AIDS Documentary Channel 4

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:23 am
There has been much discussion on this forum about HIV/AIDS and the attitudes people have towards using condoms.
Im just letting people know that there is a programme on Channel 4 27th June at 8pm about Zambians living with Aids.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 986 • Replies: 5
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:59 am
I watched the documentary last night and was amazed at the similarities in attitude of AIDS/HIV.

they dont like to use condoms, they prefer what they call 'skin on skin'.One guy said he doesnt trust condoms(!!!!!!!)

They filmed a preacher giving a sermon to a room full of Zambians.He was preaching'I do not aproove of the use of condoms, all you need is Jesus'.(again, !!!!!!)

They have a club where they acted just the same as we do, getting drunk then pouncing.
One HIV+ guy was interviewed, he said 'I have a few drinks then I just go for any girl and have sex with her'.The interviewer asked 'arnt you concerned about passing the virus on?'The guy answered 'no, Ive got HIV so why would I care?'.

Some teenagers who have HIV have children just so they have somebody to look after them when they get ill.

214 people die each day because of AIDS related ilnesses.

There is a stigma over there as much as there is here.Some infected familieshave to wait to see if neighbours will help them out with food.

One mother said she was shy of having to tell her sons about condoms(!!!!!!)

Its amazing how they wont help themselves.They wont use condoms so they chances of getting HIV is high, then they wont help each other out when they get ill.

The social structure is completely screwed up, much like it is in the rest of the world!
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:14 am
Jesus Christ, MG.

That's horrible. But somehow, not surprising.

There are so many things going on that continue excelling HIV and AIDS that the public just doesn't see. We need a world-wide wake up call, similar to this, explaining what's going on to help prevent it. Concerts and television commercials aren't cutting it.
0 Replies

the devil

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:17 am
Zambia : 214 people die each day because of AIDS related ilnesses.

Iraq: 120,000 people dead in two years because of American Nazi foreign policy!
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:27 am
Wow, amazing how you posted completely irrelevant information merely to get your view point across! Horray!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:37 am
Your funny guys.

I understand war is awful.Id like to stop both but seeing as WE AS A WORLD can wipe out HIV/AIDS but not war, I feel it is something worth discussing.

Sanctuary- I dont know how old you are but I was growing up in the mid 80's when the 'Dont Die of Ignorance' campaign started, so Ive grown up knowing how to protect myself.
I have to lay claim to not always taking my own advice in my youth when i wasnt actually planning to do certain 'things' but since my 20's I have always used condoms.
It amazes me the attitude of some people my age and younger.I hear how some people dont use them or, the other day,a colleague saying he has been told he is the father of a baby, which shows unprotecetd sex happens(It turns out he wasnt the father)

All you have to do is use a condom, how difficult is that.We can wipe it out yet those horrid attitudes of some people keep it spreading.
0 Replies