getting into acting when u live in a small city???

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:10 pm
Im still in highschool and i live in a small town that's no where near LA or New York, but im very seriouse about acting and want to start doin more than just local plays and the like. I do plan to move to LA when i graduate to persue this more seriously, but for now im going to have to stay in Idaho. I know most famouse stars started when they were young and i want to too. Is there anyway to do more seriouse things without having to move? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,345 • Replies: 4
No top replies

mac11

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:38 pm
Hi erinlovesyou, welcome to a2k.

Is there a college near you? They might be willing to let you audit a class or audition for shows.

The Idaho Shakespeare Festival has a good reputation. Are you close enough to Boise to get involved there?

The main idea is to do whatever you can to gain experience. High school and community theater are great places to get started.
0 Replies

teamventure

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:21 am
If you do a Google search for Idaho community theater, there are quite a number of entries. You should be able to find something near you! Getting involved with a local theater group could provide contacts with other acting opportunities, such as commercials or independent films.

Also, if you are indeed serious, see if there is a public high school which offers acting or drama. Here in South Jersey, there is such a school which attracts students from throughout South Jersey at no cost. Check online or with a guidance counselor.

Mac is right, try to get as much varied experience as you can!!

Team Venture
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:36 am
When you graduate and come to LA or NY, do so as a student! Enroll at a university as a theatre major. That way, you can have a life, build your skills, make contacts in the industry, etc without suffering the life of a starving actor. Be smart about it! I'm at USC right now, and though I'm not going into the acting profession, I know many people who are, and those who chose the path of university student are always the happiest.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:15 am
another idea is to look into acting camps during the summer. I would try to get into any extracurricular activity that has to do with acting. Volunteer at a community theatre, work with kids in drama classes. Some colleges have summer programs and I'm sure there would be one for acting.

It seems as though a lot of stars who have made it were either discovered by chance or started to look for opportunities like everyone has suggested in this thread. Good luck!
0 Replies