They just don't write 'em like that any more.

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
LTX--do you listen to Laura Cantrell's "Radio Thrift Shop" on Saturday on WFMU? I just discoved her music, and I'm now listening to her show via the web. It's fantastic!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:10 pm
Our local free rag "The Independent Weekly" (Durham, NC) is pretty good. The NYT book review and the occasional magazine review. I cut out last years summer reading list from the Independent and really meant to buy 4 or 5 of the books they listed, but still haven't gotten around to it yet.
Life does have a habit of getting in the way sometimes.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:15 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
LTX--do you listen to Laura Cantrell's "Radio Thrift Shop" on Saturday on WFMU? I just discoved her music, and I'm now listening to her show via the web. It's fantastic!

I love her show. I knew her from her show first, and then discovered her music. I also love Irwin's show on Wednesday as well as station manager Ken's show. In fact there are few occasions where I have to change to something else...They all entertain me in one way or another.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:30 pm
I read voraciously. It might as well be books, or I'll be grabbing cereal boxes. As a person who is pathologically poor at returning library books, I haunt, instead, used book stores. Two blocks down from our studio is a place called Bookleggers. (Damn, I am going to have to break down and buy one of their homely sweatshirts before I leave this town.) It is owned by two literarily discerning women with an apparent lot of interests, and I find the place much more fascinating than, say, Borders. They have some display shelving where they feature various goodies with little yellow stickies and extremely short reviews. The books in the store range from classic to really new, and I buy for what catches my eye, of any era.

On music, I had an unfortunate episode of house remodelling back in the early nineties, months, really, with top 100 rock on all day long. Now I can hardly bear to hear old favorites without cringing. And the old more interesting albums don't seem to come on any rock station I've tuned in to for a while. Think of me as sort of plugged up about the time the Eagles showed up.

So... I have been exploring classical and socalled world music (I already liked latin jazz), and some of our local stations who foray around various musical modes. I will miss Khum here, which plays a pretty eclectic mix, as well as our local public broadcast station from Humboldt State University, where my business partner's husband does a few turns on the mic re jazz and classical - but I also like other programs.

I miss the Brazilian hour back at KCRW in Santa Monica...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:43 pm
We have a similar musty smelling bookstore run by an English Prof at U of Penn. HE does this for a weekend thing and he gathers books that interest him. (Not a great business plan) Ive gotten all of Stephen Goulds collecions of essays and a number of great art books on lives of specific artists.
I got one on Bacon last month or so and it was published in 2001. I think somebody got weirded out by Bacon so they ditched the book.
Whenever we buy old books, we store them in a large airtite box out in my workshop and I pump in ethylene chloride. (I know, I know, but its really the only way to assure that all life is extinguished from critters to black mold)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:56 pm
Hmm, I wouldn't mind knowing more how you do that.

and, er, is that professor single, older, and heterosexual? Sounds like a lovely business plan to me..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:08 pm
Yes, patio. A Long Day's Journey into Night:

Born in a gd hotel room and dying in a gd hotel room.

resilient to the end.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 09:05 pm
osso, you can buy ethylene chloride, its also called 12 dichlorethane and dichlorethylene. (No numbers on the dichlorethylene cuz there is a 1,1 dichlorethylene that is totally diff and more toxic) This stuff can be bought at most hot rod shops (its an antiknock gent0 or a MAJOR paint store (its a fumigant for mold inhibiting paints and plasters).
You must not sit around sniffing it cause its sweet smelling and mildly poisonous (probly a carcinogen too but I dont know without asking or looking up on an MSDS list)

My bookshop owner friend is about 69 and is not married. Hes divorced. When I said about a bad business plan I was serious. The crap I learned at an exec school at Wharton was
in selling, think like a dogfood manufacturer, and remember to "feed the dogfood to the dog the way the dog likes to eat his dogfood" Never stock up on stuff that interests you only. Now Wharton has a fairly decent reputation for business
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:20 pm
Farmer, I didn't really mean that about was he available, but I have sympathy for that friend of yours.

So, what is the deal, you have a box with a closeable hole in the side and insert a tube? (Ignert here).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:36 pm
Interesting topic. My choices are not always the most popular. When I praise Henry Miller, I am met with silence. Philip Wylie- -"I used to read him in college." Ulysses- -some like, some curse. To me, Dickens is the best writer I have read. I also love Stienbeck (except for Travels With Charley and Tortilla Flat). I love the old Ray Bradbury, but didn't like some of his new stuff. Grisham begins to annoy me about the middle of the story. I don't care if a writer is new or old, although the authors of the classics are generally better writers than present ones.
0 Replies