picture help

aisling

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:08 am
Well, this picture is a screen capture from the movie Sirens and i did a bit of searching at the galleries in australia they supposedly filmed at but i couldn't find it! Please help me, i think this picture is lovely, thanks

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/devendra_20/sirensscreencapture.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 6
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:53 am
Hmmm, wish I could help.
Maybe it may say in the credits at the end 'artwork done by..'.
It may also have been painted purely for the film, as the subject matter may be trying to portray somekind of storyline in the film.

It looks Edwardian, when was the film set?

It also primarily struck me as being in a style called pointillism ie painted in tiny dots.
0 Replies

aisling

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
yeah, i checked the ending credits and it only credited two art galleries in new south wales (filmed in the "blue mountains" in australia, where it was set) and i couldn't find the picture in my searches through their galleries online...there were some pictures done for the movie, but this picture comes from the opening credit scene where this guy and hugh grant are walking through a museum and bunches of paintings are in the background as they walk
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
Material Girl, This looks Edwardian to my eye, too. One could go to a book on history of costume and pinpoint the date range for the shirt collar on the fellow wearing the topper and gray gloves. His clothing, being formal, would have stayed frozen in time long enough for its components to be named. However, from the woman's hat and the neckline of her dress--and from the singlet (?) on the young athlete, I'd estimate a date for the painting of 1910-1920.

Hard to tell from a film-capture then posted on a computer screen (!), but this artwork may be a genuine period piece. If that's the case, Aisling could check for major public galleries in NSW or adjacent areas of Australia.

I haven't seen "Siren." Aisling, does the pattern of characters in the painting echo any pattern among the characters in the film?
0 Replies

aisling

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:15 pm
thank you!
thanks for the dates, i put them in the "art gallery of new south wales" advanced search and found it! and yes it's totally edwardian

It's called "Important People" by George W. Lambert

thanks, i love you guys <3 Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 01:57 am
Hey,well done!!
I love it when a plan comes together.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
Aisling,

So glad we were able to help. Now, I'll go online to NSW and see/read the details on the Lambert painting myself!
0 Replies