A shocking new car..

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:32 pm
Are you ready for the automobile shock of your life?
Well, it's coming, ready or not. It's been on the market in Europe for over seven years and is pretty well received.

It's called a Smart car. NO kidding. That's the name. Ford, Dodge,
Chevrolet, Smart Car, Buick, Camry.

The Smart Car is 8' 2.5" long. It offers two engines. A three cylinder gas, turbo 60 hp, automatic or 6 speed manual. 65 mpg. The other is a four cylinder diesel designed and made by Mercedes. Couldn't find mileage for the diesel.

This mini two seater is roomy. I rode in one. It has niceties; Options include A/C, power windows, power doorlocks, etc.

The safety/security:
Tridion hemispherical, steel safety shell.
Airbags
Electronic Stabilization Program
Skid control
ABS
Remote Central locking.

When I rode in it, I was surprised by the ride, the lack of of feeling vulnerable and the spaciousness for two persons. The fit and finish is remarkable. And, if there ever was a head turner of a car, this is the tops.

Everyone is guessing whether they'll sell in the US. I mean will there be a market for them. The US dealers already have 750 million in orders.
They are used in Paris for delivering pizzas. They can park vertical to the curb. I've been on French buses on the expressway going about 60-65 and watched Smart Cars pass us.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,742 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:57 pm
BF, YOu are talking about those toy cars that's so small it looks like a motorcycle with a cover. Wink Saw them on my last visit to Europe in April-May. I was thinking they would be perfect for the missus grocery shopping 'car.'
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:48 pm
The word http://www.einfach-autos.de/hersteller/logos/smart.jpg is a combination of Swatch, Mercedes and art.
(It was actually produced by Daimler-Chrysler [Mercedes] and SMH [producer of e.g. Swatch watches].
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:33 am
I've seen them while on business in Europe. I would love it if I could drive something that efficient here and be safe. However, driving a tiny car like that while surrounded by monster SUV's doesn't appeal to me--I suspect the safety issue may present one barrier to the Smart Car's acceptance in the U.S. (I believe there is a much higher proportion of SUV's/large vehicles here than in Europe, presumably due to our relatively cheap gas prices)
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:09 am
Of primary importance to consumers, especially in such a small vehicle, is safety. Even though vehicles have downsized over the years, a collision with a full-sized
sports utility vehicle would suggest particular peril for a smart's occupants. Perhaps surprisingly, the smart has excelled in crash tests (both in-house and independent).

Tests have included a frontal crash at 65 km/h against a deformable barrier, rear-end crash at 55 km/h, side crash at 50 km/h and car-to-car crashes (head-on and offset) between the smart and an upper standard-size car (Mercedes-Benz E-Class and S-Class). According to the Mercedes Car Group, in more than 50 crash tests, the smart provided greater occupant safety than in other small cars.

In addition to the strong, steel, safety cell, that forms the structural foundation of the smart, you get standard safety belt pre-tensioners, driver and passenger airbags and a range of sophisticated electronic aids, including anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, traction control, hydraulic brake assist and electronic brake force distribution.

It's no toy, that's for sure
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:11 am
lab rat wrote:
, driving a tiny car like that while surrounded by monster SUV's doesn't appeal to me-

It's not the SUV's its the 18 wheel tractortrailers and the jacked up pickup trucks that would keep me from buying one. With the former you'd just be a spot on their bumper.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:16 am
Okay, so I guess no ones gonna post a pic for us?
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:29 am
http://www.kulemann.de/smart.jpg

http://www.unsersmart.de/images/Smart/geschenk/David%20und%20Goliat.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:33 am
LOL! Thanks, ul, but I think I'm sorry I asked now. Almost looks like they gave a buzz-cut to a VW Beetle.

And, the groceries go.... where?
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:38 am
The billboards in Europe advrtising the Smart Car say
"For two passengers and one grocery bag."
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
It is a very nice city car.
Enough room for my shopping.
But maybe I don't buy large quantities.
If I shop in the US the volume of my groceries seem so much larger.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:31 am
The groceries sits on the passenger side seat/floor. LOL Just don't buy too much!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:53 am
Well, this one isn't only quite fast (138 miles/hour top speed) but although has a bit more space for groceries :wink:

http://www.smart.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/root/-/-/smart/images/carconfigurator/imagedb/2005/def/def/mff/assets/modelfinder/45403411_large.jpg
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:19 pm
Acquiunc, and others,
It seems to me that a Hummer, or any large car would suffer the same consequences hitting a 24 wheeler.
The hummer making a large spot on the bumper.

The Smart car frame is like a racing car's. It's a shell or cage made of steel (Tridion).

The Smart car has passed numrous crash tests.
0 Replies