Bought a $500 car yesterday!

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:41 pm
Just a quick brag about my "new" car... a 1986 Chevy Celebrity Station Wagon which hubby (a mechanic) bought yesterday for $500 cash.

And wow, what a car! I love it! The interior is PERFECT, I don't think anyone's touched the ashtray before I used it yesterday.

It has A/C, cruise control, 4 speakers for the radio, a 6-cylinder fuel-injected engine with overdrive transmission, power window & door locks, a 3rd fold-down seat in the back... and best of all, it was ACTUALLY owned by a 91-year-old woman and maintained by her son-in-law, who took excellent care of it.

The owner's manual is in the glove compartment with complete hand-written records for, believe it or not, every tank of gas purchased, every oil change, and every repair made from 1986-1994, plus we have a folder with receipts from all later work done on the car.

There are 91,000 original miles on it. After cleaning it today I was shocked by how nice it is, inside and out! Hubby says the motor has apparently not been worked on by "shade-tree mechanics," which is usually a bad thing.

It needs an oil change and a charge of the A/C. It drives perfectly straight without a shimmy and accelerates and shifts perfectly. Virtually everything works... the cigaret lighter, the blinkers, the heat and defrost, the wipers & washers, the power windows, the radio. It even has the fancy "delay" wipers.

BTW, we live in rural central Florida. We've been looking for a new vehicle for about 8 months now. In the past several weeks, DH has checked the newspaper ads every morning, since all the good cars sell within hours. He bought this one on the spot for cash (actually we're splitting the cost, about $300 each after tax, tag, etc.)

I LOVE OUR NEW CAR! Wish my digital camera was working so I could take pix!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,253 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:26 am
Niiiiice! Does it have the wood paneling on the outside? Actually sounds like a very clean car...91K miles is very low for a 20 year old pimp mobile.

You gotta put some pictures of that ride up.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:58 am
Oh Slappy, no self-respecting pimp would drive a station wagon!

It's not a "woody," too bad, I always liked those. The exterior is a weird color, a faded maroon, and the interior is deep maroon, very nice-looking.

We plan to paint the faded black bits around the windows 'cause they're the ugliest part of the body, all rusty and white. Can 'o spray paint or some enamel, and voila! Fixed! Such is the joy of a very cheap car.

We took the dogs for their first ride yesterday... flip down the back seats and they have the whole back end to walk around and even lay down. They can still see out the windows while laying down, so they approve!

DH changed the oil/filter yesterday, checked all the fluids & tires, so it's ready to go.

I'll be sure to post more if it, you know, bursts into flames this first week...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:33 am
Congratulations! What a find! That was an awesome deal. It's very rare to come across a car like that, owned and maintained by someone so meticulous. You are very lucky and I am so very happy for you!! Smile Smile
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
Thanks Lady J, we ARE lucky! But we've been looking for a very long time... finally our strategy was to check the newspaper every single day and see the (privately-owned) cars first thing in the morning, before anyone else bought them. SO much better & cheaper than going to a used car dealer.

Like a lot of money-saving tactics, it takes a lot longer to find what you want... had we needed a car TODAY (that is, 8 months ago), we would have had to buy something much more expensive. In this case, good things really do come to those who wait!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
That's a perfect car for Barrell Smashing Day.

When I was a senior in high school(in 94), my dad bought me a 1979 Ford Fairmount. It only had around 79K miles, and was also an "old lady's car." Perfect condition, inside was clean as hell, no dents, it was pretty crazy for such an ugly machine.

I decided the car needed some more "character." So on trash days, on my way home from school, I'd see an empty barrell in the street and gun it. Send those plastic bins flying in the air, pancaked. Good times.

Then in the winter, I'd drive directly at a snowbank, then at the last second gun the gas and turn the wheel, bringing the ass of the car around(rear wheel drive), thus side-swiping the snow bank.

The car wasn't dent free soon after me getting behind the wheel.

You've got a perfect car for Barrell Smashing Day. Enjoy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:25 am
Wow, I just thought of something. Barrell Smashing Day, when I was a kid, was also "Barrell Kicking Day," or "BKD."

My cousin and I had a couple of scooters, and we'd go riding down the sidewalks kicking barrells into the street.

