comments, I'll respond to the original posting. I support laws tracing gun purchases and tracking firearms. Police should be able to identify a weapon used in a crime and spot patterns in data that could reduce violent crime. I support a ban on assault rifles. I'll let the experts define what an assault rifle is, but all the shooting enthusiasts and hunters I know do not see any value either for protection or hunting of owning an assault rifle. I have heard they are fun to shoot, so go to licenced ranges to shoot their weapons under supervision for fun much like you go to an amusement park to ride a roller-coaster. I don't want to take away your hand gun or hunting rifle, nor do I care if you own one or not.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 03:20 pm
@roger,
A full automatic, such as a Thompson submachine gun, doesn't have semiautomatic fire capability, like say, an M4 carbine does. Calling it a semiautomatic weapon would be as accurate as it is descriptive.

In regard to selective fire rifles, saying that the military uses semiautomatic rifles since semiautomatic fire is an option on their rifles is descriptive and accurate, and not misleading. It doesn't speak to exclusivity of semiautomatic fire on these rifles.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 03:23 pm
@engineer,
The gun control resistors are going to pick apart your post for using the term "assault rifles" to describe "assault-style rifles."
engineer

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 03:28 pm
@InfraBlue,
That's why I leave it to experts. Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 04:37 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Whether through conscious deception or unconscious incomprehension, you've taken my words and defenstrated them and replaced them with your straw man argument.

No. It was through my conscious recognition of your very own words that I found that you have contradicted yourself and refuse to admit it. You claimed that it is those features make a rifle especially dangerous. Then you turned around and told me to forget about those features, and focus on the rifle instead. You still pretend that you don't see how your claim that it is those features that make a rifle especially dangerous flies in the face of your comment that those features should not be looked at. In other words, you claim that, though it's the features that make the rifle especially dangerous, I should focus on the rifle, and not on the features that make it dangerous.

So then it's plain and simple misapprehension on your part.

You're interpreting my assertions about pistol grips and combinations with other features to mean that I want assault weapons banned becasue of those pistol grips and combinations with features found on these weapons. That's not the case. I have an opinion about those features that you disagree with. Understood. Those features aren't why I want assault weapons banned. Those features describe assault weapons, i.e. those weapons whose only difference with their military issue counterparts is selective fire. You have a fixation on pistol grips and other features that describe these weapons that's addled your brain into thinking that picking apart these weapons into their constituent features demonsrates their innate harmlessness. That's flawed thinking.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
What I propose we do about alcohol in regard to drunk drivers is ban its purchase by, and criminalize its supplying of, those convicted of the crime.

Yeah, and I propose following that reasoning regarding murderers. Lock them up.

Ok.
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 04:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
In regard to selective fire rifles, saying that the military uses semiautomatic rifles since semiautomatic fire is an option on their rifles is descriptive and accurate, and not misleading.

Yes it is misleading, which means that you are being dishonest. Tell me, if the military version of the AR-15 is a semiautomatic rifle, where do I go to purchase one of those? Oh wait! I can't purchase one of those because it's an actual assault rifle. And it's an actual assault rifle because of its select-fire capability.

So let's see where you stand. Semiautomatic rifles are not used by the military. You claimed that they are. However, when asked to prove that claim, you decided that though the military doesn't use semiautomatic rifles, the rifles they do use have a semiautomatic setting, and that therefore you can call a select-fire rifle a semiautomatic rifle. But that's just you being desperate to not look like a fool for having declared that the military uses semiautomatic rifles before looking into it.

If a select-fire rifle is a semiautomatic rifle, then is a semiautomatic rifle a select-fire rifle? The answer is no. And the reason the answer is no is because a semiautomatic rifle is not a select-fire rifle. And as such, the military does not use them.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 05:07 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Truth is, I didn't say the military uses exclusively semiautomatic rifles. I said semiautomatic mode is one of the selective fire options. There is no dishonesty in that.

I claimed that semiautomatic rifles are not used by the military. You counterclaimed that they are. I asked you to prove it. Having realized too late that the military does not use semiautomatic rifles, you decided to make the claim that if select-fire rifles have a semiautomatic setting, then you can call a select-fire rifle a semiautomatic rifle. But that's just you being dishonest. The difference between the rifles used by the military and civilian rifles is select-fire.

There was no late realization of anything. I specified that semiautomatic fire was an option on selective fire weapons making a selective fire weapon a semiautomatic weapon. You pounced on the first sentence of my assertion in your juvenile gotcha games.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

First tell me that you don't recall saying that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous.

Now, why should I tell you that I don't recall saying that a pistol grip makes a rifle especially dangerous, and that its also a combination of features that make a rifle especially dangerous, and that I don't recall failing to prove those claims, but that I could if I wanted to when I clearly recall that I did other than to play along with your sophomoric gotcha games?

Glennn wrote:
Everyone, and their brother, knows that that's exactly what you've said. A better question would be: when have you not said that.

The question was to your assertion that you know better than I what my argument is about the rifles, not their individual features.

As I said in my earlier reply, you're interpreting my assertions about pistol grips and combinations with other features to mean that I want assault weapons banned becasue of those pistol grips and combinations with features found on these weapons. That's not the case. I have an opinion about those features that you disagree with. Understood. Those features aren't why I want assault weapons banned. Those features describe assault weapons, i.e. those weapons whose only difference with their military issue counterparts is selective fire. You have a fixation on pistol grips and other features that describe these weapons that's addled your brain into thinking that picking apart these weapons into their constituent features demonsrates their innate harmlessness. That's flawed thinking.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
what's hysterical is your obsessive deduction that an AR-15 is reducible to its pistol grip and flash suppressor and other features

No. It is literally true that you have said that the pistol-grip alone, and in combination with other features, make a rifle especially dangerous. And it is literally true that you have failed to support that claim. And it is literally true that, despite being shown repeatedly that you have provided nothing to prove your claim, you hysterically repeat it over and over again as if you believe that doing so will prove something. But the only thing you're proving is the extent to which denial can affect the perception of an individual obsessed with something.

