Starting to update from xp systems to windows 7 computers

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 12:54 pm
I had been more then happy with windows xp and had cheerfully laugh at Microsoft attempts to force me to change OSs in the last years.

However everything reach an end point an only a few months until windows 7 reached end of support itself I had picked up my first window 7 computer.

Note they are now going dirt cheap due to the of support deadline from Microsoft for 7.

Lord compare to XP the interface with it users is very bad but after installing the shell program to bring back some of the features of XP I am getting happy with the computer.

footnote no I never been hack as my layers of protect softwares had done it job with xp and I see little likelihood of being attack successfully on a 7 platform long after it end of life support.

Suggest people look into a program by the name of sandboxie for one.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,659 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 01:44 pm
I liked Win98 just fine after I got all the bug fixes installed. I upgraded to WinXP because it was free. Eventually the computer burned out and the new computer had Win7 pre-installed.

So far I have declined to pay for Windows after seeing what a lousy product Win98 was. Vista was in there somewhere and my guru described the user license as "the world's longest suicide note". What I have seen of Win10 is not just garbage, but openly hostile to the user. I can't even use my printer because it doesn't have Microsoft's permission to exist.

When I am forced to upgrade I will upgrade to Linux.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 04:14 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

I liked Win98 just fine after I got all the bug fixes installed. I upgraded to WinXP because it was free. Eventually the computer burned out and the new computer had Win7 pre-installed.

So far I have declined to pay for Windows after seeing what a lousy product Win98 was. Vista was in there somewhere and my guru described the user license as "the world's longest suicide note". What I have seen of Win10 is not just garbage, but openly hostile to the user. I can't even use my printer because it doesn't have Microsoft's permission to exist.

When I am forced to upgrade I will upgrade to Linux.

I have a computer with some minor hardware problems that I am thinking of install an OS by the name of reactOS on it an see how good it is.

Quote:
ReactOS is a
Free
Community
Opensource
Collaborative
Compatible
Free
operating system.
Imagine running your favorite Windows applications and drivers in an open-source environment you can trust. That's ReactOS. Not just an Open but also a Free operating system.

Our Features

Lightweight
500MB HDD and 96MB RAM

From Scratch
This is not Linux mimicking Windows.

9,000,000+ lines of code
And growing!

100+ devs
Have contributed along the years.

Styles
Classical and ReactOS Lautus styles.

Tons of Open Modules
From Games to Drivers: Open Source and Free.

Ready to Install...
Download our BootCD.

...or to Try.
Download our LiveCD.

and more...

Gallery
ReactOS looks like Windows and nowadays is able to run many Windows applications.

See it in action!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:52 pm
If you have a computer with a Windows 7 license, you should see if it will upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

It depends on your hardware though. Windows 10 will not run on older CPUs because it was complied using some of the more modern x86 coding:
https://web.archive.org/web/20121028174134/windows.microsoft.com/en-id/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

If the computer had Windows 7 as its original operating system, that should be new enough though.
BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If you have a computer with a Windows 7 license, you should see if it will upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

It depends on your hardware though. Windows 10 will not run on older CPUs because it was complied using some of the more modern x86 coding:
https://web.archive.org/web/20121028174134/windows.microsoft.com/en-id/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

If the computer had Windows 7 as its original operating system, that should be new enough though.

One of the first things I did was to place a program on the computer by the name of never ten to made sure that microsoft would not and can not place OS 10 on my computer behind my back as it had done to so many others.
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:35 am
@BillRM,
Is there some reason why you don't want Windows 10?
BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 12:44 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Is there some reason why you don't want Windows 10?

Let see to begin with Microsoft trying to force the OS done people throat for one thing kind of turn me off to that OS.The force updates go along with the attempt to force the OS on people.

Next all the wonderful spyware/reporting to the mothership nonsense bake into the OS.we found out about along with any such we have not found out about.

The change in their business model to

Quote:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-new-business-model-for-windows-10-pay-to-play/

The basic proposition of Windows 10 Home is "Set it and forget it." A penny-pinching PC user once was able to get by with Home edition. Now, many of the traditional management and configuration options you once took for granted are not available on this edition.

Updates, for example, can't be deferred. Both quality updates (like the monthly Patch Tuesday security fixes) and feature updates (the free major upgrades, such as the Anniversary Update) are managed by Microsoft. In addition, there are fewer customization options than in the past. Features that used to have an on-off switch now can only be managed with manual registry updates, if at all.

The so-called Windows 10 Consumer Experience means upsell opportunities appear on the Start menu automatically, with suggested apps on the left and up to five tiles on the right, for Twitter and games like Candy Crush. The Get Office app is also included in every copy of Windows 10, offering free trials with the goal of getting users to pay for a monthly or annual Office subscription.

o, you'll pay $199. Ouch.
vanmaymoingay

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2019 11:18 pm
@oralloy,
nice
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 07:43 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Updates, for example, can't be deferred. Both quality updates (like the monthly Patch Tuesday security fixes) and feature updates (the free major upgrades, such as the Anniversary Update) are managed by Microsoft. In addition, there are fewer customization options than in the past. Features that used to have an on-off switch now can only be managed with manual registry updates, if at all.

In the professional edition of Windows 10, security updates have always been able to be deferred for a month. Feature updates for an entire year.

The spring 2019 edition of Windows 10 is supposed to have a special button that will defer an update indefinitely. I can't give too many details on this new button yet though, because I am still successfully deferring feature upgrades to my fall 2018 edition.
0 Replies

oliveryuan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2020 01:23 am
@Jewels Vern,
Why don't you upgrade to Windows 10? Microsoft has no longer supported Windows 7.
0 Replies