Marriage - I am ignorant and need a history lesson.

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:52 am
I have been contemplating the gay marriage issue. Here is my thoughts:

Marriage is and has been a religious institution for 2,000 years. Civil Unions have always been a, well, civil (thus governmental) affair for a long time.

How can we, in our lows, ban a concept that is essentially not our jurisdiction? I can see how we could vote that certian people would not be allowed into civil unions - but how can we even go so far as to say that certain groups of people, that have not been explicitly denied civil unions are not allowed them?

Furthermore, marriage seems to be a matter of the church - how can we deny something that is not a government function.

Or is it that marriage actually is mostly a civil concept and thus can be regulated?

What is the history of marriage - and how does that play into this question?

I fell like banning marriage is a non sequiter. Am I just drunk?

TF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,914 • Replies: 22
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:59 am
We made up marriage.
We made up religion.
I have a serious problem understanding how one person can have power over another especially when it come to a persons life re sexuality/who they want to spend the rest of their life with!!!

i think some people are against it as thye dont see why gay couple should benefit from any financial gain ie family allowance.Then again how are they gon ahve a family if the are gay, then the whole adoption issue comes into play etc.
0 Replies

pinchehoto

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 01:28 pm
Re: Marriage - I am ignorant and need a history lesson.
thethinkfactory wrote:
I have been contemplating the gay marriage issue. Here is my thoughts:

Marriage is and has been a religious institution for 2,000 years. Civil Unions have always been a, well, civil (thus governmental) affair for a long time.

How can we, in our lows, ban a concept that is essentially not our jurisdiction? I can see how we could vote that certian people would not be allowed into civil unions - but how can we even go so far as to say that certain groups of people, that have not been explicitly denied civil unions are not allowed them?

Furthermore, marriage seems to be a matter of the church - how can we deny something that is not a government function.

Or is it that marriage actually is mostly a civil concept and thus can be regulated?

What is the history of marriage - and how does that play into this question?

I fell like banning marriage is a non sequiter. Am I just drunk?

TF

"How can we, in our laws, ban a concept that is essentially not our jurisdiction?"- I don't know, but we certainly banned polygamy. I don't think we can marry our siblings or our pets either.

"I can see how we could vote that certian people would not be allowed into civil unions - but how can we even go so far as to say that certain groups of people, that have not been explicitly denied civil unions are not allowed them?" Well, we can vote any silly thing we want to. Good policy depends upon wise voters. The question is **should** the govt be a respector and governor of those unions? Why can't three people get married? Or more? Think about how stable can a family be with "back-up" parents. What business does the government have in dictating my family's structure? Perhaps the government should re-write itself to respect and govern the **individual** and leave the consensual relationships alone. But that's just the Laissez-faire capitalist in me.

"What is the history of marriage - and how does that play into this question?"
History of marriage? Business deals between men. Sell the reproductive rights of your daughter to the highest bidder. This notion of love and romance being the foundation of a family is fairly recent. Love and romance was practiced on the side. Not exactly what the "family values" crowd would appreciate.

"Am I just drunk?"
Yes. And where was my invite, sucka?!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
I think it's a civil matter more than a religious matter. I mean, marriage exists in societies from the West to the far east, so I don't quite see how it can be purely religious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
Marriage as a civil institution is designed to secure and protect right in property. Throughout the most of the history of European people (in which i include those who colonized North and South America), the majority of reproductive couples were not married--they had no property worth securing and protecting in the eyes of society and in their own estimation. Demographic statistics from records keeping in England, where social statistics have been compiled for a longer period than any other place show that even as late as the era of the Great War, the majority of reproductive couples were not married.

Gay couples want to marry for precisely the same reasons, to secure right in property, to protect right in property, and to assure access to their loved ones who are ill or incarcerated. The Religious Right, Inc., goes wild-eyed and froths at the mouth over this one because they hate and despise homosexuals, and their credo does not allow them to see the humanity of those who are different from them. No other single issue of the day displays the narrow-minded hatefulness of reactionary christians more clearly.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
...Demographic statistics from records keeping in England, where social statistics have been compiled for a longer period than any other place show that even as late as the era of the Great War, the majority of reproductive couples were not married...

