Who's the biggest waste of talent?(re:Tyson)

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:37 am
I didn't watch the fight, but supposedly Tyson pretty much gave up, lost to an absolute stiff, and told reporters he just doesn't have the desire anymore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2083271

Growing up, I can't think of a more dominant athlete than Tyson. For one, boxing is not a team sport...your success is 100% up to you. Tyson's fights rarely lasted past the first round, and he put more fear into opponents than anyone I've seen. His fights were a joke, people would buy tickets for some obscene amount of money, and the fight would be over before they got to their seats.

Of course, he's as bright as bag of smashed lightbulbs, and because so, let his career and life hit rock bottom. At least he's provided some comical quotes..

Who are some other athletes who were a HUGE waste of talent? Off the top of my head, Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden come to mine. Both of those snow-sniffers were unreal, at least for a few years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,231 • Replies: 34
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:41 am
Hmm, have to differentiate between those who were marketed as talented and those who really were.

I think Bo Jackson really was. Brian Bosworth, not so much.

Dennis Rodman I think took too long to peak (should've earlier) and then crashed too quickly. He should have had a lot more outstanding years than he did.

Darryl Strawberry is the classic of the genre, yeah.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:27 am
Yea...Bo Jackson. Greatest video game athlete of all time(Tecmo Bowl, anyone?)

He would have had quite the career. A lot of great guys caught short from injuries. Tony C. from the Sox.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
Kobe Bryant is shaping up to join these ranks, I think. If anyone could've handled him, you'd think it would be Phil Jackson, but no. He's got tons of talent but should be way more disciplined than he is by now.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:39 pm
Tyson realized his talent. He was the boxing heavyweight champ for a long time.

That his life's been a disaster is another matter.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Tyson realized his talent. He was the boxing heavyweight champ for a long time.

That his life's been a disaster is another matter.

Not really. My point is because this guy is such a f'n moron, he never had the focus or drive to keep up the success when things got tough. His life is a disaster because most people with Down Syndrome can put together more rational thoughts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:12 pm
I never watched any Tyson fights, because I could not respect him as a man.
0 Replies

rawkinfredrik

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:52 pm
Tyson is the definition of stupidity. He has a tattoo.. on his FACE. That's ignorance.. and he's not in bliss.

Look at that. Huh. Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:05 pm
As a comparison, Muhammad Ali, held his title--World Heavyweight Title, and later, the WBA Heavyweight Title--for four years, between '64 and '67. He didn't fight for the next three years because of legal troubles. He came back in late '70 to win the NABF title, a title that was specifially created for his return to the ring. He contended for the WBA and WBC Heavyweight Title held by Joe Frazier in'71, and lost.

In all, Ali won 56 fights, 37 by KO, and lost 5.

Mike Tyson held the Heavyweight Title for four years also, begining in '86 with the WBC Heavyweight Title. In early '87 he unified the WBC and WBA Heavyweight Titles in his win against James "Bonecrusher" Smith. In late '87 he unified the WBC, WBA, and the IBC Heavyweight Titles in his win against Tony Tucker. He held all three titles until '90 when he lost against James "Buster" Douglas. He came back in March, '96 to win the WBC Heavyweight Title agains Frank Bruno, and lost it later that same year against Evander Holyfield.

In all, Tyson won 50 fights, 40 by KO, and lost 6.

Between the two, I think Ali was the better boxer.

Lennox Lewis held his titles longer, but not as consistently.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000180
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000474
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=001853
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:34 am
This is very difficult for me to say - as he is one of my favorites - but Derek Sanderson. He is the famous hockey player who in the finals of the 1970 championship laid the perfect pass on the stick of Bobby Orr that resulted in the goal that won the Bruins their first Stanley Cup in twenty-nine years.

After the 1972 season, Derek Sanderson signed a contract with the Philadelphia Blazers for a $2.6 million salary surpassed making him the highest-paid athlete in the world at the time. After that it was all down hill. After one season he returned to the Bruins but was traded to the Rangers in 1974.
He then began abusing alcohol and drugs resulting in his health deteriorating and knee injuries and his career began to go downhill. He lost millions in bad investments and with his substance abuse problems, wound up penniless, in poor health, and crippled to the point he had to get around on crutches. He was forced to accept the charity of friends who gave him a place to live, several years after his retirement, publicity about his situation brought a second chance from the goodwill of people in the city of Boston (we love Derek).

Fortunately for Derek, he beat his addictions and took a job as a professional sports broadcaster. He also helped organize State Street Global Advisors, where he was Director of the Sports Investment Group that provided professional financial advice to athletes to ensure they did not wind up impoverished as he had.
0 Replies

rawkinfredrik

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 02:41 pm
Let's not forget about our friend Ricky Williams.

HAHA! I bet he's high right now.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 02:58 pm
That guy's a spaceshot.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:13 pm
Kerry Wood. Can you say perpetually injured?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:25 pm
I'm not sure we should count baseball pitchers, because their arms can be so fragile. Having said that, who remembers Mark "The Bird" Fidrych? A phenom with the Tigers, if memory serves, who flamed out really fast...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
ralph sampson's gotta be right up there...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:35 pm
How about Sam Bowie?

And here's an obscure one for you hoops fans: Some time ago, the Blazers drafted a center named Larue Martin. He flamed out instantaneously. A sportswriter noted, "Portland needed a center in the worst way. In Larue Martin, they got one." Ouch!
0 Replies

bbaptiste

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:57 pm
My nominees would be either former NC State star, Chris Washburn or Len Bias?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:10 pm
So many basketball players. Didn't Shawn Kemp fizzle out too soon? Sean Bradley is a joke.

Vin Baker. Decided being drunk was more important than playing for his monster contract he got.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:34 pm
anybody in NASCAR. Its bowling with cars
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:34 pm
Let's give credit where credit is due...

For Mr. Kevin McBride, the Pride of the Emerald Isle! I haven't seen a good Irishman in the ring since Gerry Cooney, now there was a waste of talent! Raise your glasses ladies and gentlemen.

Glenn Robinson was a waste of first round draft pick for the Bucks. I went to a big weed-smoking high school, and kids there said they got high with Big Dog. Yeah right, but it wasn't hard to believe when you watched him take his sweet ass time to get back on defense.

Now he's sixth man for the Spurs, which is pretty much a good fit for him I think.
0 Replies