NBC TV a new low?

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:21 pm
I just got home, flopped on my couch and flipped on the TV. No cable or satellite here, so I have about 6 channels to chose from (it saves time, I don't have to flip through hundreds to know there is nothing on). I pop on to NBC and there is Katie Couric interviewing some woman who looks familiar. Oh yes, the woman who pretended she was kidnapped so she would miss her wedding day. This is worth an hour of TV!? Isn't there anything else going on in the world that might be more important? This is my vote for the worst use of television time in my recent memory - any other suggestions?

(by the way, I used to think the OJ Bronco "chase" was the worst, but now I think this interview trumps even that)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,320 • Replies: 13
No top replies

edithdoll

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:28 pm
Hi Green Witch:
Unfortunately I read on the wires, "the runaway bride" as she is now known is shopping a movie deal. So she is making the rounds re: interviewing and promoting. I reallly believe in cases such as these, where there was such a large, expensive search and resources which very well could have been used elsewhere on real unfortunate situations, the perpetrators of these hoaxes should have to pay back the town/county for the expense of the search, do their sentence of community service, and if they sell their story via book or movie, TV deal--then like many prisoners/serial killers--they should not be able to profit from it. All profits, royalties et al. Should go to charity, the county hospital, homeless shelters, daycare centers, soup kitchens, et al.
Just my opinion here.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:30 pm
Sorry I didn't really answer your question before --I'll think about it and see what I consider to be the worst event on TV lately. Sigh...there are always so many.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:38 pm
Gee, you don't think she's smarter than anyone suspected, examined legal cases for such a ruse and staged the whole thing to make money on a book and movie deal? Pshaw.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:50 pm
I have lost all respect for Katie Couric. This "runaway bride" should be a little human interest story on page 8 of the newspaper. My six year old niece could think of a better way to use up an hour of TV.

Edithdoll. It would be nice to make such interviews into a charity event. People could phone in money to help find missing children. By the way Edithdoll, did you get your moniker from a children's book? I seem to recall an children's story about a lonely doll with that name.

Lightwizard - I do not see a single spark of intelligence in this woman. I don't think she could plot her way around paper bag.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:29 am
How about "I want to be a Hilton"? That was on last night too. Great TV night. Luckily I can always watch the Food Network - I love to cook.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:42 am
I was, of course, being facetious. Also, of course, anything is possible. I am dismayed that Couric would devote an hour to this drivel, or that anyone would consider publishing a book or making a movie but that's likely represents the level of mentality of the American public.

There's no underestimating the intelligence of the American public." -- H. L. Mencken
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:03 am
It's a courtesy--not a requirement--to inform others of your whereabouts so they don't worry. Runaway Bride had no legal obligation to tell anyone that she had a case of "cold feet" and was leaving. The fact that her community spent money searching for her is the community's problem, not hers.

She did, however, give a false report to police authorities and alleged that she was kidnapped when she wasn't. She is criminally liable for the false report--but she's NOT LIABLE to reimburse the community for the search. Where's the law that says a FREE INDIVIDUAL has to answer to the community for his/her whereabouts?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:21 am
Who cares? I don't. It's another sticking the public's nose in someone's private business now, truly not even remotely as signficant as Terry Schaivo, and I thought that was governmental and journalistic nosiness without precedent. I'm checking out of this trivial soap opera -- Couric at this very minute is interviewing the dopey people involved and it's excrutiatingly boring.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:50 pm
Hi Greenwitch.
On a quick note, you are right! My screen name is based on Edith, the doll from The Lonely Doll book by Dare Wright. Still haven't decided my lowest low yet...
: )
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:56 pm
I have to read that book again. I remember really loving it as a child.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:30 am
Runaway Bride=Satan

Just look at her eyes.

The worst is her emasculated fiance who doesn't understand that, hmmm, maybe the nutbitch who ditches out on you three days before the wedding and then blames it on a 40yr old Hispanic and then tries to get sympathy by saying "I was afaid I couldn't be the perfect bride," isn't exaclty "marriage material." He's still with her.

That guy definitely has no penis.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:55 am
I don't think the runaway bride wanted to be the center of national attention when she split. I just think she suffered an increasing sense of dread and finally it spilled over into panic. 600 people at the wedding.

The filing a false police report part is illegal, but look at it this way.

She responded to a crisis phone number in Alberquerque which was connected to the police department. At that point she was out of options and money. The police who interviewed her saw she was distraught. It speaks volumes that the Alburquerque police were in her corner the most.

If we come down hard on her, we send the message to similar distraught people who fled and who are now out of options that they will throw the book at them if they turn themselves in. I am glad she got off lightly-now other people who took off and don't know what to do will think that the thing to do is call the crisis hotline.

I think it is in the interests of society that people who feel compelled to flee get encouraged to turn themselves in and they will get sympathetic treatment.

I think her panic was genuine. It was the media's fault this turned into a nationwide story. I must admit, I 'm not too happy with the idea of her making money off this, after it is all over. But while it was happening, I do believe she was panicked and only wanted to get away.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:00 am
That being said, I think prhaps the stupidest thing I have seen on TV lately is all those reporters standing out in the middle of Hurricane Dennis. Just what is that supposed to prove?

Can't they just film the hurricane through the window of a sturdy building? What is the point of seeing the reporter out in the middle of the wind and driving rain?

Does the TV industry think Americans don't have a grasp of the meaning of the word, "hurricane"? We need illustration?
0 Replies