Wow. This nearly knocked me off my chair. Amazing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:14 pm
Where there was no property, George, or at least none worth drawing the attention of established power, no one cared who was or was not married (EDIT: that is to say, who was or was not married among the propertyless). The United States is the first nation in history in which marriage of reproductive couples became common--it is also the first nation in history in which a large proportion of the population have been property owners.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:24 pm
Setanta,

Thank you....I never really thought about the history of marriage much before and the actual benefits of it, but what you say makes such perfect sense. I appreciate your knowledge very much. Smile
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
I agree Lady J. This perspective was what I was missing.

This debate, then, IS a civil thing.

You know what scares me the most - we live in a democracy and the majority just might be ass hats and vote for homsexuals to not have rights.

TF
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:17 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
I agree Lady J. This perspective was what I was missing.

This debate, then, IS a civil thing.

There is certianly a civil component to marriage but is that the only aspect? Some people will come into the debate looking at it from the civil side only but that doesn't mean that the entire issue is only a civil issue.

Marriage is, in itself a marrige of both religious practice and civil law. The debate, IMO, is about the "divorce" of the two and the fight is about which side ends up with a word.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:31 am
setanta

I agree with you. Marriage, as a civil contract, is designed to protect and secure the property, specially in it's transmission. And transmission of property means reproduction, a next generation of owners. For centuries, sons conceived out of matrimony had no successional rights.

But we must not forget the religious dimension of marriage. As we see in Fishin' reply, that dimension is still alive. And here, also, marriage is seen as the only acceptable way of assuring reproduction.
Gays cannot have children, within a gay relation.

I think the greatest opposition to gay marriage is not a civil one - today, there is no reason to refuse marriage to two people who live together, in a common economy - but religious.
It is the problem, as in many other areas of society, of the intrusion of religion in civil institutions, giving them a "sacred nature" they never had before. And, since I have little sympathy for religion, that intrusion is very dangerous, and still present. More, perhaps, than 30 years ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:40 am
val wrote:
setanta

I agree with you. Marriage, as a civil contract, is designed to protect and secure the property, specially in it's transmission. And transmission of property means reproduction, a next generation of owners. For centuries, sons conceived out of matrimony had no successional rights.

No, i have only said that its purpose is to secure and protect rights in property. You are saying that it is designed "specially [sic] in it's [sic] transmission." Although certainly many who have married hope to reproduce, it is not an automatic assumption that this is the purpose of the contract--and that's what it is, a contract. Mary Tudor, known to history as "Bloody Mary," was married to King Phillip of Spain by proxy--they never met. Kind of hard to reproduce under the circumstances. Charles Stuart, the second English king of that name, married Catherine of Braganza, the Portugese Infanta, thereby securing rights in property to the North African city of Tangiers, which the English held for quite a long time. Their union produced no children, although Charles sired quite an array of royal bastards. No one suggested for a moment that Catherine was in breach of contract for failing to produce an heir. Reproduction is not necessary to the transmission of property either--the examples of such marriages are far too numerous to mention here.

Quote:
But we must not forget the religious dimension of marriage. As we see in Fishin' reply, that dimension is still alive. And here, also, marriage is seen as the only acceptable way of assuring reproduction.
Gays cannot have children, within a gay relation.

That you wish to claim there is an important religious dimension to this civil contract does not surprise me--but it does not make it so. Gay couples can indeed foster and adopt children. That they do not ordinarily reproduce by a heterosexual union does not preclude sperm donors and surrogate mothers--and both of those avenues to having children had been successfully used by gay couples repeatedly.

Quote:
I think the greatest opposition to gay marriage is not a civil one - today, there is no reason to refuse marriage to two people who live together, in a common economy - but religious.
It is the problem, as in many other areas of society, of the intrusion of religion in civil institutions, giving them a "sacred nature" they never had before. And, since I have little sympathy for religion, that intrusion is very dangerous, and still present. More, perhaps, than 30 years ago.

This is the only part of your post which makes sense. I find it odd that you advance the religious arguments for marriage as sacrament and not simply civil contract, and then reverse yourself so completely. Why you do so is beyond my ken. It is also of little interest to me, as this last passage makes me ask why you have replied to what i have written. You could have easily expressed your point of view without dragging me into it.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:08 am
Set -

I think you have misread the tone above.

I had said that this argument seems to be mostly a civil one. It seems to be the case that if were not, we would simply ensure that our places of worship would not allow marriage between people of the same sex.

They are simply arguing that if we focus merely on the civil side we are forgetting a major portion of the equasion. They are not arguing for anything other than a reminder that we have forgotten a major portion.

