Fungus Amongus

Pitter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
I have a counter that has a sealed space about 2"x30"x5' between the bottom of the drawers and the floor that is roiling with fungus. I know because it wreaks. The house is in a very high humidity area (lowest reading is 75%)and we have managed to control all the fungus (serious!) everywhere else by applying a thick layer of liquid furniture wax. The cabinitry of the counter is made of faced plywood but the underside of the panel sealing the space below is raw plywood and we have found this surface to be highly vulnerable (a great fungus host) elsewhere. What I'm wondering is if there exists anything that I could inject through a drilled hole that would kill it so as not to have to rip the whole cabinet structure out. Any ideas?

By the way we tried applying liquid bleach the first couple of times around as advised here in A2K but the key word there is "liquid" and new fungus just grew on the bleach moistened surfaces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 799 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
You could try a borax solution but if the bleach didn't kill it I don't know if borax will work much better.

The fungs has probably gotten in between the plys and the only way to get rid of it if it has is to pull the thing apart and replace the wood with someting less prone to hosting fungus.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:24 pm
Off subject a little, but if you do, use the same finish on the underside of the wood as on the visible side. Moisture is still going to move through the finish, but this will even out the rate of change of moisture content and discourage warpage.
0 Replies