If slavery were legal, would you own slaves?

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 11:51 pm
This question originated in the astute mind of Frank Apisa in a different thread. See http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31146&start=840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= He asked if the reference to slavery in the Bible book of Leviticus was really put there under inspiration from God. After many posts back and forth, I am of the opinion that perhaps there should be a new thread.

If slavery were legal in your country, would you own a slave?

Could you justify it according to your religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,858 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:18 am
This is not soley a religious issue, and to have posted it here is simple pandering, whether intentional or not. Slavery is an issue which can easily be addressed without the least reference to religion, and properly ought to be, given the appalling track record of religion in regard to slavery.

Therefore, i will let Mr. Lincoln answer for me in an ideological sense, without reference to religion:

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.

-- Abraham Lincoln
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 07:18 am
What do you do when your slave announces, "No, I won't obey."?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 07:25 am
BBB
Why would I need slaves when I had children of my own?

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:12 am
I get the reference to religion / slavery/ it's in the bible so it must be okay.

But, even as a Christian I would not own anyone. I don't even really consider my children as "mine" as far as ownership. I see them as entrusted to my care until they are able to make their own way.

That doesn't stop me from asking them to help or do certain chores, but I wouldnt consider that slavery.

(There are days I'm sure they would argue with that.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
Setanta wrote:
This is not soley a religious issue, and to have posted it here is simple pandering, whether intentional or not. Slavery is an issue which can easily be addressed without the least reference to religion, and properly ought to be, given the appalling track record of religion in regard to slavery.

Therefore, i will let Mr. Lincoln answer for me in an ideological sense, without reference to religion:

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.

-- Abraham Lincoln
Thank you for Mr. Lincoln's quote. You have given a fine answer based on your belief system, exactly what I am asking for.

The very idea of slavery as we know and have read about is abhorrent. Why then was slavery prohibition not part of the bible's law? Could there be more to it?

We were having a fine discussion on the issue in the thread noted above. My only reason for posting here was to involve others in the discussion.

I see that has happened.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:59 am
If whacking off James and his giant peaches were suddenly culturally acceptable, it does not mean one ought to do it, necessarily.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:04 am
edgarblythe wrote:
If whacking off James and his giant peaches were suddenly culturally acceptable, it does not mean one ought to do it, necessarily.
GASP!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
I can't believe I double posted again. AAARGH! I've been running around Southern California for two weeks, using only my laptop, connecting to who knows what ISP. Can I use that as an excuse? Embarrassed
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:24 pm
slavery wouldn't be legal - for the same reason we would not own slaves.

and if we all (or majority) were of the sort who wanted to own slaves, slavery would be legal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:33 pm
I already do; my wife. She works to allow me to travel the world.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I already do; my wife. She works to allow me to travel the world.
Precisely why I won't let my wife read this thread. I'm on the coast starlight right now, going back to the Northwest from Southern California. My first granddaughter, Kailani, waited until 4 PM yesterday to make her appearance, a whole day after my wife and I left San Diego. Now we have an excuse to come back, of course.

My connection by air card is intermittent; so I may be off line from time to time. I know you will miss me. Laughing

But I do love this forum!
0 Replies

alfass21

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:02 pm
do u know da definition of a slave, u should be bold enough to ask dis kinda question
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:14 pm
neo does censorship and wife beating.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:21 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo does censorship and wife beating.
I censor the TV listings or my wife would watch every birthing program in every waking hour. I have to beat her to the newspaper every morning by turning on the coffee pot to divert her attention.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:09 am
You are a "control freak" and your wife a slave in every meaning of the word.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:18 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
You are a "control freak" and your wife a slave in every meaning of the word.
Yeah, but she wins most of the time. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:25 am
I probably don't have enough money to own slaves. But if I did, I would probably buy them only in order to give them their freedom.

Of course, I am assuming with 21st C mores that they would want their freedom. I'm sure that after the US Civil War (or after any mass emancipation) many freed slaves worried a great deal about where their next meal was coming from, when their former owners no longer had that 'obligation'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
It is also pertinent to note that the collapse of the plantation system left a lot of former slave owners wondering where their next meal was coming from. Picture Vivien Leigh . . .

As God is my witness, i will never go hundry again!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
I don't right now, but this is why I'm interested in dating Japanese women.
0 Replies