Removing tissue paper from an oil painting

dbynog

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:13 pm
Hi,

I have an oil painting that is painted on glass. The painter evidentally wrapped the painting in tissue paper to protect it before the oil was dry and now the paper is stuck to the oil paint and the glass. Is there any way of removing the tissue paper without harming the oil paint? If I try to remove the tpaper by hand the oil will come off as well. I was hoping to find a solvent that will melt the tissue paper but will leave the oil intact.

Any hope?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,858 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:29 pm
Not from me, but perhaps someone else here will have an idea.

Welcome to a2k...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:44 pm
I think I would try water.

You would think that water would dissovle tissue and you know it won't dissolve oil paint.

I'm just guessing, mind you....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:22 am
hmm.. I don't know. Maybe wait until its dry and then use water? Or spit?

Did you notify the artist that this was a terribly bad idea?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:31 pm
The water and daubing off the tissue paper with a lintless cloth would likely work. However, I think there would be some minor touch-up after the process. If any of the tissue has absorbed oil base medium or color, you might be fresh out of luck. The lowest grade of solvents as far as not attacking oil paints would be alcohol, methyline chloride and rubber cement thinner (Bestine). It's a delicate restoration job no matter how you look at it. Why anyone would wrap an oil painting in tissue even on canvas or board is beyond me. Wax paper is the best thing to wrap something like this in but if there are still wet oils on the surface, even that might lift off some paint.
0 Replies