I think, then, if the fact of the matter is that we are trying to legislate our religious convictions with out civil matters - we are going about this wrong. There is no reason to do so, simply outlaw it in your place of worship and your sphere of influence has been taken care of.

I am wondering if you think we can ignore the religious aspect outright?

TF
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
This is the same sort of muddled thinking which leads to a contention that fairness and balance in education would require the introduction of "intelligent design" into science curricula. Marriage is a civil institution regulated by the state in order to secure and protect rights in property. The state does not require any sacramental trappings for the validation of marriage. The state does not require proof that those who would marry are reproductively viable. The state simply requires that the parties to a marriage be above a legislatively mandated age.

I'm leaving nothing out, the religionists are trying to foist their sacramental prejudices onto a civil institution which is not and never has been concerned with sacredotal issues. In fact, injecting religion into such a civil contract is one of the clearest cases of attempting to impose an establishment of religion. Even in the darkest days of established religion in England, the days of the Test Act and the Occassional Conformity Act, when religious creeds other than the established church's were actively and legally discriminated against, common law imposed no religious test or principle on the marriage contract. It simply has never been historically an issue until the right wingnuts in this country began having hissy fits over the prospect of gay couples marrying.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm leaving nothing out, the religionists are trying to foist their sacramental prejudices onto a civil institution which is not and never has been concerned with sacredotal issues.

LMAO You left out quite a bit. If there is anyone displaying their prejudices it's you.

Quote:
In fact, injecting religion into such a civil contract is one of the clearest cases of attempting to impose an establishment of religion. Even in the darkest days of established religion in England, the days of the Test Act and the Occassional Conformity Act, when religious creeds other than the established church's were actively and legally discriminated against, common law imposed no religious test or principle on the marriage contract. It simply has never been historically an issue until the right wingnuts in this country began having hissy fits over the prospect of gay couples marrying.

I've done quite a bit of searching about on the history of marriage in replying to these threads on A2K over the last few years and I've yet to find any reference to any society where marriage was a civil institution prior to it being a religious one. In every society I've read about marriage was a religious activity that was later adopted into civil law. The civil contract was injected into religious practice - not the other way around. The person that started this thread asked for the history of marriage. You've been very careful to couch your words in terms of "civil marrige" but neglected to mention that civil marriage originated from within the religious concept and that there is a lengthy history of marriage prior to the existance of English Common Law.

Now the followers of those relgions are being told by people like you that marrige is entirely a civil matter and that they should keep their religious opnions to themselves and keep their religious views out of an ostensibly secular civil issue.

I suspect that if we declared Hanukkah to be a secular federal holiday period and, since the menorah is a religious symbol, discarded it and replaced it with a swastika you'd hear an immediate public outcry over it (and rightly so).

Instead we've taken a ceremony that had siginficance to numerous religions and turned it into a civil affair and are now in a debate over whether or not it should encompass a practice that those religions find offensive. Then when the followers of those religions object they're told "To bad, suck it up!".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:37 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
I think, then, if the fact of the matter is that we are trying to legislate our religious convictions with out civil matters - we are going about this wrong. There is no reason to do so, simply outlaw it in your place of worship and your sphere of influence has been taken care of.

I am wondering if you think we can ignore the religious aspect outright?

IMO, the easiest way aournd all of this is to simply replace the word "marriage" in civil law with something else (civil unions is the current term most often used but it could be someting else too.) and give the word "marriage" back to the religious for a description of their religious ceremonies.

That would leave all of the laws of inheritance and those that determine things like government benefits, tax law, etc.. to be based on whether or not a civil union exists and marriage would have as much effect on legal standing as one's baptismal status does right now (none!).

I think the majority of the general public (if opinion polls are to be believed) would support that being done.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 05:42 am
Quote:
IMO, the easiest way aournd all of this is to simply replace the word "marriage" in civil law with something else (civil unions is the current term most often used but it could be someting else too.) and give the word "marriage" back to the religious for a description of their religious ceremonies.

Changing names is useless, unless we previously define what is a civil contract and a religious commitment.
Civil marriage has been, for centuries, a way to preserve and transmit property. That is why children conceived out of marriage would not be accepted as heirs - they could only receive legacies.
Today, in most of western juridical systems, there is no more such difference.
So, as a civil contract, there is nothing that prevents marriage between people of the same sex. It is only a matter of legislation, and political courage.

Only if someone wants a religious marriage - a marriage "blessed" by a church - then he must accept the rules of that specific religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:42 am
fishin' wrote:

LMAO You left out quite a bit. If there is anyone displaying their prejudices it's you.