I don't know what it is I had against barrells.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:56 am
AHHH, slappys trip down memory lane reminds me of my old 61 Buick BeastMaster. (Power everything, this car would give evrybody in it a happy ending)
We would drive it on the rt 13 down in Delaware and pick up a shopping cart and drive along with the shopping cart held on to the side of the car .W Ed get going about 60 and when wed see a phone booth wed let the cart go. We were really bad targeters . We only ever hit 1 , but boy those shopping carts, when you get em over 60, they get real stable and the wheels dont wobble and its like a wheeled missile.
Only with the BeastMaster though. That car wound up in a swamp off The Georgetown Road as I failed to makea turn. It cost me about 200 bucks to get it out and junked .
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:01 pm
That's f'n hilarious. You probably shattered the side of the phone booth.

Damn, wish I thought of that genius piece of vandalism back then. Now they arrest you for that crap.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:03 pm
The only $500 car I ever bought. Love that "grabber blue".

http://www.graphic-express.com/images2/maveri1.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:10 pm
slappy, it wasmerely an experiment on applied conservation of momentum.
cj.that is the second ugliest car made after the Plymouth Valiant.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 03:37 pm
Wow, fun car stories!

Slappy, our other car is practically identical to your barrel-smasher: a 1980 Chrysler LeBaron... looks an awful lot like a Ford Fairmont & is almost the same year.

Our LeBaron is an ugly car and about as uncool as you can get, but has a "can't-kill-it" motor which has set a record: the oil light has now been on for 2 years. Hubby finally disconnected the light, as opposed to our usual "stick a piece of electrical tape on it" method. It's also a rear-wheel drive; this new one is the first front-wheel drive car I've owned in.... well, a long time.

The Dodge Diplomat is also almost identical, and I should know 'cause our LeBaron has a white Dodge Diplomat front end after the previous owner hit a deer. Way cool, a tan boxy car with a white front end. Another car a pimp wouldn't be caught dead in.

Farmerman, a '61 Buick BeastMaster? Gads, I'll bet you wish you had it today! Heck, I wish I had it today.

My all-time favorite car was my 1972 2-door Impala, I loved that thing. It was HUGE. You could kill an old lady down the street just by opening the door, they were the biggest doors ever, I think. I got that critter up to 120 mph on Alligator Alley way back when, and not a shake or shimmy in it, just smooth as silk... ahhhh....

CJ, what is that, a Nova?

I never smashed anything with any car of mine, except for that one squirrel that kept running back and forth in front of the car when I was at 35 mph. It was him or me, with the traffic, and the squirrel lost. I figured it was a suicidal squirrel.

I mostly drive like an old lady, well, maybe a little faster. But I've never had a ticket in, let's see... 27 years of driving.

Our LeBaron has a VERY QUIET horn, like it's shy or something. It's broken. DH left it that way to keep me from beeping at people who did stupid things on the road. He said I'd have to make do with the finger. It's just not the same as a good hard honk... now I have a horn again! Ha!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 03:39 pm
Nah, I think the Pacer was the ugliest car ever. Remember that one? Big flat thing, looked like somebody pressed on the top too hard.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 03:43 pm
Recalling lots of car-repair stories from hubby's days as an auto mechanic... My favorite one is the old lady, when he was working at a dealer. Lotsa cars at a dealer are not broken, just "a rattle in the dash every other Tuesday at midnight going 53 mph..."

So this old lady said the horn was broken. Hubby checked it, worked fine. ("Yah mean, THIS HORN?") When the lady came to pick it up she still could not beep the horn.... because she didn't have the strength in her arms to press it.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:15 am
farmerman wrote:
slappy, it wasmerely an experiment on applied conservation of momentum.
cj.that is the second ugliest car made after the Plymouth Valiant.

Oh, that's a Maverick, isn't it?

Remember the AMC Matador? Now that was an ugly car.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 06:45 am
AMC made a car with a huuuge front window. and a hood shape that, if opened just right, would smash the windshield.
0 Replies

peaches4713

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 12:33 pm
please help
Can someone help me find a a 97 honda for $500 I would be greatly appreciated, its one of my dream cars

I f you can help please respond A.S.A.P thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 03:00 pm
You sure do have lofty dreams, to one day own a 97 Honda. Maybe some day you will also own a red shirt.
0 Replies

peaches4713

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:13 pm
re
yup but it can happen unlike some people i have hope Cool
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:46 am
Lucky you!
My husband bought me a car nearly a year ago for a lot more than that.
I hated it on first sight, refused to ride it for six months, was thinking about changing it, and then agreed to ride it for two years, until it is decided whether we will stay in Germany or move to the States for three years.
After that I will get the car I like!

[size=7](hopefully)[/size]
0 Replies