So, you don't agree with my assertion about pistol grips and combinations with other features on a rifle, and I haven't provided proof of that assertion. Understood. Get over it.
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 05:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You're interpreting my assertions about pistol grips and combinations with other features to mean that I want assault weapons banned becasue of those pistol grips and combinations with features found on these weapons.

Gee, how else would I interpret your claim that a pistol-grip, either alone or in combination with other features makes a rifle especially dangerous? Are you now trying to make the point that you intended that claim to be neutral, or what?
Quote:
I have an opinion about those features that you disagree with.

You sure do. And so far that claim of yours remains simple conjecture on your part, owing to your complete lack of support for that claim.
Quote:
Those features describe assault weapons, i.e. those weapons whose only difference with their military issue counterparts is selective fire.

Wrong! Those features reflect nothing but a style, not a function. What you are pretending to be ignorant about is the fact that that the select-fire difference is THE factor that distinguishes an actual assault rifle from a civilian rifle. That's why the military doesn't use the civilian version.
Quote:
You have a fixation on pistol grips and other features that describe these weapons that's addled your brain

That's a self defeating argument, since you are the one exhibiting an obsession with those features that you say makes a rifle especially dangerous. I'm not saying that. Oralloy isn't saying that. No one is saying that but you. And you continue to believe that even in the face of your own failure to prove your claim. So the fixation falls squarely in your court.
Quote:
Ok.

Good. Then we agree that those who abuse alcohol and kill innocent people should be locked up. Now what should we do about the alcohol?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 05:18 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

I don't own an AR-15. I don't want an AR-15. You don't like having your failed claims exposed for what they are. And your reaction to that is to try to paint the one who has exposed you as a gun psycho. But everything you've posted is a self-portrait of a hysterical man obsessed with the features on a rifle that he calls especially dangerous, but cannot for the life of him show that to be true.

Projection much?

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

When you are attempting to make a case for banning something, then you'd better have something more than a complete lack of proof as justification for your claims. Otherwise, you're just another hysterical guy obsessed with a semiautomatic rifle because it looks scary.

Oh I have justification enough for my case for banning assault weapons. Your obsession with pistol grips and features is only a distraction.

Glenn} [quote wrote:
So, now the endless pages of my responses to this endless question of yours have all of a sudden disappeard?

You believe that you have explained how a pistol-grip alone, or in combination with a flash suppressor or bayonet-mount, etc., makes a rifle especially dangerous. However, I would cite your inability to produce that explanation as proof that you don't have one.
[/quote]
Chase that tail fido!
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 05:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
There was no late realization of anything. I specified that semiautomatic fire was an option on selective fire weapons making a selective fire weapon a semiautomatic weapon. You pounced on the first sentence of my assertion in your juvenile gotcha games.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in order to not look like a fool, you arbitrarily decided that there is no distinction between a select-fire rifle that the military does use, and a non-select-fire rifle that the military doesn't use. What I'm pouncing on is your refusal to acknowledge the difference. You are attempting to set up a win/win scenario for yourself by insisting that two different things are in fact the same thing. That amounts to a lie, but I'm not here to judge you. I'll leave that to everyone listening to you.
Quote:
So, you don't agree with my assertion about pistol grips and combinations with other features on a rifle, and I haven't provided proof of that assertion. Understood.

No. It's not that I disagree with your claims about pistol-grips, either alone or in combination with other features. It's that you have offered nothing whatsoever to support those claims. So I'm not disagreeing with you. There is nothing to disagree about. Your inability to prove your claim is where this began, and it's where it ends. You just don't know it yet.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 05:31 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
In regard to selective fire rifles, saying that the military uses semiautomatic rifles since semiautomatic fire is an option on their rifles is descriptive and accurate, and not misleading.

Yes it is misleading, which means that you are being dishonest.

It's misleading to someone with reading comprehension issues, perhaps.

Glennn wrote:

Tell me, if the military version of the AR-15 is a semiautomatic rifle, where do I go to purchase one of those? Oh wait! I can't purchase one of those because it's an actual assault rifle. And it's an actual assault rifle because of its select-fire capability.

Man, nothing gets by you, does it.

Glennn wrote:

So let's see where you stand. Semiautomatic rifles are not used by the military. You claimed that they are. However, when asked to prove that claim, you decided that though the military doesn't use semiautomatic rifles, the rifles they do use have a semiautomatic setting, and that therefore you can call a select-fire rifle a semiautomatic rifle. But that's just you being desperate to not look like a fool for having declared that the military uses semiautomatic rifles before looking into it.

The fool is the one who bases their straw man argument on their reading miscomprehension.

Glennn wrote:
If a select-fire rifle is a semiautomatic rifle, then is a semiautomatic rifle a select-fire rifle? The answer is no. And the reason the answer is no is because a semiautomatic rifle is not a select-fire rifle. And as such, the military does not use them.

Like I said, nothing gets by you, boy, does it?
Glennn

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 05:38 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Oh I have justification enough for my case for banning assault weapons.

So do I. I don't believe that people outside the military should own a select-fire rifle. And so they are banned. You, on the other hand, believe that your unproven claims concerning features making a rifle especially dangerous is enough justification for banning rifles that lack select-fire.
Quote:
Chase that tail fido!

Citing your inability to provide an explanation for your claims can hardly be characterized as me chasing my own tail. I'm just citing you inability to provide an explanation for your claims.