My Smoke Detector has taken a dislike to my Clothes Dryer

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:11 pm
The smoke detector is on the doorway between the utility/laundry room and the hall. Since the real heat of summer started this week the smoke detector has been started beeping when the drier is five or ten minutes into its cycle.

I can stop the beeping by turning a fan on to blow the hot air out of the utility room.

Should I be stopping the beeping or worrying about why the smoke detector is beeping in the first place?

The smoke detector has been around for two-three years and has never objected to the drier before.

Opinions, please--ideally, soothing opinions, but I'll settle for inconvenient fact.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,397 • Replies: 6
No top replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:40 pm
question one -
Is the dryer vented to the outside?

It could be the humidity from the dryer is causing just enough fog in the air to set the smoke detector off.

If the dryer is vented to the outside you might want to check and make sure your vent isn't clogged and/or the piping from the dryer to the outside hasn't come apart somewhere.

The good news is - If you don't blow the air out of the room then you will know the clothes are dry when the smoke detector stops beeping.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:43 pm
question 2

Is the beep from the detector the horrible "I detect a fire" beep or the "I think my battery is dying" beep?

If the battery is getting low the heat and humidity could cause it to beep by reducing the effectiveness of the existing battery in any number of ways.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:00 pm
Parados--

O' wise one, O' guru of gurus. In gratitude I write:

No, the drier is not vented to the outside and the silly little lint sock was emptied, washed and replaced in May.

The battery is full strength--as is the beeping. The smoke detector screams of fire and marauders and Beasts that Go Bump in the Night.

I'm delighted to know that the problem is probably in the sensitive smoke detector rather than the treacherous clothes dryer.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:05 pm
Noddy, I've found that my smoke detector behaves when I use compressed "air in a can" to clean the dust out. I do that when I change the batteries.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:54 pm
Bella Dea--

Thanks. If I can get up the ladder.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
We had a smoke detector in our hallway that went off everytime someone took a shower--the whole heat/humidity thing. We replaced it with a new smoke detector (~$20) and haven't had a problem since.
0 Replies