Big Chief Triangle

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:29 pm
Return of the Zen Master
Lakers rehire Jackson as coach after reconciliation

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/06/14/jackson/index.html?cnn=yes

although it'd been rumored in recent weeks, i didn't believe it would happen...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,444 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:34 pm
Huh.

I will forever adore Jackson for the Bulls years, and he did some good stuff with the Lakers. I think he was also L.A.-ified, though, to his detriment. (Not just the mistress and the bling, but the entitlement and "do you know who I am??" factor.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:48 pm
sozobe wrote:
Huh.

I will forever adore Jackson for the Bulls years, and he did some good stuff with the Lakers. I think he was also L.A.-ified, though, to his detriment. (Not just the mistress and the bling, but the entitlement and "do you know who I am??" factor.)

Yup, they lived near here when they were in IL. She was/is a wonderful woman, wife, mother. He moved the family to LA and then 'discovered' Jerry West's daughter. I used to admire him but that all made my stomach turn...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:56 pm
Yeah. I try to keep that all separate, with sports -- they're not all great people, and that's just a fact (what was Charles Barkley's line?) but I just LIKED Phil, and that whole thing pissed me off. (Was living in L.A. at the time.)
0 Replies