If slavery were legal, would you own slaves?

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
Mail order brides (plural). It's the way to go.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:40 am
How do you keep 'em apart, Boss?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:42 am
With a crowbar?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

Ah, the crew is hot Today ! ! !
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
The mail order brides are Greek men and boys?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:48 am
See what i mean?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:51 am
neologist wrote:
Thank you for Mr. Lincoln' quote. You have given a fine answer based on your belief system, exactly what I am asking for.

Note that Lincoln's quote is based on the Biblical golden rule.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:02 am
Gargamel wrote:
Mail order brides (plural). It's the way to go.

That's what one would think. Until Lena from Finland shows up at your door, hot as hell. Cooks for you, does it all for 2 years then divorces you and takes all your hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Now you're not longer a hundredaire.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:06 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
neologist wrote:
Thank you for Mr. Lincoln' quote. You have given a fine answer based on your belief system, exactly what I am asking for.

Note that Lincoln's quote is based on the Biblical golden rule.
The golden rule, as expressed in the bible, was stated by Jesus. Why then did Jesus give several parables with references to slavery in which the institution was treated honorably? (See Matthew 24: 45-47, and others)

I've posted elsewhere that slavery was (according to the bible) not part of God's purpose. So, why was it tolerated and not explicitly proscribed?

BTW, how do you do that with your avatar? Question And signature?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:12 am
Synonymph wrote:
The mail order brides are Greek men and boys?

There's nothing like watching Niko and Petrakis wrestle in my backyard on a hot summer day like today. They wear loincloths. I recline in my beach chair and eat staggering amounts of roast lamb.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:15 am
Mmmmmmmmm . . . roast lamb . . .

Is it true the Greek boy doesn't want to emigrate because he doesn't want to leave his brother's behind?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:34 am
Setanta wrote:
Mmmmmmmmm . . . roast lamb . . .

Is it true the Greek boy doesn't want to emigrate because he doesn't want to leave his brother's behind?
First of all, lamb tastes like wet dog ears. What would Miss Cleo think?

Secondly, does the Greek stereotype still apply? Or is it more widespread?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
(too afraid to ask Neologist exactly how he knows what wet dog ear tastes like... so i won't)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:06 pm
I once did a very difficult internship on an organic farm. At one point I was made "field manager" which basically meant I was allowed to boss around the other interns. I really related to those old southerners who went to war to to keep their slaves. On a really hot, humid day with the bugs flying around your head there is something wonderful about pointing your finger at other people and saying "you guys pick the carrots, I'm going back to main house to whip up some iced tea". But in the big picture, I have too many Jewish guilt genes to actually covet slaves - however, illegal immigrants might be OK...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
This is not soley a religious issue, and to have posted it here is simple pandering, whether intentional or not. Slavery is an issue which can easily be addressed without the least reference to religion, and properly ought to be, given the appalling track record of religion in regard to slavery.

Therefore, i will let Mr. Lincoln answer for me in an ideological sense, without reference to religion:

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.

-- Abraham Lincoln

Bravo! *clapping*
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:18 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
(too afraid to ask Neologist exactly how he knows what wet dog ear tastes like... so i won't)
Well! Er, . . . ah. . . Embarrassed
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:43 pm
Neologist - I think your avatar could trigger a seizure in someone who was sensitive to such things.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:47 pm
neologist wrote:
First of all, lamb tastes like wet dog ears. What would Miss Cleo think?

If wet dog ears taste like lamb, I know two dogs who'd better hide under the sofa after the next rain storm.

and Miss Cleo loves loves loves loves lamb.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:09 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Neologist - I think your avatar could trigger a seizure in someone who was sensitive to such things.
Should I change it?http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/taz.gif

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/madcowl.gif
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:43 pm
Up to you, but I know flashing lights can be a problem for some folks - I don't know about twirling devils or mad cows.
0 Replies