How is a show like AFV still airing if VCRs and VHS are "dead"?

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:37 pm
Hi. I am a bit curious about this. I don't know too much about current pop culture or current tech trends.

America's Funniest Home Videos is a TV series that been on TV since the late '80s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Funniest_Home_Videos

I know back in the day, long before the advent of commercialized internet access, and before we had all this digital tech we have now (smartphones, digital touchscreen tablets, etc.), people would send in their videos on VHS tapes to the show to be showcased on the show. People recorded their videos using regular camcorders and VHS tapes.

I know these days, people can record video using smartphones or any kind of digital device that has a camera built into it.

People can upload their videos to AFV's website:

https://afv.com/

Do people still record videos using camcorders? How are they doing that without VHS tapes? I assume most camcorders being produced and used commercially now are digital recorders. If so, how do these digital camcorders work?

I saw this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxell-GX-MP-High-Quality-120-Camcorder-tapes-3-Pack/660554221

Why and how are people still using camcorder tapes if VHS and VCRS are "dead"?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,725 • Replies: 17
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:40 pm
I think smart phones can record video.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:41 pm
@oralloy,
Hi. I just said that. Yes they can. I own a smartphone.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
So you are asking how digital camcorders work?

Just like the recorders on a smart phone except with a higher quality optical system.

I expect that most of these videos are recorded with smart phones.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 07:06 pm
@oralloy,
Yes, but I am also asking how and why camcorder tapes are still being used if VHS and VCRs were discontinued.

An 8mm camcorder tape, according to the link I provided above, is still a videotape. How is a 8mm camcorder tape different from a VHS tape?
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 07:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
I assume that tapes are not being used, and that these videos are all being recorded digitally.

That's just an assumption however.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 07:11 pm
@oralloy,
Hi. I was in the middle of editing my post. In case you missed it:

JGoldman10 wrote:

Yes, but I am also asking how and why camcorder tapes are still being used if VHS and VCRs were discontinued.

An 8mm camcorder tape, according to the link I provided above, is still a videotape. How is a 8mm camcorder tape different from a VHS tape?
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 07:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Here's an article about 8mm camcorder tapes and a little bit about how it differs from VHS:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format

Here's an article about the (now obsolete) digital version of such tapes:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital8

Here's an article about the Mini DV tapes that displaced 8mm:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV#Magnetic_tape
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 03:20 am
@oralloy,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 01:08 am
For one thing, a VHS tape is several HOURS long. When Art Bell was alive (1990s) people would record his radio shows on VHS tapes because they couldn't get regular audio tape reels that big.

Also VHS cartridge is a lot harder to lose than any digital medium.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 09:48 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why and how are people still using camcorder tapes if VHS and VCRS are "dead"?

Commercially, they're dead. But the technology still exists. The laws of physics haven't changed after the mass production of VCRs and cassette tapes have been taken ... off-line and made counter to mainstream.

Quote:
Do people still record videos using camcorders?

Yes. They do (albeit a very small and nearly invisible niche group). They're called (derogatively) hipsters.

New cassette tapes (music) are also still being produced and are also a hipster fashion based strictly sentimentality rather than recording quality.

AS for your initial question:
Quote:
How is a show like AFV still airing if VCRs and VHS are "dead"?

The two are completely separate issues (which you already acknowledged given the recognition of digital camera technology).
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 03:35 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

For one thing, a VHS tape is several HOURS long. When Art Bell was alive (1990s) people would record his radio shows on VHS tapes because they couldn't get regular audio tape reels that big.

Also VHS cartridge is a lot harder to lose than any digital medium.

How does one record a radio show on VHS?

If VHS cartridge is harder to lose why is it no longer being mass produced?
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 03:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
How does one record a radio show on VHS?

Perhaps by feeding the audio into the input jacks without bothering with any video signal.

I'm just guessing.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:34 pm
@oralloy,
For some reason when Jewels said that people would record Art Bell's radio shows on VHS tapes I pictured people just recording video footage of radios that were on and tuned in to his radio shows.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:42 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

If VHS cartridge is harder to lose why is it no longer being mass produced?

Why is this question not being answered?
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:06 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm not sure if any kind of videotape is being mass produced anymore. But I suspect that the reason why VHS lost out to smaller tapes when it comes to camcorders is because consumers preferred something small and portable.

A camcorder that is large enough to accept a VHS tape would be pretty bulky.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:48 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

A camcorder that is large enough to accept a VHS tape would be pretty bulky.

Not failing to add that current digital cameras also clearly outperform VHS in terms of video quality and accessibility in the sharing department.

Virtually everyone has a better way to record video... on their cell phones (which are for the most part pocketable and rechargeable). The same can't be said for those clunky and fragile behemoths that are the VHS camcorders. An obvious sentiment of reality that makes the OP's recent question more naïve at best.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 09:57 am
@tsarstepan,
When my dad was around, he was tech-savvy; he tried to keep up with current tech that was around at the time. I bet if he were still around, he'd have at least one blog (or vlog) online, and at least one channel on one of the video sharing sites (YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, etc.), and at least one social media account (Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Instagram, etc.).

I am not as tech-savvy like he was. I know more about computers and the Internet than my mother, and I know a little about current tech, but there's still a lot I want and need to learn.

It took me a couple of years to get used to modern 21st century tech. I was reluctant to assimilate at first. I tuned the tech out at first. A couple of years ago, when Obama was still in office, I met a young man, who was probably college-aged, at my local library one morning. We were sitting outside of the front of the library waiting for it to open, and he started talking to me. We had a discussion about current digital tech and the young men educated me a bit about some of the tech we have now.
0 Replies