New Contender for Worst Film Ever

Eva

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:16 pm
The 11 year old son made me take him to see "Shark Boy & Lava Girl" today. I don't know how it managed this, but it was even worse than I expected it to be. And I had VERY low expectations. This had to have been one of the worst films I've ever seen. And I've seen some bad ones in the name of good parenting. But even the 11 year old pronounced this one as "lame." (This, coming from someone who liked "Are We There Yet?") Bad acting, horrible dialogue, utterly predictable action, bad s/fx, you name it. Even the titling graphics were bad.

Honestly, I've gotta get out there by myself and see some real films soon.

I feel like I should wash my brain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,417 • Replies: 30
No top replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:25 pm
I think the worst film I ever sat through for the love of a child (my niece in this case) was a Pokemon movie. Pure drek. No redeeming value whatsoever.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:54 pm
Don't you read the critics before you go to a film? They are seldom wrong when they universally pan a film like this one. Which reminds me, I should update the critic's thread.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:45 pm
I don't stop to read what the critics say if my son really wants me to go with him to see a film, LW. At his age, I don't have much time left. Pretty soon he won't be caught dead at the movies with his (gasp!) mother.

Mac, the Pokemon movies (I had to sit through all of them, of course) were masterpieces compared with this one. This was actually painful to watch.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:58 am
I understand and sympathize. Bet you can't wait for him to grow up?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 10:52 am
On the contrary! He's my only child, and I had to wait 'til I was 40 to have him. I was told I'd probably never have the chance to be a mother, and I had plenty of years to myself before he came along. I'm in no hurry at all! These are special times. He's great company, and I love doing things with him. (Except, sometimes, for the movies he chooses! Shocked ) All the way home, we talked about the differences between good and bad films. We both liked the latest Star Wars movie, and it was easy for him to see the differences. It was an interesting conversation...you would have enjoyed listening in, I think.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:19 pm
Sounds like a precocious 11 year old! I think over half the movie made for this age group are rather lame for underestimating how ahead of their times children have become. I'm not even sure SBLG was even made for 11 year olds -- from the reviews it looks like it was made to appead to the 6 to 10 year olds.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
The director let his son who is about 7, give him 90% of the idea for the movie.
So, to enjoy it, you must regress in your age and get a giggle out of fart jokes and the word Doo-doo.

>sigh<
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:34 pm
Consider the source! I know we've had fun here and I'm guessing that's why you posted the thread. However, there are hundreds of really bad films that could easily trump this one. Try "Howard the Duck" to start.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:40 pm
Aha! They got the idea from a 7 year old! That explains everything! Smile What amazes me is that someone actually managed to persuade someone else to invest real money to fund this concept.

Obviously, I'm in the wrong business!

Hmmm..."Howard the Duck" vs. "Shark Boy & Lava Girl." That'd be a tough choice there, LW. Wink
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:24 am
Come now, Howard the Duck has its charms. I'd have to place Jeff Daniels' little gem, Escanaba in da Moonlight, at the top of the worst films list. The only remotely amusing part of the film (and this is a big stretch) was a gale-force fart scene.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:44 am
If you're enamoured of a small actor waddling around in a duck suit, I guess you could find it "charming." I found it silly and inane, and not even funny nor entertaining. My niece rented a copy for her daughter to watch and it got turned off in the first half-hour. It can't even hold the attention of a young child. I think I have to worry about you, Mill.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
BTW, I think there's a worst film list on IMDb as voted by public online voting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
Here's a site, The Stinkers.com, which is fun:

http://www.thestinkers.com/index.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
Here's the 2004 results:

WORST FILM
Catwoman

WORST SENSE OF DIRECTION (Stop them before they direct again!)
Pitof (Catwoman)

WORST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Ben Affleck (Jersey Girl and Surviving Christmas)

WORST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Halle Berry (Catwoman)

WORST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Arnold Schwarzenegger (Around the World in 80 Days) (That should also be "Worst Performance As a Governor" as his poll ratings drop to the level of Dubya's)

WORST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Sharon Stone (Catwoman)

WORST SCREENPLAY
Christmas With The Kranks

MOST PAINFULLY UNFUNNY COMEDY
White Chicks

MOST INTRUSIVE MUSICAL SCORE
Alexander

WORST SONG OR SONG PERFORMANCE IN A FILM OR ITS END CREDITS
Holla (Baha Men) (Garfield The Movie)

WORST SEQUEL
The Whole Ten Yards

MOST UNWELCOME REMAKE
Around the World in 80 Days

WORST ON-SCREEN COUPLE
Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon (Taxi)

WORST FAKE ACCENT - MALE
Richard Roxburg (Van Helsing)

WORST FAKE ACCENT - FEMALE
Rosario Dawson and Angelina Jolie (Alexander)

LEAST "SPECIAL" SPECIAL EFFECTS
Catwoman

WORST CHRISTMAS MOVIE
Christmas With The Kranks

THE SPENCER BRESLIN AWARD FOR WORST PERFORMANCE BY A CHILD
Soren Fulton (Thunderbirds)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
Angelina Jolies annoying accent in "Alexander" nearly gave me a headache. I'm not sure which was worse, that or those lips which I have difficulty not focusing on because the kept reminding me of something. Not anymore. I was up feeding my fish and happened to look closely at the lips of my two Discus. Oy Vey!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:19 am
And the site's parody of AFI's "100 Greatest Films," the "100 Worst Films" (including, BTW, "Howard the Duck -- read that review!)

http://www.thestinkers.com/100stinkers.html
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:02 am
See, even the voters at thestinkers.com agree with me--Howard the Duck isn't the worst film ever made. :wink:

And though it enjoyed national release (in actual movie theaters), Escanaba in da Moonlight was obviously not seen by the vast majority of voters; if it had, it would be #1 (it's far, far worse than Battlefield Earth).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:48 am
Okay Very Happy , but I didn't state it was the worst film, but it is a candidate and The Stinkers is only one opinion. As a matter of fact, "Howard the Duck" has tied with "Ishtar" on many critic's list of worst films. Only because films like "Plan 9 from Outer Space" has become camp and a cult classic because of its status as low budget. Films like "Howard," "Ishtar" and "Heaven's Gate" are cited because of their big budgets, sometimes big stars and their abject failures both critically and at the box office. "Howard" also put a studio in the red. I don't think you'll find a cult following for it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:52 am
(You are now obligated to watch "Howard the Duck" 100 times). Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies