How are people uploading movies, ads, TV shows, etc., without using VHS, VCRs and other old tech?

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 06:39 pm
Hi. I am curious about this. I know VHS and VCRs are no longer being commercially produced, and video rental stores are rare. I assume whatever video stores are left still carry VHS tapes in them for rental and/or sale.

I know people would transfer what's on VHS tapes, laserdiscs, Blu ray, etc. to video sharing sites- YouTube, Metacafe, Dailymotion, etc.

How are people uploading movies, TV shows, ads, music videos, etc., without using VHS and VCRs and other old video and media formats and tech?

I am including current pieces of entertainment and media.

Are people making such recordings and uploading them using DVRs?

How are people making videos in which they record and show pics of record and/or cassette tape and/or CD covers set to music and showcasing them on video sharing sites?

How are people making videos of radio recordings to be showcased on video sharing sites? Or videos of any kind of audio recordings to be showcased on video sharing sites?

How are people making video showcases of comic panels?

I know people can record video these days using smartphones and whatever digital devices they have.

Are people still using old-fashioned video cameras? I know digital cameras are being used.

Are people still using old-fashioned tape recorders?

I don't know too much about current tech but I would like to know how this is done.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
There are video converting devices available that allow VHS tapes to be digitally saved on computer hard drives.
This article goes into more detail: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/21/18660239/vhs-tapes-digital-copies-how-to-make

Similarly, there is software that would rip video and audio from DVD, CD-ROMs, and Blu-Rays.

Much of this technology has been publicly available since at least the mid 2000s.

People and filmmakers are still using film and older cameras to produce films. Director Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, Dunkirk) is possibly most famous advocate of using old fashioned film.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:42 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I forgot about CD-roms. Thank you.

I meant, are people still using old-fashioned cameras when they are uploading videos online?
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm pretty sure that some people are using older cameras to upload videos online.
However, that would involve more hardware, time, and money to do so on a regular basis. Most people just film and upload using only their phones.

Director Steven Soderbergh (Ocean's 11) made a psychological thriller film, Unsane, using just an iPhone.

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:39 pm
@Rebelofnj,
How are people making recordings from video games?
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Xbox and Playstation allows players to record game footage to be saved on the console hard drive and can be uploaded on the players' cloud drive.

Alternatively, players can use the Twitch and Mixer apps on the console to stream their game footage online.

Another option is to connect the consoles to the PC via video capture hardware and software.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 06:00 pm
All video-sharing sites (YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, etc.) have a video upload function. You push a button to upload videos. If you create 2-D animations in Flash (or whatever 2-D animation software programs you're using) you can save them as export files to your PC or laptop and then go to whatever video-sharing site you want to use and click on the site's upload button.

You don't need any fancy equipment to help transfer your animation to a video file. All 2-D and 3-D animation software programs I presume will let you save your animations as export files and then you can upload the export files to whatever video-sharing site you want to use.

Is all of this correct?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 08:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

All video-sharing sites (YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, etc.) have a video upload function. You push a button to upload videos. If you create 2-D animations in Flash (or whatever 2-D animation software programs you're using) you can save them as export files to your PC or laptop and then go to whatever video-sharing site you want to use and click on the site's upload button.

You don't need any fancy equipment to help transfer your animation to a video file. All 2-D and 3-D animation software programs I presume will let you save your animations as export files and then you can upload the export files to whatever video-sharing site you want to use.

Is all of this correct?

Why is no one responding to this?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 09:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
Since I don't produce videos of any kind nor do I upload videos on YouTube, I'm unsure what kind of files are allowed to be uploaded.

I would have to assume that the files you are uploading have to be in mp4, m4a, or another video file format. To repeat, I'm assuming.

I'm only answering as you demanded any answer of some kind.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 01:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe or any video sharing sites.

Do you have any friends that make and/or upload videos to any of these sites?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 02:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
No. I do not have any friends who post videos on YouTube or any other video site. I also do not know anyone, friend or stranger, that regularly uses Metacafe.

I do know that the videos filmed on smartphones are automatically saved in mp4 file format.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:14 am
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you for responding.

What about Dailymotion?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:17 am
@JGoldman10,
I also don't know of anyone who posts or watch anything on Dailymotion.

I cannot think of any video that is only exclusive on Dailymotion or Metacafe.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:24 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.
0 Replies