Americans: Doing anything special for Columbus Day 2019?

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 09:59 pm
As of the time of the posting of this, it's Columbus Day 2019 weekend.

Happy Columbus Day 2019 in advance.

Are you doing anything special for the holiday?

I'm not. I have a lot of work to do. What about you?

I am curious- please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 781 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 10:47 pm
I may walk in the park early in the day. Mostly I will keep at home. I have never celebrated this day that I recall.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 05:26 am
@edgarblythe,
When I first started college those of us taking American Studies were invited to the head of department's flat for tea and cakes.

Since then I've been wholly unaffected by it, and never noticed it at all until today when I wrote the above post.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 07:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Since then I've been wholly unaffected by it, and never noticed it at all until today when I wrote the above post.

It's kind of an outdated holiday that has no real reason to stay active on the US calendar. Full disclosure: I'm working this Monday. I would definitely accept the day off if offered. From a cultural perspective? Celebrating a historical monster like Columbus? This day and age? It's a thing best laid to rest. But like I said... I'd still take the paid day off if it was an option where I work. Confused
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I become an ultra Royalist when we get a day off for a Royal Wedding or other celebration.

Normally I don't pay them any notice.
0 Replies