I don't wanna be duped on first vehicle...

Kiyeho

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:03 pm
I need some advice on what to look for in a first vehicle..I'm getting a learner's permit and by the time I finally have a license, I want to know what I'm looking for when I purchase my first ride.

I know pretty much nothing about cars except my brother has a Toyota corola or however it's spelled, it's lasted over a hundred thousand miles and despite lots of abuse to the brakes and lack of oil changes, it still runs phenomonally.

I myself am not really looking for a car. I don't have a need to go very fast or carry very much. Nonetheless, I'm oblivious to what kind of mileage or durability other vehicles have. I have a somewhat childhood affinity for MoPeds but if it's totally illogical to get one I'm not going to waste my time.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice and help me make this an informed buy? I've got awhile to pick up information, compare and all that, but I would like some pointers as to where to start...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,347 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:10 pm
Don't make rash decisions. Find something you like that sounds like a good deal. Go home and research it. What are others cars of the same make, model, and condition going for? Has it been in any accidents? Can you really afford it?

Take into consideration who you are buying from. You can find good deals in the newspaper that are for sale buy owner but you won't get any warantees if you buy from an individual.

If after a day or two you still feel good about the vehicle then submit an offer. You can usually talk the price down at least a little bit so don't automatically offer the asking price.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:15 pm
you can also get a boatload of info on sites like edmunds (www.edmunds.com) or kelly blue book(www.kbb.com). they have reviews on each year, make and model of car and even list some for sale too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 03:08 pm
Yes, Edmunds is a very good place to look.
Also, try cartalk.com
These 2 brothers have a really funny call in show on public radio. I'm sure you can find the times of their show on the website.
It's all people calling in with their used car problems.

I personally think you are right on target with a Toyota Corolla.
I had one I bought new that had 250,000 miles on it! I did keep up with the oil changes, brakes, tires and so forth.
I would have had it for another 50,000 if I hadn't been hit by someone running a red light.

My first car at 17 was just an old used clunker, a AMC Hornet - really funny, the air conditioner had a "desert only" setting. My friends really ribbed me about that.

I had a new car after that, let's see, bought it in 1980, a Pontiac Sunbird. Piece of crap.

Since then I've only owned the Corollas. The first one that lasted 250,000. The 2nd one I had to buy used since I'd been totaled and had to get a car in a rush.
This second one wasn't that great, but considering the abuse I think it took before I got it, it was a brave little car.

I bought my latest Corolla new in Oct of 2000. It now has about 72,000 on it and runs almost like it was new.
I'm sure I'll have it at least 4 or 5 years more.

If you can in any way afford a new one, go for that. You won't have to deal with anyone elses problems.
If not, just make sure the brakes are good and have someone who knows check under the hood.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:56 pm
When you've got a candadate you really really like get the owner to let you take it to a triple A diagnostic center. Then you'll have NO surprises.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 06:40 pm
Kiyeho, what do you want the car for? How often will you be driving? How far? Will you be transporting things? People? How many people? Any children to be transported?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 06:47 pm
Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Can't go wrong with any one of those, especially the first two.
0 Replies

Kiyeho

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 10:17 am
Beth: At current my only driving concerns would be to go to classes downtown, job route, and to volunteer work. I probably wouldn't be transporting much, I figure, probably groceries, mainly. As for other people. At most I would probably have one passenger at a time, none of them younger than 16.

As for the other posts:

Thanks for the links! It's going to help me quite a bit now that I have a place to start =)
0 Replies

gollan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:07 pm
Hi I work for a car dealer in canada, if a deal seems too good it generally is.... imports, toyota honda are excellent as long as they have been well maintained, if they haven't cost of repairs are higher than a domestic eg ford, dodge, gmc.... check for accidents etc most place you can take the serial number and call the local dealership that handel that kind of vehicle, they can pull up repair history etc... if ya need any info i would be happy to assist,,,,, lemon reports are not always true!!!
0 Replies