So in fact have you. You're very careful to view the institution of marriage only as it appears in common law in the christian era. Howerver, i find it less laughable than do you, because i see you as attmpting to selectively view the record in order to impose your agenda, and that's not very funny.

Quote:
I've done quite a bit of searching about on the history of marriage in replying to these threads on A2K over the last few years and I've yet to find any reference to any society where marriage was a civil institution prior to it being a religious one. In every society I've read about marriage was a religious activity that was later adopted into civil law. The civil contract was injected into religious practice - not the other way around. The person that started this thread asked for the history of marriage. You've been very careful to couch your words in terms of "civil marrige" but neglected to mention that civil marriage originated from within the religious concept and that there is a lengthy history of marriage prior to the existance of English Common Law.

So then, you are aware that there were three recognized types of marriage in republican Roman society: the confarreatio, or ritual sharing of the libum farreum--the marriage cake, a practice limited in early Roman society to the patrician order, and symbolic of the unification of the gens represented by the couple; the coemptio, or sale of a woman to the prospective husband, symbolic of the acquisition of a gens without the implication of alliance; and finally, the usus, the uninterrupted cohabitation for a period of one year. In all three cases, the censors recognized the union of the couple, and were careful to inquire into and record any transactions in property, with the usus understood to involve only the property held by the parties to the union at the time of their cohabitation.

You must also be aware of the legal equality of women in Egyptian society, intentionally codified in the Ptolemaic era, in which marriage required neither a religious nor a legal ceremony, but the simple registration of the rights in property. That marriage in Egyptian society, once again established by long tradition (literally millenia) and codified in the Ptolemaic era, conferred upon a widow one third of all community property, with the remaining two thirds either divided by written legacy or among children of the marriage. That men could legally adopt their wives so that they would receive, in addition to one third part, a share in the remaining two thirds.

I am certain then, that you are aware that among the ancient Kelts, not only did a woman party to a marriage retain her own pre-nuptual rights in property, but that at any time at which she could demonstrate that her personal property exceeded in value the personal property of her husband, she obtained control of the disposition of all community property. This is the crucial aspect of the argument between Maeve and Aillill, which lead to Cooley's Cattle Raid, the most ancient mythic tradition of the Irish--a dispute about whose personal property was of the greatest value.

Therefore, either you are playing fast and loose with the truth about marriage in human history, and willfully ignoring pre- and non-christian institutions of marriage, from which the institutions of marriage among Europeans descend, without exception, into and through the christian era--or you have willfully or ignorantly ignored pre- and non-christian marriage, as inconvenient to your thesis.

Quote:
Now the followers of those relgions are being told by people like you that marrige is entirely a civil matter and that they should keep their religious opnions to themselves and keep their religious views out of an ostensibly secular civil issue.

By people like me? Really, Fishin', you hardly know enough about me to "type" me in such a manner. I certainly do consider that marriage is and always has been about securing rights in property, and that this has been so since long before christians, and Protestant christians in particular, came along to attempt to inject their special sacremental meanings into the contract.

Quote:
I suspect that if we declared Hanukkah to be a secular federal holiday period and, since the menorah is a religious symbol, discarded it and replaced it with a swastika you'd hear an immediate public outcry over it (and rightly so).

Instead we've taken a ceremony that had siginficance to numerous religions and turned it into a civil affair and are now in a debate over whether or not it should encompass a practice that those religions find offensive. Then when the followers of those religions object they're told "To bad, suck it up!".

Ah, it is so important to drag nazism and the symbols thereof into any politically charged debate, so as to vilify one's opponent, isn't it, Fishin'. How very, very clever of you. In that Chanukkah existed before nazism, that would be just as absurd as trying to foist self-serving christian interests off onto the institution of marriage, which has been around literally millenia longer than has christianity.

You have very conveniently and selectively reviewed history here, being most careful to suggest at the outset that this is what i have done, so that you can get that shot in and hope to make the charge stick, before it can be pointed out that this is precisely what you are doing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:56 am
Part of Farmerman's signature line has lead me to another consideration. In 1796, Joel Barlow concluded a treaty with the Bey of Tripoli of Barbary. This treaty was signed by the Muslims of that state, and then returned to the United States, at which time it was read on the floor of the Senate, unanimously approved by acclamation, and signed by President Adams. Article 11 of that treaty reads in full (with emphasis added):

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Given that this was unanimously accepted by the Senate of the Fifth Congress, one can only assume that people like you are attempting to inject a christian agena into a secular state after the fact.

When you reply, be sure to drag the Nazis into the discussion, so that you can demonize your opponent.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 04:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
fishin' wrote:

So in fact have you. You're very careful to view the institution of marriage only as it appears in common law in the christian era. Howerver, i find it less laughable than do you, because i see you as attmpting to selectively view the record in order to impose your agenda, and that's not very funny.

Really? I only addressed common law in the Christian era because that was the only era YOU had referred to. Perhaps you'd rather move on to Mayans or the Polynesians??

What "agenda" am I attempting to impose here? This is laughable.

Quote:

Quote:
So then, you are aware that there were three recognized types of marriage in republican Roman society: the confarreatio, or ritual sharing of the libum farreum--the marriage cake, a practice limited in early Roman society to the patrician order, and symbolic of the unification of the gens represented by the couple; the coemptio, or sale of a woman to the prospective husband, symbolic of the acquisition of a gens without the implication of alliance; and finally, the usus, the uninterrupted cohabitation for a period of one year. In all three cases, the censors recognized the union of the couple, and were careful to inquire into and record any transactions in property, with the usus understood to involve only the property held by the parties to the union at the time of their cohabitation.
[/quote]

I am aware of them and I'm also aware that the confarreatio was a ceremony presided over but the Roman High Priest (Pontifex Maximus) - a religious figure. You would of course also know that prior to Republican Rome the Kings of rome had absolute rule and were often deified. The Roman Republic of which you speak was largely laid out on the ideas of Plato which were a combination of religious cosmology and democratic idealism.

Quote:

You must also be aware of the legal equality of women in Egyptian society, intentionally codified in the Ptolemaic era, in which marriage required neither a religious nor a legal ceremony, but the simple registration of the rights in property.

Again, a society where the head of state maintained absolute rule and used the priests to run their kingdoms. Was there no religion behind the government when Ptolemy II took the thrown and declared himself ""Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Re"? (Anum being a minor diety and, Re of course being the the Egyptian equivalent of Zeus). It is hard to argue that there was no religious significance to laws that were laid down by people who claimed to rule through divine right.

Quote:
I am certain then, that you are aware that among the ancient Kelts, not only did a woman party to a marriage retain her own pre-nuptual rights in property, but that at any time at which she could demonstrate that her personal property exceeded in value the personal property of her husband, she obtained control of the disposition of all community property. This is the crucial aspect of the argument between Maeve and Aillill, which lead to Cooley's Cattle Raid, the most ancient mythic tradition of the Irish--a dispute about whose personal property was of the greatest value.

And I'm equeally certain you are aware that the marriage ceremenony traditionally took place on the Beltane - the 2nd most significant Pagan holiday and that the local chieftan was the legal authority over marriages and they, in turn, were subject to the laws enforced by the Druids - pagan priests.

Quote:
Therefore, either you are playing fast and loose with the truth about marriage in human history, and willfully ignoring pre- and non-christian institutions of marriage, from which the institutions of marriage among Europeans descend, without exception, into and through the christian era--or you have willfully or ignorantly ignored pre- and non-christian marriage, as inconvenient to your thesis.

If I was you'd be able to point out a society where civil law and religion had no influence on each other - where marriage law and custom was carried out in a completely secular state.

Quote:
Quote:

By people like me? Really, Fishin', you hardly know enough about me to "type" me in such a manner.

Yes, exactly like you. I've read enough of your treaties here on A2K to know.

Quote:
I certainly do consider that marriage is and always has been about securing rights in property, and that this has been so since long before christians, and Protestant christians in particular, came along to attempt to inject their special sacremental meanings into the contract.

Ummm.. I thought you said earlier that it was me that was limiting the discussion to the Christian era?

Quote:
You have very conveniently and selectively reviewed history here, being most careful to suggest at the outset that this is what i have done, so that you can get that shot in and hope to make the charge stick, before it can be pointed out that this is precisely what you are doing.

Afraid not. If there is a selective view being presented here it is your's. You can't rightly claim that marriage had no religious significance by quoting laws and neglecting to mention that the laws themselves were created in societies where religion and government were one in the same. Woman in Iran can marry, divorce, inherit, etc.. but they do so within the confines of religious law that currently rules the country. The fact that they can inherit property does't remove religion from the picture.
0 Replies